Jewel Southern Caribbean Photo Trip Report May 25th!

We like the Windjammer. There, I said it out loud. We don't mind crowds, we are not foodies, we are not afraid of germs nor do we mind anything else. If you do not respect me anymore, I'll understand. It's better you found out now than later on when we have ki... what?!

Nevermind.

So off to WJ for lunch we went.

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

WJ has a very nice outdoor seating area too and it was always easy to find a table there.

We ate all our breakfasts (except on the last morning) and all our lunches on board (except once) in the WJ. I know, I know. But dear, it's not you, its' me. Us. Whatever.

Edited by Sinppu

It tells me that you are not a first time cruiser!;)

Ha ha!! Or a last time one :D

Looking forward to another one of your enjoyable reviews.:)

Thanks Bob, glad to have you!

I got to the cruise on the first page! Yessss.

We left our hotel 12.10 and after just a few minutes...

IMG_0722.JPG

There were not many people in the terminal, which was a blessing to us as someone in our family had forgotten to print out our SetSail passes and was on the verge of tears over this gigantic mistake and ready to go home with her...I mean, THEIR tail between the legs.

However, apparently all you get for not having the paperwork with you is either a :mad: or a :rolleyes: and the treatment of a silly rookie, who has never cruised before.

Then you sign a few papers and that's it. You still get to cruise. And that gets you a :)

Especially when you take the this step:

IMG_0720.JPG

I forgot to print off ours too. So relieved that they still let us on!

We are Windjammer people too and I miss it when we are not cruising.

I have to admit that my wife and I like WJ too. She's likes fruit and salad and they always have an abundance.

We went to find our cabin at around 1.15 pm.

We had a large oceanview cabin on deck 3.

IMG_0736.JPG

In the bag on the table are our two bottles of champagne we bought from the shop at the pier. Lowry asked them how many bottles can we take with us and without the blink of an eye they told us that two bottles but we can always come back for another two and another two...

IMG_0737.JPG

Can you tell we are not those people who have a hard time sleeping somewhere else than in their own bed?

IMG_0738.JPG

Lowry was very happy where he was and I went off to explore the ship. We've been on the Voyager and Oasis classes before and honestly I prefer ships that have the Promenade. Jewel was by far the most beautiful ship we've seen but if I got to choose, I'd want a Promenade.

Nice views from the deck.

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

The Centrum is both beautiful and does serve it's purpose well. You can sit up on the higher decks and hear all the music and activities going on on deck 4.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

My favourite, the Champagne Bar on deck 6.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

On deck 6 they also have the Schooner Bar and Safari Club.

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

Portofino's and Chops are located on both sides of the bar seen here.

IMG_0749.JPG

Schooner Bar and the pool tables were very popular, always plenty of people.

The Muster Drill was 5.30 pm. They had another later on for the late-comers.

Here's a good boy showing off he learned something :cool:

IMG_0779.JPG

Our stateroom attendant Sang probably thought he was going to have an easy week. "Oh they sleep like that, good. I will not need to change their sheets!"

IMG_0780.JPG

We managed to unpack and change clothes for our dinner which was in Portofino's that evening.

There were only a handful of other people which gave the staff plenty of time to converse and attend to us. It was nice and the food was GREAT.

SAM_0640.JPG

We had the Crostini per Due.

SAM_0644.JPG

The pesto bread was just schlurrrp... oh excuse me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.

SAM_0643.JPG

Oh my gosh sinnipu. I looked for you and Donna in the schooner bar the first afternoon. I guess I should have planned to have a way to know who you were huh. Sorry I didn't get to meet yall

I got there about 15 minutes late (my daughter had an "accident" with the cabin door and her big toe), and looked for you clott. There were two groups of people there, and I approached each of them asking "are you from Cruise Critic", and got blank stares and huh? lol

Hi Sinny!!! Great review, so far. I can't wait to read the rest. I'll be posting my review (without photos) soon.

I have a photo of you and Lowry together holding my pie box on St. Lucia!

PS: I also like the Windjammer. And, I like the blue/purple chips on Jet Blue.

Edited by DonnaK

Hmmm, I agree with you on the Promenade issue too.

I also agree with both of you! The promenade is more than just a "shopping mall", it's a huge entertainment venue. I prefer it to the Centrum, which I found to be too small, and very vertical. (I got dizzy looking down on it from the decks above.)

Also, things like the Captain's party and the top tier event were held in the Safari Club and just weren't as special as those events when they are held in the Promenade on ships that have one.

More Italian food:

SAM_0641.JPG

I had the Spiedino di Mare and Lowry had the Filetto di Manzo.

SAM_0647.JPG

And as can been seen here, you have to hold up the spear with your eye while your waiter slides the meat off it. It's a rare skill, really.

SAM_0648.JPG

SAM_0649.JPG

For dessert we had the Tiramisu and Dolcetti.

SAM_0651.JPG

SAM_0650.JPG

If you have a big sweet tooth (mine's more like a whole jaw) you'll love the Dolcetti. It was just.... just...wow. I should've given the WoW card to it.

I loved your previous reviews and your sense of humor. I know this review will be a good one.

Loving your review. We're sailing the other Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Jewel next year. Will be our first time on a Radiance class ship. Can't wait.

Why thank you both. You have excellent taste, if you don't mind me saying so ;)

Hi Sinny!!! Great review, so far. I can't wait to read the rest. I'll be posting my review (without photos) soon.

I have a photo of you and Lowry together holding my pie box on St. Lucia!

PS: I also like the Windjammer. And, I like the blue/purple chips on Jet Blue.

Hi Donna!! If you can, post the photo! I'd really like to see it :D

I meant to buy the glass of champagne for your daughter on the last evening at dinner, but our plans went seriously wrong. :(

I'll report what happened here later on. Sorry I missed it.

Looks great so far! We will be on Jewel a couple times down there

Thanks! Here's to hoping it'll look even better ;)

I'm loving your review! We sail on her in 26 days!

I've heard that the first night onboard on there is a discount at the specialty restaurants. Was that the case on the Jewel?

Edited by HappyHappy1

The ship sailed at 8.20 pm. There were a lot of people on deck and it's really something to see. San Juan looks great in the moonlight.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

Makes one feel a little festive. Ta-da-da-da-daa....

IMG_0793.JPG

We went up to the Vortex to have a drink. There were maybe three people besides us there so again the crew had a lot of time for us. We had my favourite drink, Key Lime Pie Martini (told you I have a sweet jaw).

The bartender took ages in making them but that was because he was trying to find pineapple juice but didn't have any. At the end he replaced it with orange juice and gave us a small discount. It didn't really even affect the taste.

IMG_0820.JPG

After the drinks we called it a night. We went to bed embarrassingly early through the whole vacation. In the Keys we were out like a light before 9.30 pm... we're actually older than we look. Like 95. Or maybe younger. Like 2.

I'll get back tomorrow with the photos and stories, everyone. Will gladly answer questions and accept compliments in the meanwhile though!! ;)

Edited by Sinppu

I'm loving your review! We sail on her in 26 days!

I've heard that the first night onboard on there is a discount at the specialty restaurants. Was that the case on the Jewel?

Hi Dawn, you'll have a great time. We did!

I'm sorry but I don't know if they give you a discount because I booked our dinner early and paid the $20 pp for it. So much for my illuminating skills ;)

It was almost empty so it might pay off to wait until you get on board and reserve it there.

Can anyone else answer Dawn?

Edited by Sinppu

Sinny, we are in both pictures of the schooner bar and I saw us from a distance in the windjammer picture so we were in close contact. My husband is the big guy my son is the one in a sun visor and I'm in the middle of them in your schooner picture

Hi Donna!! If you can, post the photo! I'd really like to see it :D

I meant to buy the glass of champagne for your daughter on the last evening at dinner, but our plans went seriously wrong. :(

I'll report what happened here later on. Sorry I missed it.

I don't know how to post the photo here, so I sent it to you on Facebook. Look in your "other" folder.