Myths of the Fjords

Help, we are due to leave on Sunday from Newcastle and I am getting more and more jumpy looking at the weather outside. At the moment it is lashing down, wind is blowing the trees about and have just hear on the news most of the Scottish ferry services are disrupted. Can anybody let me know the best sea sickness tablets to buy! We have had two sets of tickets disappear in the post (have to phone today if still not arrived), beginning to regret abandoning the sun this year.

Help, we are due to leave on Sunday from Newcastle and I am getting more and more jumpy looking at the weather outside. At the moment it is lashing down, wind is blowing the trees about and have just hear on the news most of the Scottish ferry services are disrupted. Can anybody let me know the best sea sickness tablets to buy! We have had two sets of tickets disappear in the post (have to phone today if still not arrived), beginning to regret abandoning the sun this year.

Stugeron - you can buy over the counter at Boots. I am a poor traveller and can feel sick if I look at a map for too long in the car and have felt really rough (once when I forgot to tske the Stugeron) whilst on the sea. But we've been through Force 9 gales on the north Sea and with Stugeron I've never missed a meal! ;)

However you must take it as a preventative - two hours before you anticipate problems. I listen carefully to the Capt's announcements and if he's saying anything which sets my alarm bells ringing, I take the tablets before we set sail. Even a choppy sea outside the harbour is enough for me to take medication. Some people say it makes them drowsy but I don't seem to be bothered except that I sleep well if I've taken one.

I think there are warnings about the effect of alcohol too but again I still have a couple of drinks with no problem however for someone who likes a few more they may have to be aware. Also ask the Pharmacist about any contra-indications. I think you shouldn't take them if you have specific medical conditions or are taking some other medication.

Apart from that I find them exceedingly effective! Wishing you a good, smooth trip with some decent weather. We're off to Iceland next week so I have a similar concern about the weather! :rolleyes:

We too are on this cruise. We live in Newcastle so its a short trip to the port. We are also adandoning our normal sun kissed holiday for this cruise. We are really loking forward to it. Everything will be fine,enjoy it.

Thanks for all your replies, will pop into Boots and stock up. Have packed for all weather conditions, probably wont be room in the cabin for all the luggage (flip flops to boots) so bring it on! Looking forward to it really, everyone who has sailed on this cruise before has appeared to love it.

We are going on this cruise too :) I have been religiously researching the weather sites for Sunday, and at the moment it is looking quite sunny, warm and calm! I have packed traveleze (the only pills I can take without getting sick ironically!) and will have a large brandy if it's too bad!

:)

We are going on this cruise too :) I have been religiously researching the weather sites for Sunday, and at the moment it is looking quite sunny, warm and calm! I have packed traveleze (the only pills I can take without getting sick ironically!) and will have a large brandy if it's too bad!

We've taken the AI drinks package so we will definitely indulging in large something or others

They are the ones recommend for a cruise as they work well and have less side affects than some. They can cause drowsiness so if you take any other medications that have this as a side affect beware. You could sleep for longer than you wanted to and they should be taken with a drink, sorry water as they can give you a dry mouth. However they do stop that sickness feeling.

Have a fantastic holiday and hopefully the brandy will work wonders.

We are AI as well so the brandy will definitely take a hit if the weather is bad, although I'm more of a g&t gal. Still any port in a storm (bad joke). Here's to a fabulous holiday to everyone who's sailing next week.

We are AI as well so the brandy will definitely take a hit if the weather is bad, although I'm more of a g&t gal. Still any port in a storm (bad joke). Here's to a fabulous holiday to everyone who's sailing next week.

Yeah,I'm sure it will be great. I usually stick to beer although I do venture into long island ice tea but as nice as it is wow what a hangover ha ha.

Long island teas are lovely but I dont like the cocktail mixes they use on the ships. They do a lovely pear and ginger collins in the Grand Central cocktail bar in Glasgow, its made with Hendricks gin I think.

Archived