Carnival imagination-carnival victory "back-to-back" review (pics) 4-12-2013

valancy1

This picture is GORGEOUS!

Thanks for the review! I think I have read all of your reviews, you guys seem to have a good time!

Edited to add: I guess my quoting abilities didn't work too well with the picture. It was the one of the peacock. Beautiful!

Awww, thanks so much! I am going to have so much fun scrapbooking Ardastra Gardens :)

This was our best cruise yet. Each one is fun and we had a great time on all of them, but we just loved this cruise (or "these cruises") :)

How did you like the victory? And were there private sellers of shore excursions on the dock at half moon clay, Nassau and Grand Turk? I'd rather purchase off the ship rather than on to try and save a little. Thanks :)

How did you like the victory? And were there private sellers of shore excursions on the dock at half moon clay, Nassau and Grand Turk? I'd rather purchase off the ship rather than on to try and save a little. Thanks :)

Nychris,

We loved the Victory! It is gorgeous and everything was wonderful. I have wanted to sail on Victory for years and finally got the chance, so we were happy about that.

As far as your excursions, Half Moon Cay is owned by Carnival so everything they offer on the ship is pretty much it as far as excursions go. I know there is horseback riding and parasailing, but to me, a cabana, floating mats and snorkel equipment is a little slice of heaven.

They do have those surfboards with sails on them if I remember correctly and several other things you can rent when you get there (including clamshells to guard you from the sun). But act early. Lots of things sell out quickly.

We were near cabana #7 and that was relatively close to where you can rent the special stuff.

OR you can just get yourself a chair or park in a hammock and enjoy. It just depends on what you want to do.

Grand Turk: The only thing you will find outside the port gates is Nathan's Golf Carts. You can reserve with him ahead of time if you want or just walk up and get one. It is $85 for the day and you either pay $20 to fill it or bring it back full (it is less expensive to do this than pay him). You can travel all over the island, go see the many free beaches and the lighthouse. There is a "downtown" with some shopping as well, but there is not a lot of anything but beaches. For us, Jack's Shack was the place to be. You can get a chair and an umbrella, rent snorkel gear, eat some mean jerk chicken (or conch) and just relax. OR you can stay right on the beach at the cruise port which is lovely... Margaritaville, the Flow Rider, and a pool are all at your disposal there.

Nassau is the one place that has stuff you can get off the ship. They will take you to Atlantis, you can hire a taxi driver to take you around, you can do horse & buggy ride, OR you can walk around easily... we walked to the Queen's Staircase and saw Fort Fincastle this last time. The time before that, we took the #10 to Ardastra Gardens and enjoyed that. I'm sure there are other options... they will be waiting for you there. LOL

I enjoyed your review! I hope I don't have all those platinum issues:( My upcoming cruise will be my tenth and I will be highly irritated going through all that you guys went though! Glad you had a good time though!

One last quick question. In the ports of hmc and grand turk, is the beach right there for use? Or do you have to buy an excursions or get a taxi, ECT, to get the beaches. Thanks

HMC *IS* the beach! You will tender over, walk through a plaza-like thing, and then you are on the beach... find a spot, plunk your stuff and enjoy.

Grand Turk, you can turn left off the pier and be on the beach. If you read my review, you should see adequate pictures showing what it looks like to visualize it better.

HTH,

I enjoyed your review! I hope I don't have all those platinum issues:( My upcoming cruise will be my tenth and I will be highly irritated going through all that you guys went though! Glad you had a good time though!

I don't think it will be. I think our issue is that the computer didn't have the information and no extra notice to give to the ship. You can also tell on your luggage tags... if it says PRIORITY then you're already set to go. :)

• 2 months later...
DSC_2011_zps6893c7d0.jpg

DSC_2010_zps7e774eb1.jpg

Lunch from the Wok area of the ship:

P4130373_zps2554dc9c.jpg

This is the one time we were lucky enough to score a couple of seats in the Serenity area. We spent the entire afternoon in the hot tub and in the quiet bliss of Serenity...

P4120302_zpsf3adcd4d.jpg

P4120301_zps53c5ee6b.jpg

Your picture of the flamingos and then your poultry stir fry picture made me laugh. I always wondered if they tasted like chicken.

• 5 months later...

Great reviews. I will be on the Carnival Imagination in a few weeks and I also eat a gluten free diet. In your husband's experience, how was the food selection? Were you able to eat breakfast lunch and dinner on the ship gluten free? Any tips or suggestions?

Great reviews. I will be on the Carnival Imagination in a few weeks and I also eat a gluten free diet. In your husband's experience, how was the food selection? Were you able to eat breakfast lunch and dinner on the ship gluten free? Any tips or suggestions?

The food selection was great. We could have eaten in the dining room on sea days for Breakfast & Lunch, but Barry was just as happy on the Lido deck. He chose eggs, bacon, fruit, etc... things that are naturally gluten free. But the hostess would ask him if he wanted pancakes or waffles, so they must have gluten free versions of them. Dinner and lunch were also easy. The one thing is that gluten free takes some planning so make sure you go when the dining room opens on embarkation day to tell the Maitre d' that you are gluten free; at this point, he will refer you to the hostess and she will begin taking your orders for the dining room. She will give you a special GF menu from which you can pick. Barry has never gone away wanting for anything--they even have GF pasta and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

Pizza only takes an extra 15 minutes, so that is possible too. If you ever cruise on a ship that has a Guy's Burger Joint, you can order a hamburger with a GF bun the day before and they will have it for you the next day.

There is plenty to choose from, and he's done very well (no adverse effects) on at least 6 cruises.

I hope this helps! The one thing he is disappointed with is there are no GF cookies, which are his favorite dessert. Next cruise, I will bake some and bring them with me.

Perfect great info. I have already emailed special needs and they are supposed to have it marked down and inform the right people. But at any rate, as soon as I board I will go to the MDR and make sure.

Did you guys pre order what you wanted on that first night dinner once you got on the ship?

Yes, exactly... we went to the MDR and told the person there he has a gluten intolerance, and up comes the hostess with her binder of menus and shows him the menu for the evening, she takes his complete order and then visits the table every night for the next day's orders! :)