“Live" from the Baltic...9 Days.. 7-16 May..2013

Day 9

Sea Day

Last day today onboard the Star and what a great itinerary this cruise provides,it has been very port intensive......the two day Saint Petersburg tour was the highlight of this trip,we have been so lucky with the weather.

Only a couple of days with rain and mostly sunny days on the rest.....the Star is heading back to Copenhagen.

Overview of cruise

We have received great service from our butler Romel,there is nothing he won’t do for you....we are very low maintained,so haven’t used his services as much as some.

Some people treat there butlers like personal slaves,to be at there beck and call 24/7....but we treat them like family and have had great experience with past butlers.....Arnie the butler is giving great service too my Aussie mates on deck 10 Penthouse and he is treated like a friend.

This is why we keep coming back too the Star......David the concierge seems like a great guy,asked us on the first day too contact him anytime,we have been very busy with our US and Canadian friends and have missed the shows....but I have heard good reviews.

Ncl brings on local performers at some of these ports,in Warnemunde,local german dancers were onboard and Russian performers as well.

Ncl suites

For us the suites on Ncl are great value,we only cruise once a year and the extra benefits you receive is worth every cent......The vip exit of the ship in every port is great.

We work with a great Ncl Personal cruise consultant in Arizona,she has always provided first class service to me and my Aussie mates....On this cruise,we had a SJ family suite booked and two weeks before departure I noticed the price had dropped on the SC 2 bedroom suite,I emailed my PCC and 5 mins later I got a paid upgrade for $100 p/p.

What a great deal that was....the SC cabins are very classy.

The Disembarkation information has arrive today.

Early walk off starts 7.45 –8.30

Transfer to Airport 8.15...flights before 12.30

Hotel package guests 9.45

All others off the ship 9.30

We are in no hurry to get off the ship,we are staying in Copenhagen for two nights and then joining the Vision of the seas for a 7 day Norweigen fjords cruise ,starting on Saturday 18 and the best part is our great friends from US and Canada are joining us again.

So the bus from the cruise terminal in Stockholm goes to a stop very close to the Vasa? When I was trying to use the Journey Planning website, it said something about having to change to the metro. Also, did you already have SEK, or were you able to purchase the bus tickets via credit card?

Also, in Helsinki, where did you buy the all day transportation pass?

Thank you! Very much enjoying your review! We leave next Saturday!

The bus 76 stops across the road from the Vasa...you cross the bridge and walk 500 m....I was the first person into the museum and beat the long queue.

Buy tickets for bus inside the cruise terminal with credit card...we purchased the return ticket while there.

20 Sek for over 65 one way and 36 sek for adults....we purchased the hop on boats at home before we left home.....the boat leaves right beside the Vasa...we went with Stromma boat.

Took the boat too the at the last stop,city centre and walked about 1 km too the bus 1 which goes to the cruise terminal......very easy,just print off bus map from home,before you get here.

Helsinki we purchased the City pass all day bus,metro pass from the driver in Euro...cash only 8 euro.

We did all day tour for 8 euro,includes fortress entry and ferry.

Thank you Duncan, changed from a mini suite 11522 to a family suite 12526.

Great move...enjoy the suite life,those cabins are great.

Make use of the Vip exit....meet 15 mins before arrival in La Cucina restaurant and you are first off the ship :)

Day 9

Duncan, Thank you once again for all your reporting, It has helped me know I have made the right decision on taking this journey. Enjoy your Vision cruise and I will look to see if your doing a Live Report there as well.

Duncan, Thank you once again for all your reporting, It has helped me know I have made the right decision on taking this journey. Enjoy your Vision cruise and I will look to see if your doing a Live Report there as well.

Thanks for joining the ride.:)

So the bus from the cruise terminal in Stockholm goes to a stop very close to the Vasa? When I was trying to use the Journey Planning website, it said something about having to change to the metro. Also, did you already have SEK, or were you able to purchase the bus tickets via credit card?

Also, in Helsinki, where did you buy the all day transportation pass?

Thank you! Very much enjoying your review! We leave next Saturday!

More about info on bus 76.

Thanks to Cruise Critic Europe boards.

If you plan to go from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum in the morning bus 76 runs every 8 minutes according to the present timetable. There will be a new timetable for the summer months. The ride from Frihamnen to Djurgårdsbron should take 8 minutes, but then of course there is a short walk too. To get from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan should take around 20 minutes.

I don’t know if the Norwegian Star will have a shuttle, but when a cruise line does have a shuttle it usually drops people off near the Royal Opera Building. This is nowhere close to the Vasa Museum.

The Ho/Ho Bus is really a sightseeing bus and will take you around more slowly and maybe not directly from the port to the Vasa. Right now it runs at intervals from 30 to 60 minutes but I am sure it will be more frequent in June. But it will not be quicker.

Here is a map where you can see where bus 76 goes as well as the port and the main sights:

https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=...bb56f079&msa=0

More about info on bus 76.

Thanks to Cruise Critic Europe boards.

If you plan to go from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum in the morning bus 76 runs every 8 minutes according to the present timetable. There will be a new timetable for the summer months. The ride from Frihamnen to Djurgårdsbron should take 8 minutes, but then of course there is a short walk too. To get from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan should take around 20 minutes.

I don’t know if the Norwegian Star will have a shuttle, but when a cruise line does have a shuttle it usually drops people off near the Royal Opera Building. This is nowhere close to the Vasa Museum.

The Ho/Ho Bus is really a sightseeing bus and will take you around more slowly and maybe not directly from the port to the Vasa. Right now it runs at intervals from 30 to 60 minutes but I am sure it will be more frequent in June. But it will not be quicker.

Here is a map where you can see where bus 76 goes as well as the port and the main sights:

https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=...bb56f079&msa=0

Thank you for this info. I was trying out the site again and it looks like since we are there on a Saturday, there is not a direct bus to either Djurgardsbron or the Vasa stop. It also seems that the journey is about 46 minutes, but the shorter journey of 21 minutes doesn't get us there until 9:15 or so. They don't make this easy.

Day 10

Copenhagen

The Star is about to arrive in Copenhagen today and Ncl has provided us all with a great cruise again...the suites are a great way to travel and good value...we like the freestyle way.

We will be staying at the Marriott Copenhagen for two nights and on Saturday 18 th,we join the Rccl Vision of the seas Norwegian fjords cruise for seven days.

We are in no hurry to exit the ship today and will leave around 9.00 am.

Thanks for following along on this first Baltic cruise of the season.

Duncan

Great review! we've got 2 weeks till we're there... can't wait!

Question, i'm figuring out currency, going to the bank tonight... do we bother with Krona for Sweden? We're doing SPB tours for all 5 ports...

Rubbles YES, but Krona?

What's your opinion?

Question, i'm figuring out currency, going to the bank tonight... do we bother with Krona for Sweden? We're doing SPB tours for all 5 ports...

Rubbles YES, but Krona?

What's your opinion?

We did. Also used SPb in all of our ports except for Stockholm as it wasn't offered in 2011. Used them in Helsinki, Tallinn, Berlin and St. Petersburg. Great experience.

Rubbles YES, but Krona?

What's your opinion?

We took all currencies....and used them ....

We purchased the 24 hr card and activated at 2 pm on the first day.

We took the hop on boat by canal tours for 1 hour and then public bus back to Marriott.

Some of us have got the flu,so a quiet first day was in order.

Day 2

We took public bus to the downtown area to meet up with our friends.

Took the public bus to Rosenburg Castle to see the crown jewels...free entry..go to ticket box and they will give you free ticket.

Afterwards we took the other hop on boat company Nette for another free bost ride up the canals.

Some of our group did tivoli on first day...free entry....normal price $25 p/p.

The things to do are endless with this card.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

We purchased the 24 hr card and activated at 2 pm on the first day.

We took the hop on boat by canal tours for 1 hour and then public bus back to Marriott.

Some of us have got the flu,so a quiet first day was in order.

Day 2

We took public bus to the downtown area to meet up with our friends.

Took the public bus to Rosenburg Castle to see the crown jewels...free entry..go to ticket box and they will give you free ticket.

Afterwards we took the other hop on boat company Nette for another free bost ride up the canals.

Some of our group did tivoli on first day...free entry....normal price $25 p/p.

The things to do are endless with this card.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds awesome

Suzanne

Aussie:

Can you give a brief description of the things you used your Copenhagen card for and, if we had just one day, which you recommend we see or skip?

thanks

Deb

We were with the Aussies yesterday and today but did a few " extra" things since we were feeling good....public transportation everywhere, entry to the Rosenberg place to see the crown collections and jewels ; two canal boat rides, and the tivoli twice...one during the day and once at night to see the lights...since we were at the tivoli in the afternoon then return same evening we

Got a stamp on our hands to aloe us to Re entry a couple of hours later....Copenhagen card is definitely worth every penny....

We will need a "vacation" after this vacation just to rest!!!!!

Thanks. We are arriving on a Friday and boarding on Sunday, so we have a bit of time in Copenhagen. I can't sleep on planes, so I am leaning towards heading right to the hotel (Crowne Plaza, free transport from the airport) and relaxing a bit. I am leaning towards a 24 hour card and starting it Sat AM.

Where is the port? Can we get there with luggage on public transportation? We are thinking of taking a taxi instead.

Thanks. We are arriving on a Friday and boarding on Sunday, so we have a bit of time in Copenhagen. I can't sleep on planes, so I am leaning towards heading right to the hotel (Crowne Plaza, free transport from the airport) and relaxing a bit. I am leaning towards a 24 hour card and starting it Sat AM.

Where is the port? Can we get there with luggage on public transportation? We are thinking of taking a taxi instead.

You can take train to the port but then you have a long walk to the actual pier....very close but NOT on a straight line...suggest you take a taxi to the pier or take the train to the port then take a taxi to the pier...we walked and were very, very tired by the time we reached the pier.

The temperature in Copenhagen has been quite warm and very sunny