Help1 tour Company or more St. Pete,Tallinn, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Berlin

Based on my families need (multi-generational) I am turning 50 - my b-day cruise and Roger is 51. My boys are 16,16 & 20 and my mom is 74 and also medical needs - my mom needs wheelchair for distance (will use scooter on ship wc off) and my boys all have a metabolic disease and can tire easy we are planning private tours in all of our ports for just the 6 of use.

I have perused the boards, read a ton and have asked for quotes for several companies that seem to do all the countries/cities but Copenhagen and I have written to them to get quotes - some have responded some have not yet. See Below.

I have asked for quotes from Alla (have not heard back since sent email Wednesday), SPB tours (have not heard back) Red October (heard back that evening), St, Petersburg Tours (have not heard back yet) and Tj Tours - heard back yesterday and have been engaging in a dialogue. I initially chose thse companies as I beleive most if not all of them could do most of the countries on our cruise. however, at this time I am also sending some emails to companies that only do 1 or 2 of the countries and will look for local guides in the other countries to try to get prices sorted out.

I have made a spreadsheet with the comapny name and price (some give discounts for my boys as they are all students) and some give discounts if you use them in more than one city. I will compare that to country specific tours too. I am hoping to have the comparison done by next Wednesday so when I go to Florida to see my mother for a long weekend for her birthday we can go over the list and decide which works best for us. There are certain sites we want to see in certain places that may not necessarily be the same as the big tours take everyone too.

Here is my list of what we want to see:

St. Petersburg:

Hermitage if(early time would be great as with the boys wont be spending horus and hours there)

Grand Choral Synagogue as we are Jewish and we arrive there on a Saturday so hoping they are holding services so we would like to go here Saturday in the morning – probably first stop of the day.

The magnificent bridges in St. Petersburg – especially the one with the horsemen.

Travel to Petergof by hydrofoil and see Petergof

Puskin

Peter & Paul Fortress

Kuntzkamera museum

Catherine's Palace

St. Isaac's, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

The Bronze Horseman Statue. Strange request too while we do not necessarily want to ride the subway I would like to see the subway system as I have heard it is amazing

Berlin:

We would like to initially stop at Sachsenhausen, the concentration camp outside of Berlin on our way to Berlin. We do not plan to spend a long time there – just would like to see it. We also would like to see Hitler’s Bunker, the Brandenburg Gate & checkpoint Charlie, Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Holocaust Memorial), Jewish Quarter in Berlin or see the cars at Classic Remise Berlin.

Helinki:

With my mom needing a wheelchair for long walks (and likely one of my boys) the HOHO is not an option for us. In Helsinki I would like to do a panoramic tour (without a lot of walking) and see the Olympic Stadium, the Opera House and the Rock Church, City Hall, Parliament House, and Finlandia.

Stockholm:

Clearly in Stockholm looking forward to the Vasa Museum and funny my boys have all seen or read part of the Dragon Tattoo series (I have read them all) and we are thinking of a little stop by in Södermalm, (which I hear is now sort of like the village in NYC). Also would like to see Fjällgatan and Old towne, City Hall. Also would like to see the technology museum if time

Tallinn:

In Tallin I have the concern that the streets are cobblestone. I am not sure what there is to do or see there and would be open to suggestions for a short maybe 3 hour tour.

Copenhagen:

We clearly want to spend a good amount of time at Tivoli Gardens and not sure where else.

So what I am seeking is suggetions for guides that are city specific. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

Sharon

We are on the Prinsendam and booked with Alla Tours. We are taking the Group Tour option in St. Petersburg as the private option for a small group (especially the Jewish option is much more expensive). Another group on our ship is booking with Red October and they are getting a private tour for a group of 5 of them for not much more than our Alla tour is costing. Why don't you check out Red October as you are citing epeciallized needs meaning you need a private tour for your family.

I have asked for quotes from Red October, TJ TOurs, Alla, SPB and a couple others for several cities or one cities. Still getting replies and trying to sort out details of who can do what, who says they cant do what, etc.

What I was wondering was wwehter peo0ple had used different companies in different cities or stuck with one company for many cities as some companies only do say St. Petersburg or Berlin or Copenhagen or Stockholm.

Yes we specifically need private tours for medical reasons, etc. We do not necesarily want to to the whole Jewish tour but there are specific things we want to see in specific locations.

Thanks

Sharon

In Copenhagen its guides.dk you have to use because in Denmark you need a tourist guide education and licence.

Also they are unionized.

So all other companies that are advertising tours in Copenhagen is probably doing it illegally.

We are using Alla for the 5 cities. One of our roll call members has split between Alla and SPB. There is definitely some savings if you do the 5 cities with one operator.

I'm surprised that you have not heard back from several of the operators. I found Alla (and Victoria at SPB) very quick to answer emails.

Try setting up a personal account on Alla's website and post your questions. I think you will get very fast answers. She's got the skills for people with mobility issues as well and give you some advice:D

For Copenhagen, we are doing a walking tour with Sandemans. you might want to contact them to see what type of private tours they can offer you.

hope this helps:D

I have finally heard back from Amanda at SPB-Tours and I did hear from, TJ Tours, Red October andfinally Alla. I have also heard from a few of the other companies. I will now work to complete my spreadsheet to see who actually read what I wrote and wanted to see (it is clear some want to push a specific tour and there are specific places we want to see that are not necessarily standard stops). I will compare what they offer and and the cost and then when I am with my mom this weekend we will determine which works for us. I will say I made it clear we wanted to see the Grand Choral Synagog in St. Petersburg and 2 companies left that off and that we also wanted to see Kuntzkamera museum and some left this off. One refused to do Tallin for us as they said they only offered Walking tours - while the others did say they could do it but made clear there is some walking. In my email I set forth while my mom walks, the wheelchair makes it easier for here and we have someone who can push her. One clearly read my email wrong when they said you did not indicate you wanted to see the Hermitage - hmmm all my emails were pretty identical and that was the first thing (but also made it clear that with 3 boys 16,16, 20 that we would most not likely be spending hours on hours there).

I was also looking for names of some other companies that specifically do the other countries like Berloin, Helsinki, Stockholm Tallinnn and Copenhagen (thank you Danish VIking I have that site and looking for one),

Thanks

Sharon

Sharon

We used SPB tours, but we only did St Petersburg with them. We were thrilled with their concerns that we really have a grand time with them. I'll give you one example. We are also of the Jewish faith. While we did not look for a Jewish tour but we did want to see the Grand Choral Synagogue which was not included in our itinerary. When I mentioned this to Viktoria, she immediately included it in our second days itinerary. The others on the tour knew nothing about this, but when it was announced that we would be visiting this 'extra' place, everyone was thrilled.

We couldn't have been happier about this courtesy by SPB Tours. I'm sure all the tour companies will bend over backwards to try and make your tour as memorable as possible, but we know first hand SPB Tours did it for us.

The Grand Choral Synagogue is just not to be missed.

Here are a few pix of it so you will know what to expect

From the outside

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe991.jpg

The main sanctuary

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe985.jpg

Their Chuppah

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe974.jpg

The bimah

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe981.jpg

The main entrance

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe970.jpg

AND, if you have some time, a nice Kosher restaurant next door

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe990.jpg

We also visited the Helsinki Synagogue on Saturday but were not even allowed on the grounds.--Security being what it is. Maybe with a private tour that can be arranged

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1086.jpg

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Sharon

We used SPB tours, but we only did St Petersburg with them. We were thrilled with their concerns that we really have a grand time with them. I'll give you one example. We are also of the Jewish faith. While we did not look for a Jewish tour but we did want to see the Grand Choral Synagogue which was not included in our itinerary. When I mentioned this to Viktoria, she immediately included it in our second days itinerary. The others on the tour knew nothing about this, but when it was announced that we would be visiting this 'extra' place, everyone was thrilled.

Thanks Len - one of my close friends from work is Jewish also (like me) and born and raised in Russia (been here since she was in her early 20s) and she told me it is also a must - so it will be added. We are not looking for a specific Jewish tour either per se - as my partner Roger he is not Jewish. My boys have seen some amazing Synagogue in the past few years -including Congregation Mickve Israel in the heart of the Historic District of Savannah, GA which is the 3rd oldest in the US plus the old Synagogue Rome in August 2011.

In Berlin for me it is a must for my boys to see Sachsenhausen, the concentration camp outside of Berlin on our way to Berlin. We do not plan to spend much time there but I want them to see it.

If you only used Alla in St. Petersburg - did you do your other ports DIY or did you use other comapnies

Thanks

Sharon

Thanks Len - one of my close friends from work is Jewish also (like me) and born and raised in Russia (been here since she was in her early 20s) and she told me it is also a must - so it will be added. We are not looking for a specific Jewish tour either per se - as my partner Roger he is not Jewish. My boys have seen some amazing Synagogue in the past few years -including Congregation Mickve Israel in the heart of the Historic District of Savannah, GA which is the 3rd oldest in the US plus the old Synagogue Rome in August 2011.

In Berlin for me it is a must for my boys to see Sachsenhausen, the concentration camp outside of Berlin on our way to Berlin. We do not plan to spend much time there but I want them to see it.

If you only used Alla in St. Petersburg - did you do your other ports DIY or did you use other comapnies

Thanks

Sharon

If you only used Alla in St. Petersburg - did you do your other ports DIY or did you use other companies

We did NOT use Alla in St Petersburg. We used SPB Tours. (http://www.spb-tours.com/st-petersburg/en/node). They do a fantastic job in all the other cities as well.

We preferred to do the other cities on our own, as we love to just wander about, do some shopping, and take a lot of pix. I would never consider any ship's excursion, but SPB Tours, as well as any of the other major players, all have multiply city tours right now, and, I'm sure, they all do a great job.

I was in business for 30 years dealing with the public and customer service is paramount to me, above a few dollars here and there. The service I received from SPB Tours was first rate and that's what sold me on them.

Cheers

Len

I was in business for 30 years dealing with the public and customer service is paramount to me, above a few dollars here and there. The service I received from SPB Tours was first rate and that's what sold me on them.

Customer service is one of the biggest thing for me. I am flying 6 people to Amsterdam from Philly and taking 6 people on a cruise a few dollars at this point wont break me. I specifically ask specific questions, list my kids needs and my moms needs and what we need. I did this when we went to Athens - when I wrote to about 5 companies most offered either 4 or 8 hour tours - I wanted 5-6 as one of my sons was sicker at the time - it was his MAW trip and I was not sure what he would be able to do, etc. Only 1 came back exactly with what we asked for not trying to offer us their standard tour. The comapny won my business and actually my Gfs business when they went the following summer on the same cruise for her daughter's Make A Wish trip. I need someone who can accomodate my moms wheelchair or her need for a bathroom, the need for one of my boys to rest and with the ability for us to change up something if need be. As such the companies response and customer service weighs heavily. I am heading to Florida on Thursday for a long weekend for my mom's birthday and will go over all the details with her before deciding and will have all the information in a spreadsheet, etc. I am very anal and detail oriented so that will help.

Sharon

• 2 months later...

Just returned from our Baltic Cruise - we used Alla Tours for St. petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Warnemunde (most of the group went to Berlin - a few of us Rostock & Schwerin) and Tallin.

We were very pleased - we did the Grand tour in St. Petersburg with her.

I think as long as you have one of the 3 major players you should be fine (SPB and Alla are both among them).

All well done and so much more seen than with a ship's tour.:D

Based on my families need (multi-generational) I am turning 50 - my b-day cruise and Roger is 51. My boys are 16,16 & 20 and my mom is 74 and also medical needs - my mom needs wheelchair for distance (will use scooter on ship wc off) and my boys all have a metabolic disease and can tire easy we are planning private tours in all of our ports for just the 6 of use.

I have perused the boards, read a ton and have asked for quotes for several companies that seem to do all the countries/cities but Copenhagen and I have written to them to get quotes - some have responded some have not yet. See Below.

Sharon,

Just happened to check the boards to help people out - we just returned from a Baltic Cruise and we used SPB tours (Vika) as a private group of 6. When you are a private tour, this company for sure will create excursions to meet any and all of your needs and requests. I must tell you they were stellar when it came to us. It's a busy season so give them another 24 hours. Try again vika@spb-tours .com with your request and can even mention that Bobbi from Eurodam told you to get in touch. They even helped our friends from London within one week of the cruise. BTW Choral Synagogue is gorgeous...........

Bobbi

I have asked for quotes from Alla (have not heard back since sent email Wednesday), SPB tours (have not heard back) Red October (heard back that evening), St, Petersburg Tours (have not heard back yet) and Tj Tours - heard back yesterday and have been engaging in a dialogue. I initially chose thse companies as I beleive most if not all of them could do most of the countries on our cruise. however, at this time I am also sending some emails to companies that only do 1 or 2 of the countries and will look for local guides in the other countries to try to get prices sorted out.

I have made a spreadsheet with the comapny name and price (some give discounts for my boys as they are all students) and some give discounts if you use them in more than one city. I will compare that to country specific tours too. I am hoping to have the comparison done by next Wednesday so when I go to Florida to see my mother for a long weekend for her birthday we can go over the list and decide which works best for us. There are certain sites we want to see in certain places that may not necessarily be the same as the big tours take everyone too.

Here is my list of what we want to see:

St. Petersburg:

Hermitage if(early time would be great as with the boys wont be spending horus and hours there)

Grand Choral Synagogue as we are Jewish and we arrive there on a Saturday so hoping they are holding services so we would like to go here Saturday in the morning – probably first stop of the day.

The magnificent bridges in St. Petersburg – especially the one with the horsemen.

Travel to Petergof by hydrofoil and see Petergof

Puskin

Peter & Paul Fortress

Kuntzkamera museum

Catherine's Palace

St. Isaac's, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

The Bronze Horseman Statue. Strange request too while we do not necessarily want to ride the subway I would like to see the subway system as I have heard it is amazing

Berlin:

We would like to initially stop at Sachsenhausen, the concentration camp outside of Berlin on our way to Berlin. We do not plan to spend a long time there – just would like to see it. We also would like to see Hitler’s Bunker, the Brandenburg Gate & checkpoint Charlie, Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Holocaust Memorial), Jewish Quarter in Berlin or see the cars at Classic Remise Berlin.

Helinki:

With my mom needing a wheelchair for long walks (and likely one of my boys) the HOHO is not an option for us. In Helsinki I would like to do a panoramic tour (without a lot of walking) and see the Olympic Stadium, the Opera House and the Rock Church, City Hall, Parliament House, and Finlandia.

Stockholm:

Clearly in Stockholm looking forward to the Vasa Museum and funny my boys have all seen or read part of the Dragon Tattoo series (I have read them all) and we are thinking of a little stop by in Södermalm, (which I hear is now sort of like the village in NYC). Also would like to see Fjällgatan and Old towne, City Hall. Also would like to see the technology museum if time

Tallinn:

In Tallin I have the concern that the streets are cobblestone. I am not sure what there is to do or see there and would be open to suggestions for a short maybe 3 hour tour.

Copenhagen:

We clearly want to spend a good amount of time at Tivoli Gardens and not sure where else.

So what I am seeking is suggetions for guides that are city specific. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

Sharon

Sharon,

We booked a four city tour with TJ Travel in May, 2013, in conjunction with our cruise on the Norwegian Star. We were thoroughly pleased with all pre-cruise communications and the quality of the tours we received.

The guides in Berlin (Boris) and St. Petersburg (Nina) were particularly good. If you have very specific locations that you wish to visit which differ from the established tour, TJ will arrange a private tour, but that is quite expensive.

Good luck and enjoy!:)

We are booked with TJ tours. They were the most responsive to a few of the off beat requests we had plus the need to have the wheelchair with us for my mom. I had a few communications with Vika at SPB and honestly she did not impress me. My first email was not answered som48 hours later I resent and got a response but no warm and comfy. I sent basically the same email to 4-5 major companies with what we wanted to see and what we needed based on mobility issues and medical issues. I was also very clear we only wanted private tours for the 6 of us. TJ tours seemed like the only one who spent the time to actually read my requests and needs and then work to make what we wanted to do happen.

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked SPB with Alla tours. It was DH, DS15 and I. Had a great time, on our own schedule. In Copenhagen we did the Segway tour from the dock. DS and DH loved it....... I'm more of a chicken so although it was great fun I feel no urge to do again... I just mention it because I know it will not work for your Mom but the teens may really like it.

• 2 years later...
We booked SPB with Alla tours. It was DH, DS15 and I. Had a great time, on our own schedule. In Copenhagen we did the Segway tour from the dock. DS and DH loved it....... I'm more of a chicken so although it was great fun I feel no urge to do again... I just mention it because I know it will not work for your Mom but the teens may really like it.

Hi Elaine,

We are going to Copenhagen on a cruise this summer and I noticed that you dh and ds did the Segway.

Can you tell me a little bit about it? Were they available right from the dock? How long was their tour? I know there is a 1 hour and 2 hour.

We would also like to go to Tivoli and on a canal tour.

Thank You!

Was going to recommend TJ, then saw you'd decided on them already. We did a private tour in SPB, just the 8 of us, and they were exceptionally helpful to tailor it to our wishes. We asked for one place they had never been, but handled it well, and that stop made my dd's day. We also ran ahead of schedule and our tour guide suggested a great coffee and ice cream shop for mid afternoon break.

I suspect you will be very pleased with them.