Minimum age for bear excursions

emeltee

I was just looking over WalleyeLJ's awesome trip review. Love the bear photos!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

I'm wondering what is a good minimum age for bear excursions. We are not doing any bear excursions on this trip since our girls are still young. I've already told DH that we will return to Alaska one day when our girls are older so that we can do all the things we are skipping on this trip due to the ages of our girls.

Our youngest is 4, so how long do I have to wait before I can plan another trip to Alaska?! (Yes, I know I haven't even taken our first trip, but I'm just in a holding pattern now since everything has been booked. Just getting excited for our trip!)

For tours I want to do, I do them and don't wait. There is no guarantee you will "return". Although there aren't usually kids rates, young children probably do go on these tours.

My son was 7 for his first Alaska trip which worked out very well.

For tours I want to do, I do them and don't wait. There is no guarantee you will "return". Although there aren't usually kids rates, young children probably do go on these tours.

My son was 7 for his first Alaska trip which worked out very well.

Which bear viewing excursion did your son do at age 7? How close did your son get?

I'm was not interested in the bear excursions for this trip, but after seeing pictures, I'd like to return some day to do one. It may be some time, but it's a chance I'll just have to take.

You might want to review the bear viewing excursion options that the cruise ships offer and see what the age restrictions are as that will give you a sense of what the typical vendors might be. We looked at an excursion when my daughter was 9 and the age limit was 10 and they were quite serious about it. We asked if they would make an exception for my daughter and the answer was an emphatic no. We did go on a private tour that accepted her at that age. Honestly, she was bored. A lot of looking and waiting for very minimal viewing opportunity. She is a teen now and we have done a couple of bear viewing excursion since and she was much more interested at a slightly older age, definitely more patient and more open to the watching and waiting involved.

Select the towns of Homer and Soldotna in this link to find companies who offer bear viewing trips. Look at the company web sites for a minimum age requirement.

http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

(send for a free visitor guide for the Kenai Peninsula )

For SE Alaska, google Anan bear viewing or Pack Creek, or go to the town web sites of Wrangell or Ketchikan to find vendors.

Which bear viewing excursion did your son do at age 7? How close did your son get?

I'm was not interested in the bear excursions for this trip, but after seeing pictures, I'd like to return some day to do one. It may be some time, but it's a chance I'll just have to take.

Neets Bay, which had a lot closer viewing than it does now. We were right on the river edge and could walk up and down as the bears moved. We went 3 times to that location over the years. Now, you just go back and forth to a platform. He also has been to Anan twice.

In his particular case, he has NEVER been bored in at least 10 Alaska trips. Sadly he cut me off, with travels a few years ago. Now, my nephews, 10 years younger are my companions. :) I chartered a Traitor's Cove visit with them last year.

My choices of location are based on PEAK time only. I never consider any shoulder and certainly never off peak timeframes for any of these tours.

Select the towns of Homer and Soldotna in this link to find companies who offer bear viewing trips. Look at the company web sites for a minimum age requirement.

http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

(send for a free visitor guide for the Kenai Peninsula )

For SE Alaska, google Anan bear viewing or Pack Creek, or go to the town web sites of Wrangell or Ketchikan to find vendors.

Hoonah has very good brown bear sighting by road. I only recommend going independent, as the ship tours, only go back and forth to fixed "platforms", which significantly, is less successful than a tour on the move. (necessary)

Archived