Need Permission Letter to Travel with 1 Parent?

pcmom10

In 2007, I took my oldest son to Canada and had to get a notarized letter from my husband stating it was ok for me to take our son out of the country. I'm taking our 3 sons on a cruise without my husband (we're doing a couples cruise a few weeks later), do I need a notarized letter from him stating it's ok for me to take the boys since we will be out of the country?

I was reading about travel doc issues on another thread and that sparked my question above. Would hate to get to the port and have a problem.

In 2007, I took my oldest son to Canada and had to get a notarized letter from my husband stating it was ok for me to take our son out of the country. I'm taking our 3 sons on a cruise without my husband (we're doing a couples cruise a few weeks later), do I need a notarized letter from him stating it's ok for me to take the boys since we will be out of the country?

I was reading about travel doc issues on another thread and that sparked my question above. Would hate to get to the port and have a problem.

Yes, I'd make sure to have one for each son. I always get mine for my daughter (father and I are divorced). I have never been asked for it, but would hate to not have it, and be denied my vacation right at the airport.

my pvp told us recently that the letter is reccommended but not needed if you have primary custody. if you don't have primary custody you would need the letter.

Not sure I'd go by what a PVP says - they have been known to make mistakes. I'd go the extra mile, and get the letter. I would not want my vacation ruined over something so simple.

What Carnival requires and what homeland security may ask for are two different issues, being that it says you need the letter on both official sites, it is always better to have the note and not be asked, then to be asked and not have the note.

I alway have a notorized letter for my child and for my Grandkids, I just bring my custody papers that show I have full soul custody.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going to go ahead and get the letters for my kids just in case. Don't want anything to spoil our trip!

Very good idea. Much better to have it and not need it. It doesn't matter how many people tell you they didn't need a letter, it doesn't mean some governments don't require it. My DD will turn 18 next month and I'm very happy to never have to get that letter from my ex-husband again! :D

I've taken my daughter out of the country on multiple cruises without my husband and have never needed a notarized letter. In fact, we're doing a cruise from Canada together next month. All on Carnival.

How old is your DD? I took mine on an Alaska cruise two years ago when she was 16. I checked into Canada's requirements and if a child is under 16 years of age traveling with only one parent, the Canadian government requires a letter. When we crossed from Alaska into Canada we didn't have a problem because DD was 16, but I wouldn't chance it if she were younger. This isn't a cruise line requirement, it's the Canadian government. It has to do with International Child Abduction Laws.

What Carnival requires and what homeland security may ask for are two different issues, being that it says you need the letter on both official sites, it is always better to have the note and not be asked, then to be asked and not have the note.

Exactly.

Very good idea. Much better to have it and not need it. It doesn't matter how many people tell you they didn't need a letter, it doesn't mean some governments don't require it. My DD will turn 18 next month and I'm very happy to never have to get that letter from my ex-husband again! :D

I checked into Canada's requirements and if a child is under 16 years of age traveling with only one parent, the Canadian government requires a letter.

It was a Boy Scout trip when we went to Canada. Since I coordinated the trip, I made sure every boy had a letter from their parent(s) with them along with BC or Passport since this was a requirement from Canada. We weren't asked for them, but I wasn't about to get held up at the border for something like that.

This is what got me to thinking about me taking our kids on the cruise without my husband. But I just realized, I only need to get 2 since my oldest is 18 now :D

It was a Boy Scout trip when we went to Canada. Since I coordinated the trip, I made sure every boy had a letter from their parent(s) with them along with BC or Passport since this was a requirement from Canada. We weren't asked for them, but I wasn't about to get held up at the border for something like that.

This is what got me to thinking about me taking our kids on the cruise without my husband. But I just realized, I only need to get 2 since my oldest is 18 now :D

One down, two to go! :D I would hate to get to a border and have them start questioning and not have the letter to show them. Imagine how bad it could be if there were an alert at the time. I took DD to Ireland last year--when we went through Immigration in both London and Dublin, neither asked for a letter but in both cases they ran her passport through a scanner they didn't put mine through. They do pay attention. :p

Archived