St. Petersburg....Bringing Back Vodka

If I go buy a nice bottle of Russian Vodka will it be confiscated by the Cruise Security when I return to the ship? I wouldn't mind bringing a bottle home as well as having some for the trip. Any thoughts?

Also any brands I should look for while shopping for Vodka? :cool:

Hi Hawaiian Eye!

We just returned from the June 4 Star Princess sailing, and I bought a bottle of Russian Standard Vodka, a good one from what I could tell. I brought it aboard the ship without a problem...

Happy Sailings!

Hi Hawaiian Eye!

We just returned from the June 4 Star Princess sailing, and I bought a bottle of Russian Standard Vodka, a good one from what I could tell. I brought it aboard the ship without a problem...

Happy Sailings!

Excellent.......;)

sounds to me like different ships have different policies on this; NCL in the Carribean would take it when you came back on board but gave it back when you got to your final port. From other posts, some didn't care. I think on the party tours they know where the profit center is and how to keep the captive market; on a more sedate crowd they might not care as much.

I brought a small bottle of vodka back in my tote bag and ship's security never commented (Celebrity). I wanted to bring back a bottle of what I had been told in advance was the very best Russian Vodka, called something like Russia's Best Vodka, or Russian Premium Vodka. I saw it in the Red October shop (think it had a blue label) but they only had large bottles and I knew I could only fit a small one in my luggage. I opted for a currant flavored vodka I bought in Lithuania. (The Eyewitness Guides said flavored vodkas are big in Russia.)

tartangal,

I think you're talking about the Russian Standard Vodka that I bought as well in the Red October shop. Was it about 15 Euros?? I looked earlier in another shop and it was 22 Euros there, so I felt like I was getting a good deal. (All the other vodkas in the RO shop were 5-7 Euros.) And I tasted it in the shop and it was excellent!!

Happy Sailings!

Great to see this thread. I have been doing some research on the vodka's (from Wine Spectator, etc) and also wondered about the ships' policies on bringing it onboard. We will be in St. Petersburg in late July.

Here are the better rated Russian vodka's. I have no idea how much they will cost or the general availablility:

Stolnchnaya

Staraya Moskva

Kremlyovskaya

Pravda

Salud! Mary

Well, I was intrigued by the vodka on offer in a crystal bottle shaped like a Kalashnikov rifle at the Gostyny Dvor complex on Nevsky pr., however, it was still there when I left (bought a bottle of the Russian Standard).

If you go on a private tour - either w/ Red October or Denrus or a private gude, have them take you into a typical russian supermarket. They're absolutely gorgeous and they sell very nice assortments of vodka's and chocolates, which make lovely gifts.

If you go on a private tour - either w/ Red October or Denrus or a private gude, have them take you into a typical russian supermarket. They're absolutely gorgeous and they sell very nice assortments of vodka's and chocolates, which make lovely gifts.

Jane, that is an excellent idea. We will be touring independently so we'll make sure we get to a supermarket.

Jane, that is an excellent idea. We will be touring independently so we'll make sure we get to a supermarket.

Tell your guide to take you one on the Nevsky Provsky (however, you spell that big street!). It's absolutely gorgeous! Huge hanging chandeliers, musuem quality paintings, high high ceilings - look like rooms in a palace!

I experienced these magnificent supermarkets when I spent a few weeks in Moscow and when we toured St. P w/ another couple, I asked our guide to make sure we visited one. Our travelling companions were amazed and thrilled that I suggested we shorten our time at a rose garden (they can see roses at home!) to visit the supermarket.

Jane

tartangal,

I think you're talking about the Russian Standard Vodka that I bought as well in the Red October shop. Was it about 15 Euros?? I looked earlier in another shop and it was 22 Euros there, so I felt like I was getting a good deal. (All the other vodkas in the RO shop were 5-7 Euros.) And I tasted it in the shop and it was excellent!!

Happy Sailings!

Sorry I don't recall the name exactly but I thad hought it had "best" or something similar in the name. I didn't look at the price. I am not a vodka drinker and didn't try the sample (wanted to bring some back as a gift). But if they offered a sample of the Russian Standard and it was more expensive, as you noted, it's probably the one. I had been told by someone who is a fequent traveler to St. Petersburg and has friends there that that brand was the best, so maybe that's why I recall the word, rather than that being part of the brand name.

Great to see this thread. I have been doing some research on the vodka's (from Wine Spectator, etc) and also wondered about the ships' policies on bringing it onboard. We will be in St. Petersburg in late July.

Here are the better rated Russian vodka's. I have no idea how much they will cost or the general availablility:

Stolnchnaya

Staraya Moskva

Kremlyovskaya

Pravda

Salud! Mary

I would also try to find vodka that isn't available in North America. For example in Canada, we can buy Stolichnaya, Kremlyovskaya and Pravda. When we go in August, I'm going to try to find a vodka that is not imported to North America and is unique to the area.

One of my favourites that is extremely hard to find is a vodka from Norway called Christiana. It is fabulous, IMHO much better then GG, and NOT available in most places. :mad:

Cheers,

Elin

How did you pay for your goods at the supermarket - Rubles or dollars?

Archived