Cruisin' Like a Hawaiian - Pride of America 05.04.2013 Review

puddles99

Chapter 8: Ziplines, Luaus, & Helicopters (continued)

After an amazing morning, we returned to the ship for lunch, a shower, and some down time - including about an hour of wandering the shops near the harbor - before meeting our Roberts Hawaii bus for the Smith Family Luau.

Puddles99, I just searched in vane for the Roberts Tour site for a bus to the Smith Family Luau. Where did you find that?

Puddles99, I just searched in vane for the Roberts Tour site for a bus to the Smith Family Luau. Where did you find that?

It's this one: http://www.gorabbitgo.com/kauai/luau.php I would recommend emailing or calling to check they're using Smith Family for your dates to be sure. The cost includes transportation, dinner, & show (and the unlimited drinks!).

Edited by puddles99

Thanks for this great review. It is really helping with our planning for our POA cruise.

I'm so glad its helpful! I've gotten so much value from the reviews of others so I am glad I've been able to pay it forward.

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. (This was a lot of work)

I really enjoyed reading this and seeing all the wonderful pictures. :)

Oh thank you! It was time consuming, but a lot of fun. And now I have a head start on the story for my scrapbook, too! :D

It's this one: http://www.gorabbitgo.com/kauai/luau.php I would recommend emailing or calling to check they're using Smith Family for your dates to be sure. The cost includes transportation, dinner, & show (and the unlimited drinks!).

thanks I never saw the drop down for the cruise ship until you sent me this link!! Aloha!

Good to see you and your hubby were fond of the 'amber nectar'. How much was it for a beer onboard the POA?

I finally pulled the receipts - sorry for the delay! A 22oz Stella draft was $5.50 from the Gold Rush Saloon. Not a bad deal at all!

I finally pulled the receipts - sorry for the delay! A 22oz Stella draft was $5.50 from the Gold Rush Saloon. Not a bad deal at all!

Good value indeed!! I think our tipple will involve buckets o' Bud!!! And the best part of it is that my DW traditionally foots the bill for all onboard consumption so the bigger the bill the better lol!!!!

Which of the various Zip Line Trips in Kauai did you experience? I see three on the NCL Shore Excursions page. Which town does the POA tender in on the Island of Kauai?

Thanks!

We did the "Kauai Canopy Zip Line Adventure" - booked through NCL since that included transportation. I think there were only two offered for our sailing date (the one we did and a "Tree-tops" excursion that included rope bridges).

The ship docks in Nawiliwili, Kauai and its an easy walk to shops, restaurants, or a beach.

Does that help? Keep the questions coming! :)

The ship docks in Nawiliwili, Kauai and its an easy walk to shops, restaurants, or a beach.

Thats interesting as I was under the impression that Kona was the only port that had shops etc within relatively easy walking distance. What about the other port stops in Maui and Hilo Puddles99? Big thanks for the great review and additional information!

Thats interesting as I was under the impression that Kona was the only port that had shops etc within relatively easy walking distance. What about the other port stops in Maui and Hilo Puddles99? Big thanks for the great review and additional information!

Because you tender into what seems like the "heart" of Kona, there is much to do there - definitely more within walking distance than any other port. In Kauai, you can walk to a little shopping area with a few restaurants, bars, etc and I think it's the Marriott resort / beach that's right there & easily accessible. I even heard that the snorkeling was pretty good at that beach (but of course I can't vouch for that).

To me, neither Maui or Hilo seemed walkable. You would need a shuttle or taxi to get to any activities or sights in those ports (or to go pick up a rental car).

Puddles99,

Thank you for the great review. Me and my wife sailed on POA in April 2007. We are booked for Thanksgiving 2014 and we are taking our two daughters who we let them pick this trip from a few choices. We are looking forward to the trip and your review is helping us in our planning.

Acejr371

Edited by acejr371

Puddles99,

Thank you for the great review. Me and my wife sailed on POA in April 2007. We are booked for Thanksgiving 2014 and we are taking our two daughters who we let them pick this trip from a few choices. We are looking forward to the trip and your review is helping us in our planning.

Acejr371

I'm so glad to help. It sounds like you're doing what we hope to do - return in a few years with our daughters in tow. I look forward to reading your review when you return!

For those waiting for the dailies - please accept my apologies. This was a rough week at work and I just never got to scanning them. I'm headed out of town for the weekend but left them in the middle of my desk so I see them first thing Tuesday - I'll get 'em done, I swear!

In the meantime, there are April dailies posted in a review in the Hawaii Port of Call forum & I think someone provided a link earlier in this thread.

Sorry about that!

How was the food in the main dining room? It wasn't very good on our January cruise so we switched to specialty restaurants for the last 4 nights of the cruise. We talked with ship officers about it several times and they were very gracious and interested in our comments.

How was the food in the main dining room? It wasn't very good on our January cruise so we switched to specialty restaurants for the last 4 nights of the cruise. We talked with ship officers about it several times and they were very gracious and interested in our comments.

We didn't spend much time in the MDR, to be honest, but our experience there was a positive one. As you mention, the ship's officers welcome feedback and do try to address any issues brought to their attention.

Great review and pictures! I'm looking to start planning our trip for Jan '15, so much info to go through and lots of decisions to make. :eek:

Lots of decisions - but it will be a ton of time! If you think of any questions I can try to help answer, please just let me know. Our trip was amazing not only because of the time we put in researching, but also because of all of the great information I found here, on TripAdvisor, and of course a sense of humor goes a LONG way :D.

Did I miss the rest of this review ? It seems to have just stopped in the middle .

It's all here, Cousin! See page 4 for Big Island and Kaua'i, page 5 Circle Island Tour Oahu and sad goodbyes plus epilogue. I think we just all wanted it to keep on going forevah ;) because it is soooo good!