Average Gratuities for a an 11 Day Cruise--Is this a good deal?

Tommy3putts

Hi all

Need some help please. I've booked an 11 day Med cruise on Reflection in June 2014. I booked directly with Celebrity but would like to transfer to a TA. I'm am weighing an offer from a TA for:

Port charges and taxes

prepaid gratuities and

$50 "shipboard credit per stateroom."

I'm hopeful that the 123 package will be offered at some point prior to final payment in March 2014.

I haven't cruised since 1997 on RCCL. Back then it was gratuities at the end of the cruise in envelopes and I quite frankly can't remember what we paid for the 7 day cruise.

So, just ball park, what would be a rough amount for gratuities for the 11 day cruise? Is this a decent deal from the TA or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks

Tom

Greetings

From the Celebrity web site:

How are gratuities handled onboard?For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: For cruises booked on or after April 29, 2013

• • $12 per person per day in staterooms
  • • $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
  • • $15.50 per person per day in suites

For cruises booked prior to April 29, 2013

• • $11.50 per person per day in staterooms
  • • $12.00 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
  • • $15.00 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

If you have prepaid your gratuities prior to April 28, 2013, for a sailing that departs on or after April 29, 2013, you will not be charged the higher gratuity rate once onboard.

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Good Sailing

Tom

I'm surprised they are willing to cover the fees and taxes, I thought that was not generally allowed. How much is that on your cruise? It can run from about five to fifteen percent of the cruise price.

Free gratuities is fairly standard, however, if you choose select dining, you will normally pay these yourself at final payment and receive an additional onboard credit from the TA. The good news is, OBC from a TA is refundable if you don't use it on the ship. Finally, verify that all these benefits are coming directly from the TA and not from Celebrity as this will effect the true benefit to you.

Thank you

I think you're correct, the fees and taxes are likely not included. The TA was quoting those back in the email as part of the overall price from X. So that's my mistake.

Appreciate the advice. I'm supposed to chat with the TA today or tomorrow. I don't think the offer is great, but if the TA will assist in getting any future price drops and getting any future 123 offering then it's more attractive.

Thank you

I think you're correct, the fees and taxes are likely not included. The TA was quoting those back in the email as part of the overall price from X. So that's my mistake.

Appreciate the advice. I'm supposed to chat with the TA today or tomorrow. I don't think the offer is great, but if the TA will assist in getting any future price drops and getting any future 123 offering then it's more attractive.

My experience with TA's (and I love mine) is that they are often too busy to keep an eye on the price of your cruise in order to catch any price drops. It would be nice if they did. To that end I make it a habit of checking the price of my cruise every week or so once booked (with X direct or with a TA). I make sure to check for resident rates as well as other categories that have had a price change, not just mine.

As far as the 123 offer, based on the rules from this past offer, it only applies to new bookings. In order to take advantage of the offer (if they make it available in the future) you would be to cancel your booking and rebook under the program at whatever the going cabin rate is.

Archived