love boat

I was a show this week on BIO about the love boat. Very interesting to watch the in's and outs of the show. I loved watching it when it came on back in the day. Always thought how it would be such an adventure to go on one.

It left me with some questions....

Did that ship really do regular cruises like today? Where is the ship now. It didnt say what happened to the ship after the show cancelled and was wondering.

I think it was called the Pacific Princess and sailed out of San Pedro (LA). It was a real ship and I don't know how they did all the filming onboard. Princess sold the ship about 10 years ago, but it was a real ship!

We sail Princess sometimes and always enjoy the Love Boat episodes they play on TV.

My first cruise was on the Pacific Princess back in Nov 1980 to Mexico leaving from San Pedro to Acapulco, Mexico. After watching the TV show, was wondering if it indeed did real cruises. Went to the travel agent and enquired about it and yes it was real. That is what started my love of cruising. Of course the ship had the Love Boat staircase, was smaller than today`s ships, but did not have Isaac the bartender, Dr. Bricker as the doctor or Gopher as the purser or Julie as cruise director.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/10/sos-love-boat-sails-off-to-the-junkyard/

I thought I read somewhere that Pulmantur was owned by RCI. Don't know if it's true or not, but they seem to end up with all of RCI's old ships...

You are correct about Pullmantur it is owned by RCI. The old Pacific Princess did pass through being owned by Pullmantur I believe it's last owner was Quail Cruises and the ship was laid up in Genoa, Italy as was referrenced in your link.

Many of Royal Caribbean's older ships do get passed on to Pullmantur. This has most recently happened to the old Monarch of the Seas. There are a few other old Royal Caribbean ships that are currently with Pullmantur.

I was lucky enough to get on the set for several hours and watch the filming. There were several sets we saw pool (yes full size and depth, dining room and bar. We spent three hours watching about three minutes on screen. Ate at craft table with Gopher Doc and Julie. It was great fun. Funny to see the hot looking extras dancing in the lounge that weren't all that great looking up close.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/10/sos-love-boat-sails-off-to-the-junkyard/

I thought I read somewhere that Pulmantur was owned by RCI. Don't know if it's true or not, but they seem to end up with all of RCI's old ships...

Royal Owns

*Celebrity X Cruises, U.S.A. {Originally Greece}

Pullmantur Cruises, Spain

+Azamara Club Cruises, U.S.A.

CDF Croisieres de France

TUI Cruises (50% Ownership), Germany

When we were on Navigator three summers ago we saw her in Genoa. It's weird to think that someday Freedom and Oasis will be put out to scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I know, it blows my mind.

I have pictures of the Pacific Princess we took when we were in Bermuda on the Song of America. It's amazing how small that ship was compared to today's ships. It brings back memories of watching the show in the 70 and 80's and finally taking our first cruise in 1986. We've been cruising ever since.

I have the Love Boat theme song on my iPhone and always play it during sail away. Of course we're on our balcony so we're not disturbing anyone else with this 30 something year old song.

Don

When we were on Navigator three summers ago we saw her in Genoa. It's weird to think that someday Freedom and Oasis will be put out to scrap.

I will buy the flow riders, if they are still working.:D

I have been watching episodes on Netflix lately. While poking online around for more info, I found this photo tour of the Pacific Princess, then and now, with lots of good photos.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Pacific/G1773,A12714

oops, just noticed someone else posted this in another thread....anyway, same thing

• 4 weeks later...

My wife & I were on the final voyage of the Pacific Princess (The Love Boat) in late October 2002. It was a 17 day cruise from New York City to Rome. We had a wonderful time.

The cruise started with an on board cocktail party in the NY harbor which was attended by Gavin McLeod and some of the other cast members of the TV show. The party was filmed and shown the next morning on Good Morning America or the Today show, I don't remember which. The entire cruise was also filmed for the Travel Channel and was show in early 2003.

There were only about 600-700 passengers and the crew got to know everyone.

We had port calls in Bermuda, The Azore Islands, Portugal, Spain, France, Gibraltar and Rome.

During the last few days of the cruise the artwork and other things were being taken off the walls and auctioned off.

It was one of the most memorable cruises that we have taken.

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was aboard the Pacific Princess in Alaska in 1991. I was one of those influenced into cruising by that tv show. The show did also at times use other Princess ships, and IIRC, the latter day version of the show even switched to a Cunard ship, perhaps for just a few shows...

I will say that although small, the Pacific Princess did have just about every feature that the megaships of today have aside from the latest gimmicks.....

Were fantastic ships - I did an eleven nite New Years cruise on Island Princess....the food & service were still great.....the 2 ships were built for another cruise line & then Princess bought the ships.

Its too bad they don't make ships like them anymore....the quality went out of cruising when the cruise lines started building these mega ships.....

Not quite yet. Although the PACIFIC was sold for scrap a couple of times over the past few years, bureaucratic red tape has prevented the ship from actually being transferred to the ship breakers and it was still docked in Genoa as of last month. See San Of Aliaga | MaritimeMatters | Cruise ship news and ocean liner history

• 2 weeks later...

there were twin ships that sailed out of NYC in the early 1970's - they were small but lovely inside..the cabins were small but the service, food & entertainment were top notch....I think they only had 600-700 passengers. Even today she looks modern - I believe on of the twins was scrapped.

When Princess bought the ships in the early 1980's we took a New Years carib cruise on Island Princess..it was 10 or 12 days & I had one of the best days at sea &New Years eve's of my life.....it was a long evening but the hilight was going to the aft lounge after midnite & seeing Captain John King( a British Captain) sing Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones with the band. The place went wild & the sun was coming up when we dragged ourselves back to our cabins...it took days for our legs to function again after dancing so much & repeated doses of cocktails kept us going - no one cared what the ports were...it was spectacular...Oh Captain, My Captain!!!!

When Queen Mary 2 docked in Darwin in Febuary 2012, this ship was also in the harbour and I was told it was the 'Love Boat'.

i-PvJTLXF-XL.jpg

i-4t9pj3J-XL.jpg

Archived