Place to buy designer handbags in St. Thomas?

I bought a Coach purse in St. Thomas at Little Switzerland, I believe. It was downtown. I'm a Coach-aholic and it was a purse I had been wanting for months but couldn't justify the price for at home.

The difference for me was no sales tax and no shipping fees as there is not a true Coach store anywhere close to where I live. I can get a limited selection of Coach at department stores around here, but not the full line. Also, there was nobody around to stop me from indulging in my Coach obsession - my BF usually takes my wallet away from me anytime I am anywhere near Coach items so I won't buy any - price doesn't really matter for me.

There was once an authentic Louis Vuitton store in St. Thomas but after the bad hurricanes about 6-7 years ago, they never rebuilt. I was told in St. Martin last year that an authentic store was coming there but it was not there in February. Any LV that you see there is a "reproduction"...i.e. fake.

I know this may not have anything to do with St Thomas -- but sometimes St Martin is on the same itinerary --

We went to St Barths (a 45 minute hydrofoil ride away from St Martin) in January. They have a Louis Vuitton store -- among others. They are very expensive as nothing in St Barths in discounted. All of the shops are the real deal!

--Judy

Any chance your going to San Juan as they have a Coach factory store there? I believe the discount is anywhre from 20 to 40%. For example, I just bought a black wristlet for 34.00. Of course, no tax and they even ship it home for you!

Is the Coach outlet in San Juan any different then the outlets in the US. I have two someone near me so I always try to buy something there. If there is more of a discount I might want to buy something!

Is the Coach outlet in San Juan any different then the outlets in the US. I have two someone near me so I always try to buy something there. If there is more of a discount I might want to buy something!

When we were there last year, I didn't really see anything that I liked. I really didn't see any difference in price except for the taxes. I've been to several coach outlets here in mainland USA and thought the selections here was better. I was just in Coach Outlet in San Marcos (San Antonio, TX) and they had some of Coache's latest styles in that store.

There is also a Dooney & Bourke Outlet across the street from Coach in San Juan. Again selection was just okay, but I did get a great deal on a huge red leather messanger bag. But again, the D&B in San Marcos has a huge selection a lot of their items were on sale for an additional 40% off and they had the latest styles. Some purses we saw the same day in Dillards.

Having said all that, I do believe the outlet stores can be a hit and miss type of thing. And while those stores didn't have anything while I was there doesn't mean that their inventory will be low when someone else is there.

We were there in October and I found the selection at that time to be wonderful. I had just purchased a new purse, so I opted for contact lens case, wallet for my son, etc. Accessories! There was a younger lady there buying many items. She said she couldn't believe the prices. Her H/BF was following her around just shaking his head. Funny!!!

I did purchase a purse at Dooney & Bourke. It was from the Nile collection. The purse was around $300 US and I gave $85. It was suppose to have a flaw in it, but we couldn't find it- still haven't. The DB store is much smaller than Coach. Happy shopping!!!

I have bought several handbags at the Coach store in San Juan at very reasonable prices. I have been told by the salesperson at the coach store here in Kansas City, that most of the handbags in San Juan are ones Coach no longer sells in their retail stores or catalog. It doesn't matter to me, because Coach bags have stayability

There is also a Dooney & Bourke Outlet across the street from Coach in San Juan.

Just where in San Juan are these stores? Is it near the dock? If so, my daughter and I will spend all our money before we even get on the ship!:eek:

Joan

Just where in San Juan are these stores? Is it near the dock? If so, my daughter and I will spend all our money before we even get on the ship!:eek:

Joan

It's in old town, you would need to take a cab there from the pier.

Archived