Traveling with 18 year old

Terri102066

Okay I have spoken to Carnival twice about this and I have gotten two different stories. I will be traveling with an 18 year old (son's girlfriend) and I have called Carnival twice about getting a letter from her parents and so on. First time I spoke to Carnival they said nothing is needed because she is 18. Then since the time is getting closer and I feed uneasy I called back and the lady said yes that I would need a note from her Mother (the lady at Carnvial said it could just be a note and not notorized). What good could that be anyone can write a note. So not I am wondering if I should get a notorized letter from both parents, just to be safe, but that would be a lot of trouble since her parents are divorced and father doesn't live close. I am sure that other people have did this and what were they asked for.

Terri

i was 19 on my first cruise with my boyfriend 22 and I did not need one. If I could be in the military since I was 17, I don't think people of legal age need a letter. Especially if someone in the party is over 21.

Whenever we've travelled with one of my sister's friends we always got a note for many reasons. My parents liked to have the note just to make sure that the person in question really did have their parent's permission to go...if we were leaving the state or country...my parents made sure it was a notorized note (usually required of minors crossing borders). Now...this is irrelevant if the person is 18 or older, however my parents still asked for a note from the kid's parents. Why? Medical Decisions. In the event of an emergency, if this 18 year old is not able to make their own medical decisions the hospital will need to talk to next-of-kin (which is not you). It is good to have a note signed by the girl and her parents saying that it is OK for you to make medical decisions in the event that she is not able to and/or parents cannot be reached. We never thought we would need this until we ran into a dental emergency with my sister's boyfriend. My Mum just whipped out the notorized letter and gave it to the Nurse.

Might be a good idea to get her parent's formal permission anyway, even if she is 18 and especially if she is living in their house...just to be on the safe side.

Again I am confussed. If she is 18 and is considered an adult why would a letter for medical treatment be required from her parents. I can see a letter from her, but not her parents, also should I give her a letter giving her the right to sign for medical treatment for me?

Terri

If your relatives are going with you...you shouldn't have to worry about allowing her to make medical decisions for you. Your next-of-kin can make those decisions.

I'd say still get her parents permission... It sounds to me that carnival is a little fuzzy on what they would consider to be an adult. This just sounds like a better safe than sorry situation to me.

This person is 18 years old. She is of legal age. She does not need her parents permission to travel, she can authorize her own medical treatment and she can leave the country legally. She should give you a letter authorizing YOU to consent for medical treatment in case she somehow gets incapacitated.

Archived