Carnival Splendor or Norwegian Gem with 1 year old?

pen9uin

Hello all,

My husband and I are considering a cruise in September with our son who will be 14 months at the time. We have narrowed it down to either the Splendor 8 day to Eastern Caribbean or the Gem 7 day Florida and Bahamas, both out of NY.

Which ship is better for a 1 year old? What are the kids programs like on both? I understand the Gem has programs for 1 year olds with parental supervision, what about the Splendor?

Also, any general advice for traveling with a baby? One question I have in particular is how would he go in taxis? Do we bring his car seat? This will be our first major trip with him so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

14 months? That would seem to be just a bit young. Carnival's kid's programs are for kids 2 years old and up. Not sure about NCL. But, you are right to be concerned about transportation and the car seat! On board, you will have two options...a hip hugger or a stroller. Either one might be a consideration starting as early as the emergency drill on embarkation day. Sorry to sound negative, but you should consider your comfort as well as your son's when making the decision to cruise or not. As a grandparent, I suspect you have at least one who would be totally excited to babysit while you and hubby cruise! ;)

sounds great if you can deal with the stress involved. I suspect neither will have a program suited for 14mo babies. no grandma's or sister's that would be willing to help you out and maybe you do the same for them? maybe offer to take one of the grandma's along? otherwise it just sounds overwhelming to me.

Archived