Outlets on celebrity 2 prong or 3

guidance lady

Just as a reminder: the adapters mentioned above are not universal adapters in terms of voltage. They are (unless I missed something in the thread) all for use with 110v. If you are just using the adapter on a Celebrity ship or in the US, the adapters/power strips mentioned should work well. I have been told that if one is planning on using an adapter or power strip in a hotel in any country (UK, Europe, Australia, Thailand, etc.) that uses 220-240v AND also use it in the US or on a Celebrity ship (110v), then you would need a universal adapter/power strip (110-240v). I am not referring to a voltage converter, but rather, an adapter that simply gives you additional outlets for usage (that which has been discussed in this thread). I'm not an expert in terms of electrical usage, so I hope someone with expert knowledge will confirm that this is correct information.

The Belkin device I posted a photo of is only an extension device, creating three surge protected 110V outlets from a single 110V outlet. It is NOT an adapter for various voltages, or plug configurations. It does have the benefit of having two USP ports that many modern electronic devices such as cellphones, tablets, laptops and cameras can be plugged into to recharge. Wherever the Belkin adapter can be used, there is usually no need to bring a separate power transformer for such devices, regardless of their voltage or plug configuration.

It would help make it clear to everyone if we talk about "adaptors" [which allow for a different plug and socket [uK]/outlet [uS] configuration - 2 or 3 prong and different shape "prongs"] and "transformers" [which change voltage up [step-up] or down [step-down]].

To use a 220/240 volt appliance with a 110 volt socket/outlet is unlikely to do any harm but the appliance may not work or may not work as efficiently.

To use a 110 volt appliance with a 220/240 volt socket/outlet without a step-down transformer is very likely to damage the item beyond repair. As a step-down transformer is a large and heavy item, you are unlikely to want to travel with one in your luggage.

Duel voltage appliances can be used with any socket/outlet.

Sue

The picture in #3 a show me that the recepticles are installed upside down. The grounding pin should be in the six oclock posistion vice the 12 oclock posistion. All you electritions can comment on that. Just an observation:)

The picture in #3 a show me that the recepticles are installed upside down. The grounding pin should be in the six oclock posistion vice the 12 oclock posistion. All you electritions can comment on that. Just an observation:)

Actually, there is no standard. I've seen them installed both ways. It seems that in residential installations, the pin is typically in the down position, probably for esthetic reasons. But in many commercial installations, they are facing up. From what I have read, many electricians mount them with the grounding pin up so that if a metal cover plate is being used - as often seen in commercial installations - and the screw loosens and the plate falls across a partially dislodged plug, it will not bridge across the hot and neutral, creating a short. Although remote, this situation has been known to happen.

See this website for a long discussion on this "electrifying" topic:

http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?id=grounding/unformatted/9-23-99&type=u&title=Receptacles%20-%20Ground%20Up%20or%20Ground%20Down?%20(9-23-99)

Archived