Hilton Rose Hall vs Irie Mon Beach Break

13Baseball13

I'm looking for a good all inclusive while we are in Falmouth. These two are similar in price- rose hall 94 with transportation through jamaica for a day and irie mon 89 with transportation through rccl. Any information to help me make a good decision would be appreciated! We are looking for a good beach with some good drinks and not overly crowded.

Everything that I have read about irie mon said the beach is very crowded, and I am going to avoid. Have you looked at the three Iberostar hotels? I think I am headed back to the Grand (adults only).

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking for a good all inclusive while we are in Falmouth. These two are similar in price- rose hall 94 with transportation through jamaica for a day and irie mon 89 with transportation through rccl. Any information to help me make a good decision would be appreciated! We are looking for a good beach with some good drinks and not overly crowded.

Iberostar seemed a bit pricey compared to the other options

Hilton Rose Hall - air conditioned bus round trip $15 + $79 resort fee

Iberostar - $40 taxi one-way for 1-4 passengers, $10 each additional.

Three levels of resort fees - $50/$75/$100 Beach/Suites/Grand. Same beachfront. Main difference are the rooms which you are not using. Other differences are restaurants. The lazy river is limited to the $75 & $100 price.

The RCI $139 excursion price is ridiculous.

Hilton & Iberostar are two similar large resorts along the same coast, fairly close to each other. About 25 minutes, west towards Montego Bay, from Falmouth.

Irie Mon is on the beach (not a resort) in Montego Bay on the strip close to Doctor's Cave beach. Only two hours at the beach; most of time spent on the bus. Montego Bay is about an hour from Falmouth.

I just researched since I have similar decision to make. Hilton Rose Hall is my choice because of the transportation costs.

We did Hilton Rose Hall when we were there last year and will do it when we go next year. The resort is wonderful, the lazy river and slides are great. There is a swim up bar in the lazy river. The buffet for lunch was very good. We spent the day on the lazy river but the beach looked wonderful also. The price is great and not overly crowded. Highly recommend it.

We are cruising next week on RCC Allure and stopping in Jamaica. Planning on taking tax to Rose Hall Suites Iberostar (the Beach sold out on RCC site). Is there a different buffet for day pass individuals as opposed to hotel guests? Also, if enjoying the resort only for the day, can you eat inside at one of the restaurants?

Hi,

I just got off the Freedom this week and this cruise we did the Hitlon Rose Hall through Jamaica for a Day and took a taxi by ourselves for our group of 11. Last cruise we did the Irie Mon through RCCL and used their transportation.

I enjoyed both trips, but the Hilton is better all around.

Irie Mon is on a public beach that RCCL rents out for the day and has an adequate buffet, watery drinks, organized activities and music over a loud speaker. The beach chairs are very close together and the trip back makes a 30 minute stop at a grocery store that we wished to avoid. Still, the kids had a great time.

The Hilton was ten times better on all fronts. It is an amazing value for the money and the kids, again, had a great time. The difference is the adults also had a great time.

Here's my trip advisor review of the Hilton:

“Amazing Value for the price!”

Reviewed July 2, 2013 NEW

Our family of 11 (with kids 8 - 16) spent one day at the Hilton Rose Hall through the Resort for a Day Company. We were in Jamaica on a cruise stop and wanted to spend the day at the beach. We paid $94/adult and $74/child. What a bargain!

Our cruise stopped at Falmouth, Jamaica and we took a taxi van to the Hitlon. Don't buy the Resort for a Day transfer, taxis are easier and you can come and go as you please. We arrived at 11:00 am and left at 3:00 pm. This was the perfect amount of time to spend, although you could come earlier and stay later if you wanted to.

Our day pass included: Full access to the beach, pools, Water Park with tube slide and lazy river, unlimited lunch & snacks to at the buffet, grill or sit-down restaurant, unlimited beverages like sodas and juices, unlimited house brand drinks like beer, wine, cocktails, liquor, tropical and frosty drinks, All beach lounge chairs and beach towels, Non-motorized water sports including snorkeling, windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, volleyball, aerobics, and tennis, Participation in the daily activity program, unlimited access at the internet cafe, Live daily entertainment, GRATUITIES INCLUDED and more.

Check in was fast and easy, it took less than five minutes for all 11 of us.

We took full advantage of all the offerings and got more than our money's worth. The kids spent hours at the beach and waterpark and loved it! The adults agreed that the jerk pork at the restaurant is not to be missed, it was wonderful, the grouper was good too. We thought the drinks were an amazing value; nothing was watered down and the kids frozen drinks were great! Included in the pass were the Jerk Chicken, Jamaican Beef Patty and Chicken stands. Yum!

The beach is great for kids, very safe. The resort was busy, but didn't feel crowded. The staf went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. Besides an ideal, pretty, spotlessly clean setting, the staff are what makes this a great day visit.

A special thank you to Ainsley who greeted us as soon as we stepped onto the sand and set up beach chairs and towels for us and to Fiona and Owen at the beach bar who make the best drinks and smoothies and are so nice and friendly!

This is a fantastic place for family groups or couples.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

• 2 weeks later...

@52marv...thanks alot for your detailed review, my spose and me will arrive falmouth in december and I decided to book the rose hilton for a day. Your post helps a lot :D

Edited by Dinotoll

Hi,

I just got off the Freedom this week and this cruise we did the Hitlon Rose Hall through Jamaica for a Day and took a taxi by ourselves for our group of 11. Last cruise we did the Irie Mon through RCCL and used their transportation.

Our cruise stopped at Falmouth, Jamaica and we took a taxi van to the Hitlon.

We will be in Jamaica on our next cruise in December and I'm trying to find something safe and appropriate for our family (with a 5 year old). We have booked with JFAD last December when we docked at Ocho Rios and we did the Sunset Grande. We enjoyed our day and the resort. So, I was thinking about checking out JFAD again.

When I looked at their website, it mentioned Hilton Rose Hall. But you said you went here and you docked at Falmouth. We will be docked at Montego Bay. Is it in between these ports? Just trying to clarify.

Also, do you have any pictures you could share?

mitsugirly - We have been to Hilton Rose Hall the past two summers. In June 2012 we docked in Montego Bay on the Carnival Magic. In June 2013 we docked at Falmouth on the Freedom of the Seas. Hilton Rose Hall is located between the two ports. The distance (time on the bus) seemed about the same but I know we saw Montego Bay signs as we drove toward the Hilton from Falmouth.

We loved our visit at the resort both times - adults and kids love the waterslides, lazy river, and swim-up bar. Both times we had lunch at the poolside restaurant but our waiter/waitress was willing to walk to the other restaurant and add jerk chicken and pork to our order. Yummy!

mitsugirly - We have been to Hilton Rose Hall the past two summers. In June 2012 we docked in Montego Bay on the Carnival Magic. In June 2013 we docked at Falmouth on the Freedom of the Seas. Hilton Rose Hall is located between the two ports. The distance (time on the bus) seemed about the same but I know we saw Montego Bay signs as we drove toward the Hilton from Falmouth.

We loved our visit at the resort both times - adults and kids love the waterslides, lazy river, and swim-up bar. Both times we had lunch at the poolside restaurant but our waiter/waitress was willing to walk to the other restaurant and add jerk chicken and pork to our order. Yummy!

Thanks for the info. Just a few questions if you don't mind.

1) How long did it take you to get there from Montego Bay?

2) I have read that you have to be 4' tall to be on the water slides (our daughter is not quite there yet) and was wondering will the lazy river/pools be enough? Do they have anything else there to do (water related like maybe falls or things that "squirt")?

3) How many pools do they have?

4) What are the grounds like?

5) I assume there is a beach right? How big is it and is there any snorkeling to be done from the beach area?

6) What all did they have on the menu?

Last but not least, do you have any pictures you could share?

Thanks in advance. :)

2) I have read that you have to be 4' tall to be on the water slides (our daughter is not quite there yet) and was wondering will the lazy river/pools be enough? Do they have anything else there to do (water related like maybe falls or things that "squirt")?

3) How many pools do they have?

4) What are the grounds like?

5) I assume there is a beach right? How big is it and is there any snorkeling to be done from the beach area?

6) What all did they have on the menu?

It's about 30 minutes from Montego Bay; 25 minutes from Falmouth

There is a 4' height requirement (because the water is 4' deep at the end of the slide)

There are two pools and the lazy river

Here is a link to another poster's pictures from Dec 2011.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31531313&postcount=3

It's about 30 minutes from Montego Bay; 25 minutes from Falmouth

There is a 4' height requirement (because the water is 4' deep at the end of the slide)

There are two pools and the lazy river

Here is a link to another poster's pictures from Dec 2011.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31531313&postcount=3

Thanks for the info and the terrific link to the pictures. Falmouth port looks really nice. I hope that Montego Bay looks that good. Last year when we docked at Ocho Rios, it wasn't anything like the normal "tourist port area" that most places have. It was really run down and nasty looking.

I really wish they would make exceptions on the slides. My 5 year old has been able to swim since she was 4 and can even dive down in the deep water to go after things, plus I know one of the slides you go down on a tube. This will be a hard decision. I am definitely going to want to play on the slides and I know she is going to have a fit if they won't let her. :(

Answers beside your questions

We have been to Montego Bay and Falmouth - Falmouth is a much nicer and newer port in terms of shops and such. Montego Bay was more of just a building you walked through when we were there last summer.

I would say around 30 minutes

2) I have read that you have to be 4' tall to be on the water slides (our daughter is not quite there yet) and was wondering will the lazy river/pools be enough? Do they have anything else there to do (water related like maybe falls or things that "squirt")?I did not see any squirt/water toys but the lazy river and pool in the slide area is lots of fun. Also, there are two slides. The "big" slide requires a tube and there is a worker stationed at the top. I bet he is checking the height limit, but not sure how strict. The other slide is actually a series of 3 smaller slides that does not require a tube. This is my favorite. You basically take small slides from lagoon area to lagoon area. There are no workers monitoring and I bet there is not a height limit on these. They are lots of fun and even my now 13 year old went down these over and over.

3) How many pools do they have?2 pools - one that is more of a quiet pool and one large pool with the slides, lazy river, and swim up bar

4) What are the grounds like?The grounds are beautiful as you can see in the pictures

5) I assume there is a beach right? How big is it and is there any snorkeling to be done from the beach area?The beach area is very small and we've never done more than stick our toes in the water on both visits. Too much fun in the pool area

6) What all did they have on the menu?If you do a search, it seems that someone has posted a photo of the menu at the pool bar area. We always sit down and order at a table and the server has always been willing to go to the other restaurant and add jerk pork and jerk chicken to meal which is amazing!

Answers beside your questions

We have been to Montego Bay and Falmouth - Falmouth is a much nicer and newer port in terms of shops and such. Montego Bay was more of just a building you walked through when we were there last summer.

Well yuck. I was hoping Montego Bay would be something like Falmouth.

Thanks for all of your answers to my questions. I really appreciate it.

I will have to see if I can locate the menu. I forgot this place was the one you have to order from instead of the buffet. Where there only certain times they were serving food? Or could you order at any time and as many plates as you want? I usually like the buffets because you can "see" what you are getting and can usually judge whether or not it's something you might like. When ordering, I seem to have the worse luck and usually have to order something different because I didn't like it.

We ordered multiple dishes, so I'm not sure that there is a limit. I think food is available maybe at 11 am?? And, there might actually be a buffet lunch right outside the hotel lobby.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. :)

• 8 months later...
Hi,

I enjoyed both trips, but the Hilton is better all around.

Irie Mon is on a public beach that RCCL rents out for the day and has an adequate buffet, watery drinks, organized activities and music over a loud speaker. The beach chairs are very close together and the trip back makes a 30 minute stop at a grocery store that we wished to avoid. Still, the kids had a great time.

The Hilton was ten times better on all fronts. It is an amazing value for the money and the kids, again, had a great time. The difference is the adults also had a great time.

Here's my trip advisor review of the Hilton:

“Amazing Value for the price!”

Reviewed July 2, 2013 NEW

Our family of 11 (with kids 8 - 16) spent one day at the Hilton Rose Hall through the Resort for a Day Company. We were in Jamaica on a cruise stop and wanted to spend the day at the beach. We paid $94/adult and $74/child. What a bargain!

Our cruise stopped at Falmouth, Jamaica and we took a taxi van to the Hitlon. Don't buy the Resort for a Day transfer, taxis are easier and you can come and go as you please. We arrived at 11:00 am and left at 3:00 pm. This was the perfect amount of time to spend, although you could come earlier and stay later if you wanted to.

Our day pass included: Full access to the beach, pools, Water Park with tube slide and lazy river, unlimited lunch & snacks to at the buffet, grill or sit-down restaurant, unlimited beverages like sodas and juices, unlimited house brand drinks like beer, wine, cocktails, liquor, tropical and frosty drinks, All beach lounge chairs and beach towels, Non-motorized water sports including snorkeling, windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, volleyball, aerobics, and tennis, Participation in the daily activity program, unlimited access at the internet cafe, Live daily entertainment, GRATUITIES INCLUDED and more.

Check in was fast and easy, it took less than five minutes for all 11 of us.

We took full advantage of all the offerings and got more than our money's worth. The kids spent hours at the beach and waterpark and loved it! The adults agreed that the jerk pork at the restaurant is not to be missed, it was wonderful, the grouper was good too. We thought the drinks were an amazing value; nothing was watered down and the kids frozen drinks were great! Included in the pass were the Jerk Chicken, Jamaican Beef Patty and Chicken stands. Yum!

The beach is great for kids, very safe. The resort was busy, but didn't feel crowded. The staf went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. Besides an ideal, pretty, spotlessly clean setting, the staff are what makes this a great day visit.

A special thank you to Ainsley who greeted us as soon as we stepped onto the sand and set up beach chairs and towels for us and to Fiona and Owen at the beach bar who make the best drinks and smoothies and are so nice and friendly!

This is a fantastic place for family groups or couples.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for this great info! Do you remember how much the taxi cost is?