Genoa to Portofino - Private Tour or Taxi?? Help

Happycruiser18

Hello, We will be stopping in Genoa for the day (Sunday) and we are trying to decide if we should book a private driver to take us to Portofino with some stops along the way or just try and grab a taxi when we get off the ship? Anyone know how much a taxi would cost? Also, if it's easy to get one to take us to Portofino? I wouldn't hesitate with hiring a private tour but it's expensive for 2 people and our Cruise Roll Call is very sad :( Any suggestions on a reasonable private company out of Genoa? Thanks, any help would be appreciated :D

I don't know about the cost of a taxi or how easy it is to find one at the port, but we went to both Portofino and Santa Margherita by train and bus. It is about a 10-minute walk from the port to the train station (Genova Piazza Principe or Genova PP). You get off at the S. Margherita Ligure-Portofino stop and then you can either take the ferry or the bus to Portofino, which is about 10-15 minutes away. We took the bus because it ran more often and you can get it right from the train station. It's #82 and Portofino is the last stop. You can buy return bus tickets at the store right across from the stop. The train tickets (May 2012) were 6.60 euros roundtrip and the bus tickets were 1.5 euros each way.

We were in Genoa on a Sunday and there were a lot of options for times. I believe we were on the 7:52am train and it took about 35 minutes. We then caught the bus around 9am. We didn't find it that difficult, but you do have to pay attention and you do have to feel comfortable with navigating on your own. I don't think you need to pay for a private tour, as these places are fairly small and easy to do on your own. But, if a taxi is in your price range, then it's certainly an easier option where you won't have to consider train and bus schedules. I guess it really depends on what kind of traveler you are.

Our day in Genoa and Portofino: http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/11/genoa-and-portofino-italy.html

If you can take the train and bus, that would be a great price reduction.

Have a great trip!

Thank you ROCruiser for posting your link - I think that is what we will probably do -> grab a taxi and head to Portofino. Did Roberto just wait for you in Portofino or did you just arrange for him to come back and pick you up later?:confused:

Thank you ROCruiser for posting your link - I think that is what we will probably do -> grab a taxi and head to Portofino. Did Roberto just wait for you in Portofino or did you just arrange for him to come back and pick you up later?:confused:

I forgot to mention that for 35 euro pp, it was for the trip to Portofino and the stops in Genoa. After we came back from Portofino, he took us to all the sites in Genoa and waited for us. He knew his way around and as you can see he drove through some really narrow alleys to get to the front of the Cathedral. He also talked to the bakery nearby so we could use their restroom. We ended up buying sandwiches from them as a return for being so nice. At the end of the tour he took us back to the port. We could have walked to town if not going to Portofino but our friend has knee problem and walking the distance was out of the question.

I forgot to mention that for 35 euro pp, it was for the trip to Portofino and the stops in Genoa. After we came back from Portofino, he took us to all the sites in Genoa and waited for us. He knew his way around and as you can see he drove through some really narrow alleys to get to the front of the Cathedral. He also talked to the bakery nearby so we could use their restroom. We ended up buying sandwiches from them as a return for being so nice. At the end of the tour he took us back to the port. We could have walked to town if not going to Portofino but our friend has knee problem and walking the distance was out of the question.

We just contacted him and you got a great deal. Price now is $50 euro pp. we still think its worth it and will do Santa margarita too for a total of $200 euro for the three of us I will post a full review in August

We just contacted him and you got a great deal. Price now is $50 euro pp. we still think its worth it and will do Santa margarita too for a total of $200 euro for the three of us I will post a full review in August

Wow! I think he wasn't into this 'tour' business when we met him. He was suppose to just take us to town but then talked us into going to Portofino. We had such a good time that when he took us back to port, I asked for his email address and contact info, and he wrote it down on a piece of paper for me. I guess he is busy with private tours now. Have a great day in Genoa and Portofino!

Thanks so much, he's pretty much just going to drive us to Portofino and then wait around a couple of hours and drive us back - but that is exactly what we wanted and it saves us having to try and find someone on the day. Coming with a recommendation always helps and he replied very quickly which was nice. I'm really looking forward to Portofino - I've been wanting to get there for awhile but just couldn't make it on our previous trips to Italy. :cool:

thanks Crazygirl for your info on DIY trip to portofino. Going in 2 weeks and have taken down your info re trains and buses. When you say you did both Portofino and Santa Margherita, did you just make two seperate stops on the buses. Are the buses and trains regular enough time wise, for making sure we get back to Port in Genoa for getting back on ship.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi ROCruiser, We are back from our day in Genoa/Portofino with Roberto and we had an Amazing Day!! Thanks again for your recommendation. Roberto was really great - we spent a couple of hours in Portofino and then decided to go to St. Margherita to walk around and have lunch. He was totally flexible on whatever we wanted to do. He recommended a restaurant which was fabulous and then on the way back took us to see the sights of Genoa. One of our best days by far :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ROCruiser' date=' We are back from our day in Genoa/Portofino with Roberto and we had an Amazing Day!! Thanks again for your recommendation. Roberto was really great - we spent a couple of hours in Portofino and then decided to go to St. Margherita to walk around and have lunch. He was totally flexible on whatever we wanted to do. He recommended a restaurant which was fabulous and then on the way back took us to see the sights of Genoa. One of our best days by far :D[/quote']

So glad that you had a fun day. Sorry I did not see your post sooner. I kept thinking to myself I hope I did the right thing in recommending Roberto. What a relief! What a smart idea, stopping for lunch in St. Margherita. It looked beautiful when we drove by, but unfortunately we did not stop there. Do you have pictures to share?

• 2 weeks later...