Question about prepaid and onboard expenses for canceled cruise

First, I'm obviously grateful that everyone on Grandeur of the Seas is safe and that it's unfortunate that this situation had to occur. I'm glad that Royal Caribbean has handled the situation onboard well and has been fairly responsive with status updates to the rest of us at large.

That said, my mind sometimes wonders about random minutiae regarding out of pocket expenses. I hope that my wonderings don't offend.

I see that RCI is refunding the cruise fare and providing a Future Cruise Certificate for 100% of the cruise fare that was paid. Does that include taxes and fees, too?

What about expenses that were prepaid or otherwise purchased onboard that would have been otherwise expected to last the entire cruise, such as beverage or internet packages?

Do the crew still get their gratuities, or are they stiffed? I'm guessing that they're out of luck, but it'd be nice if RCI covered their loss.

Anyway, all this stuff is inconsequential to the souls onboard, and I'm glad that everyone is safe. I just got curious and thought I'd see whether anyone happens to know how they did in the past or might handle it this time.

As the refund for the current cruise would include everything (beverage packages as well) and would include the taxes and port charges, I would think that the future cruise compensation would include the same. When you do a booking, those charges are included, so I would expect that to be part of the compensation.

Royal would likely take care similarly of their crew and compensate them if they too return home, although many would likely remain on board I would think during the repair - they frequently do on refurbs as they assist in the work. Maybe the same with this, but that is a good question.

More importantly - as you mention, Marc - very glad that no one was injured and all will soon be safely home.

I'd bet the refund is everything they have paid. The Future Cruise would probably NOT include the taxes and fees though. Just guessing.

I would hope the crew would not suffer.

I'd bet the refund is everything they have paid. The Future Cruise would probably NOT include the taxes and fees though. Just guessing.

I would hope the crew would not suffer.

I may rethink my original thoughts - you could be right as that can vary by itinerary with the same stateroom costs.

We canceled a cruise in March, less than a week before sailing - RCCI refunded excursion fees and prepaid drink package charges to our credit card, sent pre paid gratuities to our travel agency - we got a refund for those from the agency. They also refunded port charges/taxes to the TA (although they were supposed to send them directly to us, according to the agency).

Archived