love boat

there were twin ships that sailed out of NYC in the early 1970's - they were small but lovely inside..the cabins were small but the service, food & entertainment were top notch....I think they only had 600-700 passengers. Even today she looks modern - I believe on of the twins was scrapped.

I always found it amusing that the staterooms shown on the tv show were always so large, I just knew they couldn't be that big.

When Princess bought the ships in the early 1980's we took a New Years carib cruise on Island Princess..it was 10 or 12 days & I had one of the best days at sea &New Years eve's of my life.....it was a long evening but the hilight was going to the aft lounge after midnite & seeing Captain John King( a British Captain) sing Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones with the band. The place went wild & the sun was coming up when we dragged ourselves back to our cabins...it took days for our legs to function again after dancing so much & repeated doses of cocktails kept us going - no one cared what the ports were...it was spectacular...Oh Captain, My Captain!!!!

Sounds awesome. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was a show this week on BIO about the love boat. Very interesting to watch the in's and outs of the show. I loved watching it when it came on back in the day. Always thought how it would be such an adventure to go on one.

It left me with some questions....

Did that ship really do regular cruises like today? Where is the ship now. It didnt say what happened to the ship after the show cancelled and was wondering.

It did do regular cruises and although much of it was filmed in a studio they did film on cruises. Passengers had to sign a waiver to allow their images to be used.

I always found it amusing that the staterooms shown on the tv show were always so large, I just knew they couldn't be that big)

For people who saw the show before cruising the stateroom size was always a let down. Comedians used to work it into their routines.

Were fantastic ships - I did an eleven nite New Years cruise on Island Princess....the food & service were still great.....the 2 ships were built for another cruise line & then Princess bought the ships.

Its too bad they don't make ships like them anymore....the quality went out of cruising when the cruise lines started building these mega ships.....

I too loved those older smaller ships. They had character.

I have friends who had only seen the show and had never been cruising. Their first cruise was on Princess and they were expecting Captain Stubing. When the Italian captain said, "This is your captain..." she thought the ship had been hijacked.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived