Jason Collins & cruises.....

Rotterdam

Some say we are just the same....no different than heterosexuals. We want to be considered equal, treated the same.....just like everyone else.

Others say we are not the same....so get over it. In your face with my gayness so to speak.

This seems to me to be a mixed signal with or without the stereo type being pushed.

So are we no different or are we different and need that difference fully accepted.

I guess it depends on what is understood by "we are like everyone else". Technically, nobody is like everybody else, there is always something to be different about (I like warm weather, someone else likes cold weather...).

Other than who we are attracted to I would say that in general "we" are not all that different. Yet we are not the same, because we are attracted to the same gender whereas they are attracted to the opposite gender. And then there are those that are attracted to either/both.

The "sameness" applies more to being treated the same, I think.

As for the "life style" comment, I usually dismiss that with a quick "I have a life, not a lifestyle". :D

"We have lots of different opinions on everything, it seems to me"

Exactly...with a little mutual respect & do unto others.....on land & sea all would be a better world....

To be able to agree to disagree & then have a cocktail in our favorite lounge at sea...bliss, peace and peace on earth.....

Very interesting thread - thanks, Rotterdam, you got people going on more topics than you had in mind, I'm sure.

I'm struck by the variety of opinions here - makes me ask a question I've asked for a long time:

As gay folk, what do we really have in common?

Or to put it in the mirror, what do straight folk really have in common?

Across the entire population, I'm talking about...lots of groups in all communities feel the sting of oppression or stigmatization.

We have lots of different opinions on everything, it seems to me.

Yeah, I'm off topic here. Thanks for reading, and happy sailing to all!

Archived