Calabrazza

Mhurst

Silvermoon wants a 50 percent deposit. I'm hesitant to do that. What about questionable weather or something else. I assumed they would hold the CC to hold the reservation, but I'm not putting down that much of a deposit.

Silvermoon wants a 50 percent deposit. I'm hesitant to do that. What about questionable weather or something else. I assumed they would hold the CC to hold the reservation, but I'm not putting down that much of a deposit.

Many private excursion operators and Calabaza want a deposit to hold your reservation.

If Silver Moon does not sail, your money is refunded. You pay the final amount for excursion in cash when you sail. You can cancel your reservation up to a certain time before sailing if for some reason you can not sail and receive full refund of deposit. This company is a first class operation.

You can also find reviews of Silver Moon on this cc board.

Edited by texkan

Texcan, what I wonder is if the weather is rainy or really windy, and they still go out, but we don't want to, then we have lost our deposit. We had this before where the operator went out anyway, and we had a lousy time crammed in the cabin.

Texcan, what I wonder is if the weather is rainy or really windy, and they still go out, but we don't want to, then we have lost our deposit. We had this before where the operator went out anyway, and we had a lousy time crammed in the cabin.

Yes, you will lose deposit if operator sails and you are not there. Operators can not do business without deposit and no show customers.

Believe ship excursions work the same way.

You might be better off just finding an operator in the port that day.

You just have to be positive and go for it :)

This March, our entire cruise was affected by unusual Winter Swells. Gina was awesome in her honesty, and said she was concerned about the visibility and turtles being there. Our day was not affected, either by motion or weather...It was somewhat overcast, but it was truly an amazing day. I am hopeful that your trip would not be terrible, even if the weather did not cooperate!! :D I understand your concern with such a large # of people's money, but unless you want to go on a cattle call catamaran, I would not wait to book @ the dock or go on the ship's excursion.

If turtles are your priority, there are several posts about people taking small boats out from the beach at Payne's Bay and having success. That is where the cats all go, and then sail over to Carlisle (sp?) Bay for additional snorkeling. Barbados has B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L beaches and places to see if you would rather be safe than sorry, maybe check out getting an island tour with beach time?

Whatever you decide, I wish you a safe trip full of wonderful memories!!

I already booked with Gina for 9 people for our January 2014 cruise and I haven't had to pay anything up front. I had to give Gina a credit card # to hold our reservation but nothing has been charged to it.

That's what I'm talking about. This is how they do hotels too.

Gina and her crew get great reviews so I'm didn't hesitate at all to give her my CC#. People have said that when the weather is bad or the seas are rough, she hasn't hesitated to cancel or give her customers the option. I feel confident that if we can't go out, she won't force us. This excursion is #1 so I'm willing to take the chance.

I already booked with Gina for 9 people for our January 2014 cruise and I haven't had to pay anything up front. I had to give Gina a credit card # to hold our reservation but nothing has been charged to it.

Gina is wonderful to work with - great excursion. As far as deposits, the credit card guarantees you a spot (that many others would gladly take). I'm willing to bet that if she sails, and you decide not to show up, for whatever reason, your card will be charged. (an exception would be made if the sip doesn't make port.)

Gina is wonderful to work with - great excursion. As far as deposits, the credit card guarantees you a spot (that many others would gladly take). I'm willing to bet that if she sails, and you decide not to show up, for whatever reason, your card will be charged. (an exception would be made if the sip doesn't make port.)

I totally understand that if I don't show up I will be charged for the 9 people. Gina is running a business and needs to fill up her excursions to make money. I have no plans on not showing up, even if the weather is bad, I will be there. I'm confident that Gina won't take us out if we are not going to have a good experience. She has a great reputation and she's not going to lose that for a few bucks.

• 5 months later...
During our recent cruise we booked daysails from both St Thomas and Barbados. Our day with Calabaza was the highlight hands down. In fact, it is one of the very best excursions I have ever taken, anywhere!

We have sailed with Kathleen of Highpockets several times in Sy. Thomas. Have you used her? Our next cruise we go to St. Thomas again and Barbados. The reviews for Calabaza looks amazing. So if it's Highpockets you have sailed with do you think Calabaza is even better?

We have sailed with Kathleen of Highpockets several times in Sy. Thomas. Have you used her? Our next cruise we go to St. Thomas again and Barbados. The reviews for Calabaza looks amazing. So if it's Highpockets you have sailed with do you think Calabaza is even better?

Yes, we did sail on Hoghpockets too. I have nothing bad to say at all about that experience, we had a very good time. Our day on Calabaza was just over the top. It's hard to pinpoint why but here are a few examples; the snorkeling was better, a crew member accompanies guests into the water, the cat is simply amazing - spacious with room to spread out (we felt cramped on Highpockets, but in fairness, it's a different type of vessel) you will receive the day's photos and recipes via e-mail following your trip.

We are cruising next April and will be returning to St Thomas (choosing a different activity), but sadly not Barbados, where I would have jumped at the chance to sail Calabaza again.

I recommend you give them a try.

Yes, we did sail on Hoghpockets too. I have nothing bad to say at all about that experience, we had a very good time. Our day on Calabaza was just over the top. It's hard to pinpoint why but here are a few examples; the snorkeling was better, a crew member accompanies guests into the water, the cat is simply amazing - spacious with room to spread out (we felt cramped on Highpockets, but in fairness, it's a different type of vessel) you will receive the day's photos and recipes via e-mail following your trip.

We are cruising next April and will be returning to St Thomas (choosing a different activity), but sadly not Barbados, where I would have jumped at the chance to sail Calabaza again.

I recommend you give them a try.

OK, thanks. That helps to hear from someone who has sailed Highpockets. Since we have 5 ports on the sailing trying to budget out to where we have some things planned that aren't as expensive. We did a tandem sail with Kathleen because I had 8 people total. Nice to know if I have 8 again that we could all be on the same boat. I love Kathleen's lunch, but I have her recipes and can make it at home.