K&K’s European Adventure ~ Carnival Legend Review May 2013

CupKayke

Loved reading your review! The Rome tour sounds like a total nightmare but I'm glad the rest of the trip went smoothly. We did a similar itinerary last September and the Naples port was my favorite, too (we did an all-day tour of Capri and it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen).

Loved reading your review! The Rome tour sounds like a total nightmare but I'm glad the rest of the trip went smoothly. We did a similar itinerary last September and the Naples port was my favorite, too (we did an all-day tour of Capri and it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen).

Thank you! We were able to see Capri several times along the way on our route and take pictures (I just never got great ones). A couple on our ship took a boat along the Amalfi Coast and then back to Capri ~ what a wonderful day that would have been!! If we are ever on a ship that stops in Naples again it will be hard to choose between Pompeii & Capri!!

Hey CupKayke!

Actually, we didn't leave the couple in Livorno. Their taxi pulled up to the pier literally seconds after we pushed away. The taxi was honking and blinking its lights. Everyone on their balconies cheered when they got out. Two Carnival reps were at the pier to meet them. I watched as they talked for a bit, then walked to the end of the pier. Their taxi waited as we continued to sail(coast, rather), and eventually drove down to the end of the pier, in which, I'm assuming he asked them did they need a ride anywhere else. The agents and the couple waved him off and he left. I then knew they were going to be let on the ship. Sure enough, the Piloti boat came from in front of the ship and sped back the pier to pick up the couple. Once they were aboard the boat, it sped around to the port side so I couldn't see anything else. The ship was still coasting inside the port though and the water was very calm. My dad happened to be watching from the Lido deck and saw the Piloti boat pull up to the ship and the couple got on.

Shortly after, John Heald comes on with announcement saying we had left them and assumed they got on a wrong train....blah, blah, blah. My cousin had also watched from the Lido and was mad and we all figured John just didn't want to come off of those free drinks he promised. :rolleyes:

Also, my dad loved the trip! Now he wants me to look into Paris. He HAS to see the Eiffel Tower. LOL

There were two missing couples...one made it, but we did leave another couple in Livorno, according to John Heald. Maybe he lied to get out of buying us all a drink

You're right - I'm the guy in the blue shirt in the middle!!!

DSCF8368_zps262f4e18.jpg

Just kidding....I am however the guy in the blue "Aloha" shirt in this pic.

shotojuku_zpsb3dbfd7c.jpg

Even I recognized that shirt. BTW, my email is ewallace819@gmail.com

Send me yours and I will send you the pic of us on the Acropolis

Thank you! We were able to see Capri several times along the way on our route and take pictures (I just never got great ones). A couple on our ship took a boat along the Amalfi Coast and then back to Capri ~ what a wonderful day that would have been!! If we are ever on a ship that stops in Naples again it will be hard to choose between Pompeii & Capri!!

What a wonderful review. We took the tour of Ephesus and our bus got caught in that torrential storm. Thank God we were on a Carnival excursion, so they waited for us. We were the reason that we sailed late from Turkey. I was bummed because there was no time to shop in the port stores....but at the time, getting on board seemed more important.

I am waiting to hear how you got your souvenirs home when your bags were so close to 50 when you left. We bought a suitcase at an Ikea in Barcelona and checked three bags to come home. It cost $100 to check that bag, but I think that was less than overweight fees

Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation with us. I was wondering does the wall surround the whole city/town. It looks quite interesting.:confused:

The wall surrounds what they call The Old City which is where most excursions go. We walked the non sea half and got amazing photos as well, but I found it to be very steep with a lot of steps and it got hot up there. We loved it, but bailed at the Pile Gate. We entered at the Ploce Gate. Looking at the wonderful photos of the sea, I am sorry that we could not walk all the way around.

What a wonderful review. We took the tour of Ephesus and our bus got caught in that torrential storm. Thank God we were on a Carnival excursion, so they waited for us. We were the reason that we sailed late from Turkey. I was bummed because there was no time to shop in the port stores....but at the time, getting on board seemed more important.

I am waiting to hear how you got your souvenirs home when your bags were so close to 50 when you left. We bought a suitcase at an Ikea in Barcelona and checked three bags to come home. It cost $100 to check that bag, but I think that was less than overweight fees

Thank you for your kind comments about my review. Thank God you were on a Carnival excursion is soooo right!! We heard about those two buses getting caught in the crazy rain!! Well, at least it was an adventure in Turkey!! LOL :D

I got my souvenirs home by the skin of my teeth. We packed toilet paper (my DH thinks Carnival's toilet paper is terrible), wine, and other items we either used or left in the room. I also left our shampoo and conditioner, shaving cream, and any other liquids we did not need for one night in Dublin in our cabin. I also left a book and on the way back through, I carried a small purse with my backpack - a very heavy purse with lots of items previously in my backpack - and then moved items from the suitcase with the backpack. Basically, I utilized the backpacks much better this time and stuffed them to the gills. We were over on our flights with Aer Lingus from Barcelona to Dublin but we had paid for a 3rd bag and they agreed to make the 15 Euro 3rd bag fee our over the weight feet as long as we got everything in 2 bags - and we did! We got lucky. Then, when we were checking-in with Delta in Dublin to fly back to the United States... I was, again, overweight. I quickly moved items from my suitcase to my husband's and we were okay - he was at 48 pounds and I was at exactly 50 pounds. They put a big orange "HEAVY" sticker on my suitcase. I am going away for training with work next month and I plan to pack 6 nights of clothes & every item I need all into a little roll-on carry-on I purchased when we got back. My days of overpacking are DONE after this trip... but I say that every trip :o ... I just really, really feel like I mean it this time. HA!

There were two missing couples...one made it, but we did leave another couple in Livorno, according to John Heald. Maybe he lied to get out of buying us all a drink

When we pulled off, we were only missing 1 couple in a cabin on the 8th deck from NZ. I remember John rattling off their cabin number and their last name indicated they were Asian. As I explained in my previous post, their taxi pulled up as soon as we pushed off from the pier. The Asian couple got out and waited at the end of the pier with Carnival's agents. I even took pictures from my balcony. The "Piloti" boat loaded them before we were completely out of the Livorno harbor/pier area. During this process JH made an announcement that the couple probably got on the wrong train...blah, blah, blah. Either he hadn't been updated or he lied. :rolleyes:

When we pulled off, we were only missing 1 couple in a cabin on the 8th deck from NZ. I remember John rattling off their cabin number and their last name indicated they were Asian. As I explained in my previous post, their taxi pulled up as soon as we pushed off from the pier. The Asian couple got out and waited at the end of the pier with Carnival's agents. I even took pictures from my balcony. The "Piloti" boat loaded them before we were completely out of the Livorno harbor/pier area. During this process JH made an announcement that the couple probably got on the wrong train...blah, blah, blah. Either he hadn't been updated or he lied. :rolleyes:

Either way.... I WANT MY FREE DRINK!!! ;):D

Great review, thank you for sharing! We will be going to Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples and Rome on our Celebrity cruise in October. The more reviews I read, the more excited I get! Can't wait!

Thank you and HAVE FUN!! :)

Day 2 in Venice continued…

We got off the VA at S. Marco or St Mark’s Square. The amount of people everywhere was overwhelming at times but surprisingly, most people were very polite!

The crazy amount of people in St Mark’s Square…

Allthepeople_zpsc2ee0576.jpg

Busy gondolas today, despite the warmer weather... Gondolatraffic_zps356c0b0f.jpg

By the way, it was warmer in Venice than anywhere this trip - and very humid! Wear lightweight clothing and take your bug spray.

We were just outside St Mark’s Square when we looked-up and saw our ship coming-in!! YAY!!! It was the coolest feeling ever to see the Carnival Legend pass St Mark’s Square!! The decks and balconies were stuffed with people looking at Venice and Venice was full of people cheering and taking pictures of the ship! The ship's horn blew and it was awesome!!

Can you see all the people on the decks??

Legendinvenice_zpsc2166e68.jpg

The best thing we did today was get away from all the crowds, taking little side streets and canals – where it is cooler, less crowded, and soooo much nicer!! We walked until we couldn’t walk anymore and at some point in the day, I simply quit taking pictures. Amazing is the only word I can use to describe Venice. A-m-a-z-i-n-g!

A nice, cool side street…

SideStreet_zpsd8e368b5.jpg

After walking the back areas behind St Mark’s Square, we took the VA over to San Giorgio Island. It is a short trip from St Mark’s Square to there and back. It’s very scenic too…

GIslandpic_zpsc0de526f.jpg

The views on the way over and back on the VA were beautiful!

ViewsofVenicefromVA_zps51a64940.png

My daughter was on the Legend arriving in Venice May3rd when you took this picture. We are travelling on the Sunshine Venice to Barcelona in Sept. I've read all your reviews. They are very helpful

My daughter was on the Legend arriving in Venice May3rd when you took this picture. We are travelling on the Sunshine Venice to Barcelona in Sept. I've read all your reviews. They are very helpful

You're welcome! I'm glad my tips were helpful. Seeing our ship sail into Venice as we were walking down the waterside near St Mark's Square was a great moment!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
The Amalfi Coast Continued... Positano!

We soon arrived in Positano and we were given just over an hour to walk down to the beach, shop, etc. Positano is just like the movies… so quaint and beautiful!

The walk down to the beach…

WalkwaytothePositanobeach_zps5914e164.jpg

This bread was freshly baked and smelled sooooooooooo good!!

breadbreadbreadinPositano_zps2c983546.jpg

Signs in Positano…

Positanosigns_zps81906453.jpg

Shopping in Positano was actually a fairly decent deal at the shops at the top of the hill. I noticed the shops on or near the beach were much more expensive. I purchased a beautiful scarf and still regret not buying a beautiful, lightweight top for only 19 Euro.

Positanoshopping_zps2afed38f.jpg

View of Positano from the beach…

ColorfulPositano_zps81d8cd0b.jpg

Colorful and famous beach… where Under The Tuscan Sun was filmed. Tony said they filmed here for three days.

FamousPositanoBeach_zpsf5146db5.jpg

Up next… more of the beautiful Amalfi Coast!

I noticed Antica Sartoria in another person's posts. Is this where you bought the scarf? Did they have a wide range of sizes? How were prices? Thanks so much!

I noticed Antica Sartoria in another person's posts. Is this where you bought the scarf? Did they have a wide range of sizes? How were prices? Thanks so much!

Yes. This is where I bought the scarf - I know because I kept the adorable fish-shaped tag. They have a wide range of scarfs in various fabrics - long and short and various colors & patterns. I chose an extra long, semi-heavy cotton scarf, brown with a white pattern. There is an excellent selection at prices ranging from 9 Euros and up. I think I paid 11 Euros but do not remember. I walked in and walked around and looked at everything.

Yes. This is where I bought the scarf - I know because I kept the adorable fish-shaped tag. They have a wide range of scarfs in various fabrics - long and short and various colors & patterns. I chose an extra long, semi-heavy cotton scarf, brown with a white pattern. There is an excellent selection at prices ranging from 9 Euros and up. I think I paid 11 Euros but do not remember. I walked in and walked around and looked at everything.

Thanks. I'm just re-reading through your post again, as we get closer to our sail date.

Hi Cupkayke,

I've just finished reading your review and wanted to say that I absolutely loved it! My husband and I did a Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Freedom in 2008 but we didn't visit Athens or Turkey. Your photos were fantastic! I'm now thinking we might do another cruise next year and perhaps visit Athens and the Greek Islands. Thank you for sharing you trip.

Nice review, thanks for posting and the wonderul pictures.

Thank you very much. I am quite proud of my pictures now that I've had so many kind comments. :o:D

Hi Cupkayke,

I've just finished reading your review and wanted to say that I absolutely loved it! My husband and I did a Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Freedom in 2008 but we didn't visit Athens or Turkey. Your photos were fantastic! I'm now thinking we might do another cruise next year and perhaps visit Athens and the Greek Islands. Thank you for sharing you trip.

Thank you and you are welcome. Greece was my favorite place ~ I still smile when I remember! Santorini is on my list of places to visit someday!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS REVIEW!!! This has to be one of the best I have ever read, the details are so helpful. The pictures were really an added treat and so clear, really great job!

We are going on the Sunshine in October the same exact cruise and I am driving everyone (myself included) crazy in over planning. There is just so much I want to do and don't want to miss a thing.

I have a couple of questions if you don't minding answering. We have 3 days in Venice so I was going to purchase a 72 hour Vaporetto pass. But you said to go on the Vaporetto dell'Arte ???? Is this 2 different forms of transportation or the same thing?

The other thing is you were talking about never pre paying a deposit for a Europe tour. I am ready to pay pal a company in Messina 30 per cent deposit. He came recommented by Rick Steves so I felf comforable doing so but reading your comments I am second guessing myself.

I love the balance of your review and although things in Rome were not steller you both made the best of the day and didn't let it get you down!!! That's my last quesstion. Would you buy a go to the front of the line pass at the Vatican, is it really necessary?

Thank you again for this informative fun review, now I am even more excited if that is at all possible!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS REVIEW!!! This has to be one of the best I have ever read, the details are so helpful. The pictures were really an added treat and so clear, really great job!

We are going on the Sunshine in October the same exact cruise and I am driving everyone (myself included) crazy in over planning. There is just so much I want to do and don't want to miss a thing.

I have a couple of questions if you don't minding answering. We have 3 days in Venice so I was going to purchase a 72 hour Vaporetto pass. But you said to go on the Vaporetto dell'Arte ???? Is this 2 different forms of transportation or the same thing?

Thank you again for this informative fun review, now I am even more excited if that is at all possible!

Hubby & I were also on the Legend cruise w/Cupcayke. We shared a Rome-in-Limo land tour of the Amalfi Coast with her and 2 other couples. I think it was one of our most memorable days on this fantastic cruise! Cupcayke, I have some great video of us singing! Will let you know when I get it posted.

Gck1249, for what it's worth here's what worked for us in Venice. We arrived 4 days prior to our cruise and purchased the 7-day vaporetto pass at the airport. Great investment! Both systems use the same type of transportation. As Cupcayke said, the dell'Arte is definitely less crowded and has additional features. But we never had an issue with the crowds or standing while moving and we are older travelers (60's). My take is if you're looking for complete transportation around the islands you can't beat the savings of the 3 day pass. Plus, you can get to the other islands with the regular vaporetto. Don't miss Burano and San Giorgio Maggori! Another plus is being able to hop on and off later at night.

Can't respond to the tour deposit issue. The Vatican can be quite time consuming. So being on a strict time schedule I'd skip the line at the Vatican Museum.

Have a great time on your cruise. No matter what you chose, you can't go wrong in Venice. And, I'd do this cruise again in a heartbeat!!!

I'm finally getting my trip pictures together. Here's my flickr link if you're interested in more pics, and some sail away video on Vimeo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28606690@N06/sets/

Oh, and my cruise blog: https://anniversarylegend.shutterfly.com/

Great review. So I guess with your hectic schedule, you just went to Pisa? Did you skip Florence? We have a full day tour of Rome prior to getting to Livorno and not sure our boys 9 and 10 will be able to make it as it's the 8th stop and right after Rome. Thinking maybe of just going to Pisa on our own and climb the tower which we cannot do with tour as early tiks gone. Do you think we should take the extra 3 1/2 hours in the tour travel time to get Florence in?

:rolleyes:

Archived