La Spezia to Florence

Kelv_2013

Our ship, the Liberty of the Seas calls at La Spezia (31st July) and we (family of four) would like to visit Florence. We have already booked private tours for other ports and this time we are just wanting something a little more simple (and less costly).

I am a wheelchair user, so we have to factor that in, but we are wondering if anyone has experience of making their own taxi arrangements from the port of La Spezia into Florence and back? RRCL offer a "Florence on your Own" excursion but its a whole 10 hours, including transfers and we were looking for something shorter because we have full tour days planned before and after the La Spezia call.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would be very pleased to hear.

On a more general note, when we sailed a couple of years ago on the Ventura, P&O provided shuttle buses from the ship to the nearest town. Does RCCL do the same or are you on your own once you step off the ship?

We are taking the same trip on the 14th of July - our travel agent is there now - she advised us to visit the cinque de terra (5 towns) and not go to Florence because it is a very long day and far from the port.

I am meeting with her on Monday - and she will be showing me her pictures etc. - I will let you know what else she recommends.

This is our first cruise and I will be with my husband and our 3 kids - ages 18, 21 and 24. Any other advice you have to offer we would appreciate!

Barbara

You would be better off arranging for a private car/driver in advance of your trip. Although you might be able to get a taxi in La Spezia (this in not guaranteed depending on supply vs demand) you need to understand that its more then 180 miles round trip to Florence. So a taxi is going to charge you a lot of Euros (probably 400+) and its very possible that your driver will speak little or no English.

Hank

It is two hours plus from La Spezia via Pisa to Florence, and train is the way to go .

With mobility issues you would be better to either take a taxi to Portovenere (a 30 minute trip), or Manarola or Vernazza on the Cinque Terre accessible by tarin from La Spezia Centrale station .

Portovenere is a lovely coastal village on the Gulf of Poets.

Many thanks to all of you for replying and for your advice. We have more or less ruled out Florence now because of the travel to and from and as much as it has come highly recommended I think it is best left for another time.

We are taking the same trip on the 14th of July - our travel agent is there now - she advised us to visit the cinque de terra (5 towns) and not go to Florence because it is a very long day and far from the port.

I am meeting with her on Monday - and she will be showing me her pictures etc. - I will let you know what else she recommends.

This is our first cruise and I will be with my husband and our 3 kids - ages 18, 21 and 24. Any other advice you have to offer we would appreciate!

Barbara

Barbara, I shall look into the Cinque de Terra and I shall be pleased to hear what your TA thinks and how her pictures look.

As for cruising advice, I'm sure there are plenty of long-time cruisers who are better placed than me to provide tips, my approach has always been to prepare as much as I can in advance, but not to over plan and risk taking the fun out of it. As I use a wheelchair, we like to make sure as best we can that there aren't any unwelcomed surprises, one reason why we have arranged our own private tours with local companies, RomeinLimo for Italy and Riviera Premium Tours for France.

If you're doing the same cruise as us (myself, my wife and kids 18 and 15) you must be really looking forward to getting on board. From everything I have read, the Liberty of the Seas is one fine ship. This is our third cruise, spread over many years but the LOTS will be the largest we have sailed on and we are counting down the days.

I'm on the July 14 cruise as well. We were in cinque Terre 2 years ago, and I think it may be tough in a wheel chair. Monterosso is the only flat town of the 5 and if I remember correctly, there were lots of steps from the train station. If there was an elevator, I didn't notice it

Our travel agent suggested we take the RC excursion - LL09 - which is the Italian Beach and Pisa - it gives you lots of time to relax - and time for lunch - we are booked - - our 3 adult children - 18, 21 and 24 love to hang on the beach. I have never spent so much time planning a vacation before!

I'm on the July 14 cruise as well. We were in cinque Terre 2 years ago, and I think it may be tough in a wheel chair. Monterosso is the only flat town of the 5 and if I remember correctly, there were lots of steps from the train station. If there was an elevator, I didn't notice it

I agree. I have never paid that close attention, but have been there several times and it seems like it would be very difficult to do in a wheelchair. These are tiny seaside towns on pretty steep slopes with cobbled streets.

You might consider taking a cab at the tender drop off (not really much there at all) to the train station, and then a train to Lucca--49 kms.

Deebs2 - did you plan any excursions? Any advice on restaurants on board or meal times - first timer with 3 adult kids - 18, 21 and 24 - also first time on a message board - not sure if I am responding correctly.

When we did cinque Terre, it wasn't on a cruise. We did Rome, Venice, Cinque Terre, Santa Margarita/ Portofino and then a stop in Pisa.

On our upcoming cruise, I'm going to book a trip to Cassis in the Toulon port, I've hired a private driver in Naples, but since we've been every where else, we are going to tour on our own. Pre cruise we have 3 days in Barcelona and time in Mallorca...never been to those places.

We have 7 pm dining

I was looking for a way to private message you, but I can't figure it out. Feel free to ask me any questions. I've been in about 12 cruises and Europe a few times....

• 3 weeks later...
It is two hours plus from La Spezia via Pisa to Florence, and train is the way to go .

With mobility issues you would be better to either take a taxi to Portovenere (a 30 minute trip), or Manarola or Vernazza on the Cinque Terre accessible by tarin from La Spezia Centrale station .

Portovenere is a lovely coastal village on the Gulf of Poets.

We are on the 18th of July RCCL cruise which will arive in LaSpezia on the 20th. We want to see Florence. How difficult to get to train station to get to Florence from port? Can we walk? Are there plenty of trains going back and forth. Could not really make heads or tails of taking the train from Ls Spezia so any info you can provide would be of great help. Otherwise, for four of us, it will cost $400.00 for RCCL excursion which just takes you to Florence and picks you up. There has got to be a better way and we are hoping the train is it. Looking forward to response - Dave in Houston

Archived