Uniworld River Beatrice, Enchanting Danube: Thoughts, pictures, and menus

AttilaTheFun

• 1 month later...

Vienna, Day 2

Better late than never in updating this review? The second day in Vienna is really a half day - the ship sails around lunch time down the Danube towards Budapest. There is an optional afternoon tour of Bratislava, but we did not choose to go on this tour.

I highly recommend visiting Schonnbrunn Palace while you're in Vienna, if you can squeeze it in. On the morning of the second day in Vienna, Uniworld offers an option excursion to visit Schonnbrunn Palace. However, it's quite easy to visit on your own by taking the subway, which is clean, efficient, and cheap. The trip is 2 euros per person, one-way. Note that we had to use my debit card to buy our subway tickets from a machine, because it has a PIN tied to it. My "normal" credit cards didn't work because it requires a PIN to complete the transaction.

Posted below is a subway map that I suggest printing out and taking a copy of with you. The steps to reach Schonnbrunn Palace from the ship are:

1. Walk to Vorgartenstrasse station, red line U1 (on the map, it's after the part where the purple line crosses the red line). It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the ship and ask the Front Desk for directions if you feel unsure.
  2. Buy your fare and take the red line U1 towards Reumannplatz. Note that their subways mark the direction by indicating the last stop on the line, similar to DC's subway.
  3. Get off the train at Karlsplatz (5 stops) and transfer to the green line U4 in the direction towards Hutteldom.
  4. Get off the train at the Schonnbrunn station (6 stops) and you're there! Follow the signs to the entrance, which is about a 10 minute walk.

U-Bahn_Wien.png

The admission line can get a bit long, so go early in the morning. We didn't have a wait at all and bought our tickets on a kiosk machine. If I remember correctly, I was able to use my normal credit card for this.

Note that there are several ticket options when you visit. We chose the Grand Tour ticket, which includes all the rooms inside the palace with an audioguide tour for 14.5 euros per person. There is a shorter Imperial Tour that excludes the last few rooms, but you only save a few euros. We found the audioguide very informative and easy to follow.

Another reason to go very early - it gets crowded as the day goes on. We actually beat a few river cruise ship tours there, but there was still a bit of jostling with other tourists to see certain parts of the room.

Unfortunately, pictures are not allowed inside the palace, but you can take as many as you want of the grounds and the outside. Here are some pictures of the "front" side of the palace, although the back side looks the same.

Map of the palace and grounds

F54597B3-BE22-47C8-A3EE-BC8EE7493C8C.JPG

A bit dreary of a day, but it cleared up after the palace tour

1F2731C7-5929-43D4-8803-3F3679E99C9A.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

You can take horse carriages to... somewhere?

4F1060C6-BAB1-44F6-9D50-B6341302E838.JPG

The palace is so wide that it's very difficult to fit into one picture, unless you take one when you first enter the gates

IMG_0598.JPG

If you want a preview of the rooms you'll see in Schonnbrunn, this link is very helpful and provides some pictures of each room:

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/things-to-know/palace/tour-of-the-palace.html

Edited by AttilaTheFun

Vienna, Day 2 (cont.)

After the palace tour, we roamed the grounds for a while, which are surprisingly large and include other attractions, like a zoo (which they claim is the world's oldest zoo). We didn't really have time to see anything else though, so we just enjoyed exploring the grounds behind the palace.

Back side of the palace

9F36F930-28D0-4752-B943-D848A0E0A3D6.JPG

Expansive grounds

6A5DF153-42D4-4CA7-A911-E5BAE05D8C98.JPG

Gigantic fountain with larger-than-life statues

IMG_0639.JPG

Looking back at the palace from behind the fountain

121E54B4-BB62-4E82-A2F9-34EFA7C9D6B1.JPG

The Gloriette has a separate admission charge (although I'm not sure what's inside of it) and sits at the top of a large hill. It served as a pit stop in the 23rd season of The Amazing Race, after teams searched for a clue in the hedge maze of the palace. Trust me, those teams were out of breath after climbing this hill!

F23C4D26-EF00-4987-B9A1-89576950485B.JPG

A long and winding path up the hill

070B324A-31AE-45DF-BADB-D2B82B47FD0D.JPG

This link provides an excellent map of the grounds and descriptions of the attractions:

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/things-to-know/gardens/tour-through-the-park.html

Vienna, Day 2 (cont.)

Around lunch time, the River Beatrice started sailing down the Danube towards Budapest. I took a 3+ hour long nap as I was exhausted from all the recent sightseeing (tip: river cruises are tiring if you do all the included excursions!), but my sister enjoyed the scenery and took some nice pictures. I apologize that I can't tell you what any of these things are.

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

• 1 month later...
Fantastic review! We are currently planning a Christmas Market cruise and I think I may have to go with Uniworld. Tauck looks good as well. We have done a land tour to Costa Rica with them and they are top notch.

We loved the Rhine Christmas Markets with Uniworld on the SS Antoinette - their newest ship. I didn't get around to posting the pictures from that cruise yet and now it feels "out of season," but maybe I will post them later this year. Tauck looks very nice, but the price is even higher than Uniworld, which becomes higher than my budget :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to our May 2014 Uniworld river cruise. We are even more excited after reading this wonderful, informative review. We have taken many cruises but this is our first river cruise. You have answered many of my questions and loved all the pictures even though we will be on a different boat. Thanks for posting. Your review is so much more informative than the Uniworld website.

Thank you! I realize I never even finished this review with my Budapest pictures - will have to get to that one day! We also completed a Rhine Christmas Markets cruise last December, which is one of my favorite vacations to date and I have many pictures to post from that trip too!

• 1 month later...

It is really hard to believe that all your fantastic photographs were taken with an i-Phone. Thanks, Attila, and also please thank your Little Sister for her contributions to this wonderful, well-written review. I am on a Viking Var 7-day cruise November 2015, my first river cruise (a Long Ship). ;)

I will be a little spoiled after sailing the British Isles on the Crystal Symphony next August. I must have a balcony so I wish Uniworld had more modern ships with balconies.

On the Star Princess, in New Zealand, I sat on my balcony in the rain as we sailed the Fjords. I have spent hours reading every word of this thread, as well as enjoying the photos. Thanks again for the Fun. :D

Donna

I also wanted to add my thanks to you for this great review! It was great to travel with you, and the photos were great! The palace in Vienna reminded me a lot of Versailles! It looks like you had a great trip and I hope to do a similar river cruise in the future but next up is a Viking Rhine cruise for us. Thanks again!

I also wanted to add my thanks to you for this great review! It was great to travel with you, and the photos were great! The palace in Vienna reminded me a lot of Versailles! It looks like you had a great trip and I hope to do a similar river cruise in the future but next up is a Viking Rhine cruise for us. Thanks again!

Hi, Skier,

I thought the same thing. It looks a lot like Versailles. I hope to be able to see it next year on Viking Var. ;)

Glad to help!

Di Princess, Uniworld's newest ships (SS Antoinette, SS Catherine, upcoming SS Maria Theresa) all have convertable balconies available for the higher categories. The nice part about a river cruise ship is that you only have to go up 1-2 decks and the whole sun deck is your balcony, so we never felt like we were missing out, even in the "dungeon" stateroom category ;)

Cruisinskier, I also did a Rhine sailing on Uniworld last December and LOVED it - you are in for a treat! I might try to post some pictures/advice from that cruise later in the year, as I don't think many would be interested at looking at Christmas pictures now!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all of the pics & detailed info Atilla-the-Fun.

We cruised Burgundy & Provence last year. We had also asked for two entrees & 2 desserts on various evenings & it was not a problem.

Now I believe all wine & cocktails are included in the new all-inclusive cruises.

• 1 month later...
We loved the Rhine Christmas Markets with Uniworld on the SS Antoinette - their newest ship. I didn't get around to posting the pictures from that cruise yet and now it feels "out of season," but maybe I will post them later this year. Tauck looks very nice, but the price is even higher than Uniworld, which becomes higher than my budget :)

Please.

Awaiting your review of the Christmas Markets.

Your review is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Beatrice this August 2014 - first time river cruise, and your pictures, comments and advice have been invaluable!! Even to my need to bring Sweet-n-low! The pictures are lovely. We are starting in Budapest and ending at Passau.

I found your comments about Durnstein and Melk very helpful. We're not biking - don't think we could handle ALL that activity.

Do you have suggestions on Vienna and Salzburg as well?

Thanks, Sue

gadsue, we just took the included ship tour in both Salzburg. There was some free time to explore and walk around, plus you had to find your own lunch that day.

In Vienna, we took the included ship tour and then used the subway to get back into town. Our instructions on how to get to Schonbrunn Palace on your own are also included already in the review. Were you looking for other suggestions? My review is fairly detailed on what we covered :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked for Enchanting Danube in Oct. Wondering about which excursions to take, how much free time on the excursions, and recommendations for free time.

Also what is considered premium wine and beer ? We are wine drinkers, but not snobs, and wondering if good dry reds are included in all inclusive. What are the hours for the lounge, and can you have drinks brought to your cabin?

Thanks for any info. we really appreciate these forums!

This is a superb review! Thanks for posting. We just returned from our first river cruise, a 14 day Viking we booked last minute for a fantastic price. I was very curious about Uniworld and was disappointed I did not get to tour one. We walked into some other river boats including Tauck, Avalon, Grand Circle plus some German lines.

Uniworld menus seemed a bit broader than Viking.

Atilla,, you did a marvelous job outlining the little quirks in regard to river cruising. Your photos were terrific.

• 4 weeks later...

Attila, thank you for all the information about the Beatrice. We will be taking the Enchanted Danube from B-P in 2015 and you have answered many of my questions that I did not even know where floating around my head. Thank you again...great photos...

We are booked for Enchanting Danube in Oct. Wondering about which excursions to take, how much free time on the excursions, and recommendations for free time.

Also what is considered premium wine and beer ? We are wine drinkers, but not snobs, and wondering if good dry reds are included in all inclusive. What are the hours for the lounge, and can you have drinks brought to your cabin?

Thanks for any info. we really appreciate these forums!

If you pose specific questions, such as which excursion between two, that would be easier to advise.

I cannot comment on the quality of the drinks now that Uniworld has gone all-inclusive as they used to only have one beer, red wine, and white wine option at meals, but I didn't have any issues with any of them. From what I remember, they said the lounge would stay open as late as the passengers wanted (most turned in right after dinner, unless there were entertainers onboard) and I don't believe they will deliver anything to your room, unless you are in a suite and then have a butler.

This is a superb review! Thanks for posting. We just returned from our first river cruise, a 14 day Viking we booked last minute for a fantastic price. I was very curious about Uniworld and was disappointed I did not get to tour one. We walked into some other river boats including Tauck, Avalon, Grand Circle plus some German lines.

Uniworld menus seemed a bit broader than Viking.

Atilla,, you did a marvelous job outlining the little quirks in regard to river cruising. Your photos were terrific.

Attila, thank you for all the information about the Beatrice. We will be taking the Enchanted Danube from B-P in 2015 and you have answered many of my questions that I did not even know where floating around my head. Thank you again...great photos...

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to see my review was helpful :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on Salzburg and Vienna, we just got back from our cruise and winded up going to Linz which was really good and included an organic farm lunch and making of hard cider from apples and pears. It was a slightly shorter day which was fine for us. In Vienna we took the suggested tour.

All in all, your write=up was VERY helpful, thanks for all the details. Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have suggestions on Vienna and Salzburg as well?
Shame on me for being too late to help gadsue, but I'd strongly recommend a visit to the Prater (park and amusement park) in Vienna. We had a great time walking the park's paths, seeing all the active Viennese getting their exercise or just soaking up the sun, and then finishing up in the Schweizerhaus for dinner (and plenty of bier!).

After dinner, we walked through the amusement park section to see all the cheesy, but fun, rides. The large Ferris wheel is there in the park, but as I recall the tariff to ride it was 20 euros apiece or so - that was a pass for us.