Tell me about renting motor scooters in Bermuda!

LizzieTrowbridge

We have been to Bermuda 3 or 4 times and going again this August. The whole family goes and we all get the scooters and ride double. I couldn't even get my sons to take the ferry or bus if I tried. I ride behind my husband and we are now in our early sixties. My sons both in their 30's ride with their girlfriends on back. We love it. So much freedom to come and go as you please and see all over the island with no time restrictions. Yes you have to be careful and remember to drive on correct side of the road. I would never ride one but behind my husband I'm fine. I think they are well worth getting but you need to have common sense and drive carefully as you would anywhere. Oleander is right there at the Dock Yard and you can reserve.

If I can just already had to the wonderful advice by Wookie, as a native I would recommend:

1) Drive in the middle of the lane. Too many tourists hug the side of the road and that just leads to problems like when cars pull out a bit to get a look at the road or not giving yourself room to maneuver on a bend;

2) The speed limit may be 35k (22mph), the flow of traffic is travelling at 40 to 50k (27mph, 33mph). If you're already comfortable riding a scooter/harley, I would go at least 40 and probably 45k and you will alleviate most of the tailgaters. No one here gets a ticket for doing less than 50k. Especially on the three main roads: North, South and Middle.

3) There are plenty of cutouts on South Shore on the side of the road on the way back to Dockyard. This is the time to strop and be a lookie-loo and admire the scenery.

4) if you get lost, pullover in a safe location and pull out your map. Many Bermudians will be happy to stop help give you directions where you need to go. Hopefully, someone will stop for you. There are also plenty of gas stations to stop for help.

We just stayed in a rental for 10 days and had a scooter for the entire time.

Like others have said, this is no place to learn how to ride, but if you have some experience, odds are you'll be fine.

Best advice that I received is...

- never look back. The speed limit is 20 MPH. It is obeyed about as much as the 55 MPH on some US Highways. Bermudians are the nicest people in the world until they get behind the wheel (or handlebars). You WILL be tailgated, but don't freak out... just focus on what is ahead of you. A quick glance in the rearview mirror occasionally is all you need. You will be STARTLED when someone passes you from out of nowhere. Again don't make any quick changes, just stay the course and focus on your scooter and what's ahead.

- if you obstructing traffic for a while, pull over safely and let everyone pass. Sometimes the roads are too narrow and curvy, or there may be too much oncoming traffic for someone to pass you. If this goes on for a while look ahead for a wide area, like a bus stop and put on your turn signal and pull over safely to let everyone pass. Other people have places to be. You're on vacation. There's no rush.

- slow speed maneuvers are trickier than you think. You will get comfortable moving along at 20-30 MPH. Then you will need to stop or turn around in a driveway and think you can handle it just fine. Stop right there. At walking speed the throttle and gearing become super sensitive. If you give it a little extra gas your turning radius suddenly expands and now you are off the pavement or into a nice coral wall that is more abrasive than the strongest sandpaper. If you need to turn in tight space, throttle all the way down (or as one taxi driver suggested, turn the motor off) and go to "Fred Flintstone" mode... move the bike with your feet. It will take a few seconds longer but will save you embarrassment, road rash or even more.

I only used the motorbike during the day and had a zero tolerance policy for alcohol. (I had a non-alcoholic beer at the Swizzle Inn :( ) If we were going out at night it was usually bus on the way there and taxi home.

Overall I loved the experience with my own means of transportation. We travelled the entire Island from Dockyard to St. Georges and filled up twice.

Good luck!

I've come upon this thread late but I agree with the posters advice on scooter rentals. We've been to Bermuda twice and rented scooters both times and we had little problem with them either time. One reason the cruise lines will discourage you because they don't get anything back from scooter rentals vs tours booked from the ship.We found the local drivers to be fairly forgiving and it gave us time to go about at our own pace. We wanted to snorkel and found with the scooter and a little bit of planning we could find spots that weren't nearly as busy.

Something else to consider. I just checked my travel accident policy for my upcoming bermuda trip, and motor bikes and scooters are excluded. Next time I'm going to check this before I buy policy. While I do think scooters are generally safe I'm not comfortable knowing injuries would not be covered.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Gngrasso

I've never ridden anything besides a mountain bike but am planning to get a scooter when I am there in a couple of weeks. I find it sad that so many people are afraid to try to live a little. How do you think all the locals learned to ride? They had to get on for the first time at some point. I think that anybody with a little common sense can handle it as long as you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing (which sadly most people don't do right here at home). I also think that my wife and I are going to get to see some places that many tourists do not. I will let you know how it turns out when we get back.

I've never ridden anything besides a mountain bike but am planning to get a scooter when I am there in a couple of weeks. I find it sad that so many people are afraid to try to live a little. How do you think all the locals learned to ride? They had to get on for the first time at some point. I think that anybody with a little common sense can handle it as long as you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing (which sadly most people don't do right here at home). I also think that my wife and I are going to get to see some places that many tourists do not. I will let you know how it turns out when we get back.

I agree mostly with what you said. We will be renting scooters in September during our stay in Bermuda. I've been riding motorcycles since the mid 1970's and feel quite comfortable on 2 wheels. But for those who are newbee's, I wouldn't recommend Bermuda as the place to learn.

They are not turned loose on the rodes with 10 minutes of "instructions", they are required to complete Project Ride and a series of tests.

Afarid to live a little? Some fear for their lives more than others.;):)

I find it sad that so many people are afraid to try to live a little. How do you think all the locals learned to ride?

I can't see what driving a scooter has to do with living a little. It is not sad, it is smart to be afraid. Even if you rent a scooter you should be afraid. As far as the locals... they are duh....local. They know the island. They know the roads.

Something else to consider. I just checked my travel accident policy for my upcoming bermuda trip, and motor bikes and scooters are excluded. Next time I'm going to check this before I buy policy. While I do think scooters are generally safe I'm not comfortable knowing injuries would not be covered.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You sure do want to have medical coverage. I have been on a bunch of cruises to Bermuda and on everyone I met passengers who were injured on scooters. I have seen casts, crutches, bad skin burns. I know someone who broke her pelvis in a scooter accident in Bermuda. I have seen a couple of accidents, and one near miss where a driver almost got creamed by a truck because they looked the wrong way. They looked the direction they would have looked if they were driving in the US. I am sure they all thought it was safe when they rented a scooter.....

It's a good thing there are people out there who are willing to take a risk now and again. People such as Juan Bermudez. Have a sense of adventure. Step outside your comfort zone once in awhile. You might end up somewhere unexpected. But this is just my humble opinion. You might end up in the hospital. See you there!

Hay CruiseWookiee, you said you filled up twice. Is that for the entire time you were there? I plan to ride from the dockyard to St. George and back. Do you think one tank will be sufficient?

Well technically... we filled up on day 7 and then topped it off before turning it in on day 10.

You could make that ride a couple times on one tank.

Edited by CruiseWookiee

Hi All. I am the OP and we returned from our cruise to Bermuda last week and had a great time on our scooter! We will rent one again next time we visit Bermuda; for us it was the best way to enjoy the island without the hassle of crowds, waiting, or worrying about a schedule. We spent time exploring the south shore beaches and visited a number of secluded spots where there were no other people-little pristine beaches we had all to ourselves. Loved it!

We rented from Oleander Cycles, which is walking distance from Heritage Wharf where the Dawn was docked. We arrived on Norwegian Dawn on a Sunday at 11 am and went to Oleander around noon. There was a long line because their computers were down so it took us almost an hour to go through the process of renting. This was the only negative part of our experience. Once we got our scooter, everything worked out perfectly. We rented a deluxe scooter for the two of us to ride together.

Tip: make your reservation online before you leave home, we saved about $30 with an online special, printed the reservation and brought it with us.

We paid the pre-pay gas fill through Oleander and never had to fill up with gas.

Parking was very convenient right near the ship.

We felt safe and had no negative experiences, but we were cautious and heeded all the good advice we had received (don't hug the curb, don't look back, keep up with the speed of traffic as much as possible, drive sober, avoid driving in the rain, wear shoes vs. flip flops, be cautious when making slow turns, etc.).

Happy to answer any other questions!

Happy to answer any other questions!

Thank you Lizzie.

We paid the pre-pay gas fill through Oleander and never had to fill up with gas.

How exactly does this work?

What was the average cost per day with taxes, etc? I think I read something about a $30 "waiver" fee. Read on Facebook at their own page that it was about 80 bucks or so for a day. Would this possibly be correct? Image it would be.

Hey Lizzie, can you tell me where about you found the quieter beaches? I have done some research already and noticed some between Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay. If you found some others how about a clue as to where they were? I plan on riding from Dockyard to St. George's for lunch and was gonna look around there too. Thanks.

Thank you Lizzie.

How exactly does this work?

I think we paid $10 in advance for the gas we used.

What was the average cost per day with taxes, etc? I think I read something about a $30 "waiver" fee. Read on Facebook at their own page that it was about 80 bucks or so for a day. Would this possibly be correct? Image it would be.

Definitely not as much as 80 bucks per day- Our online deal was $127 for a 3 day rental of a deluxe scooter. And yes, there was a $30 waiver fee on top of that. Just go to their web site oleandercycles

Hey Lizzie, can you tell me where about you found the quieter beaches? I have done some research already and noticed some between Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay. If you found some others how about a clue as to where they were? I plan on riding from Dockyard to St. George's for lunch and was gonna look around there too. Thanks.

We never rode as far as St. George's. We bought a day pass at Coco Reef Resort for the day for $49 per person, which included lunch. Coco Reef s next to Elbow Beach. When we left the resort We rode into Hamilton to shop and walk around. Then on the way back to the ship yard we stopped at several beaches on South Road. This worked well because returning to the dock yard you are on the left side of the road where the beaches are, which makes it easier because you don't have to turn through traffic to enter the parking lots. Our favorite little beach was at Warwick Long Bay. We parked at the far end of the beach, not in the main parking lot. Coming from Hamilton along South road, the entrance is just past the Fairmont South Hampton Golf club-we parked in what looks like a little state park and followed a path through the woods. To get to the beach you have to climb down a little cliff and the beach below is beautiful! There were several places like this that we stopped. Just pull in to the little parking areas and explore!

The other thing we did was rent a Boston Whaler boat from Sommerset Bridge Sports. We tooled around in the bay and beached the boat on tiny little secluded beaches-very cool!