We are off on the Spirit on the 2nd June on the Myths of the Fjords cruise. My other half has talked me into booking the Flam railway/hike excursion. Just wondered if anyone had been on it and could let me know just what the hike part involves.

Cannot help with the hike bit, but last year we did the full day Flam Railway trip and it was really great, you can of course do the railway yourself - but with the organised trip you get to see wonderful waterfalls and the 'hairy' coach trip down the road with many hairpin bends - its not really that bad and lunch in Voss. An excellent day and well worth the money. Another trip well worth doing is at Gerainger to Mount Dilsnibba and the frozen lake, only a few hours this trip.

Enjoy.

We are off on the Spirit on the 2nd June on the Myths of the Fjords cruise. My other half has talked me into booking the Flam railway/hike excursion. Just wondered if anyone had been on it and could let me know just what the hike part involves.
We are going on the Flam railway in September and we have pre-booked with some others on the Princess roll call. We are just going up and down again (not as adventurous as you :D)

So I will be interested to hear your experiences. Have a wonderful time :)

Thanks for the recommendation, will have a look at that excursion. Not long to go now, will have to get a march on the packing. By the look of the weather this week it will be duffel coats and wellies!

We're in Flam the same day as you - on P&O but hoping I'll not be feeling like jumping ship. :rolleyes: I'm very fond of Spirit but gave in as travelling to Newcastle compared with a Southampton departure just didn't make sense for us.

As for the weather, we go to Iceland too and my DH has just read that they had recorded the lowest May temperature in Iceland the other day - minus 21.7C! Oh dear!

So reassessed packing yet again - threw out the crops and tops and got out more jeans, sweatshirts and fleeces! I can't even see it being warm as we leave Southampton at this rate. It said it's 'probably the most intensive cold spell in May since at least 1982'! Trust us to decide to go now! :rolleyes:

We are travelling down from scotland that morning. Have never cruised from uk before, we usually fly out to the sun so not sure what to expect. We do travel up to the islands on the cal mac ferries mind you and have experienced some rough seas but not for any length of time. One good thing is the lack of luggage restrictions so will be laden down with various combinations of outfits!

HI were going on the same cruise,also travelling down from Scotland that morning, was beginning to think no one else was on it. Have booked the whole day excursion on Flam railway and have only heard great things about it. Like everyone else we are taking all sort of clothing with us for all types of weather doesn't look too hopeful at moment but still really looking forward to it

We are leaving about 0830 and will just take our time heading down. Weather seems to be picking up a bit but still have the seasickness pills packed just in case. Looking forward to joining everyone on board and having a great cruise.

We are travelling down from scotland that morning. Have never cruised from uk before, we usually fly out to the sun so not sure what to expect. We do travel up to the islands on the cal mac ferries mind you and have experienced some rough seas but not for any length of time. One good thing is the lack of luggage restrictions so will be laden down with various combinations of outfits!

We also are from Scotland. I wish more cruises would start from Rosyth. Its nearer Scandavanian countries, yet we have to travel south to England before cruising back up north to go to these countries including Iceland.

We also are from Scotland. I wish more cruises would start from Rosyth. Its nearer Scandavanian countries, yet we have to travel south to England before cruising back up north to go to these countries including Iceland.

Totally agree with you, we head down to Newcastle in three weeks. The Spirit passes our way why can't it stop off in Leith or as you say Rosyth before heading to Norway. There's the Marco Polo that sails out of Leith to the fjords.:D:D

Biffybear will be looking forward to hear how you got on with your trip to the Norway.

Totally agree with you, we head down to Newcastle in three weeks. The Spirit passes our way why can't it stop off in Leith or as you say Rosyth before heading to Norway. There's the Marco Polo that sails out of Leith to the fjords.:D:D

Biffybear will be looking forward to hear how you got on with your trip to the Norway.

The "Superfast Ferries" which sailed for a few years to Zeebruge/Bruges from Rosyth were so handy. We had 3 enjoyable stay overs in Bruges.

Archived