Review of NCL Jewel to Alaska May 25-June 1, 2013

Aurora2143

Aurora - I finally found you! Been watching for you to post on the Alaska boards to hear how your trip was, but more importantly;) to hear how you made out with your hair issues. So glad you addressed that in your review and glad to hear your hair behaved itself! Yay!

Thanks so much for the review, I loved reading it and looking at all your photos. We too just returned from 17 days in AK (land only trip) and I must say we had spectacular weather the entire time (I personally think we brought it with us and all those folks in the Denali, Matanuska Glacier, and Homer area where we stayed should be thanking us:D!). It was truly the trip of a lifetime for us - and we're already planning our next trip back to the Great Land. So pleased all went well for you and your family. Thanks again for the review - great job!

Edited by Assateague Island Princes
spelling

Aurora - I finally found you! Been watching for you to post on the Alaska boards to hear how your trip was, but more importantly;) to hear how you made out with your hair issues. So glad you addressed that in your review and glad to hear your hair behaved itself! Yay!

Thanks so much for the review, I loved reading it and looking at all your photos. We too just returned from 17 days in AK (land only trip) and I must say we had spectacular weather the entire time (I personally think we brought it with us and all those folks in the Denali, Matanuska Glacier, and Homer area where we stayed should be thanking us:D!). It was truly the trip of a lifetime for us - and we're already planning our next trip back to the Great Land. So pleased all went well for you and your family. Thanks again for the review - great job!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip as well. Sounds like you had quite a vacation! Alaska is truly an amazing place!!

If you were following the hair thread, I posted on there as well. And yes, it behaved itself! LOL!

• 1 month later...
Day 5 – Skagway, AK

Arrived in port at 7am and didn’t have to meet with the driver to take us on the tour until 10am, so we had a leisurely breakfast at Cagney’s again. We all had the same thing. Frittata for me, eggs and sausage for DH and French toast for DS. I’m thinking we’ve obsessively become creatures of habit. LOL!

Headed off the ship and met up with Ashley of Ocean Rafts Alaska to take us to the other side of the port for our tour. As we were driving, he asked what else we had planned while in Skagway. I eagerly said that we wanted to eat lunch at the Skagway Fish Company for lunch and we’d appreciate it if he could give us directions on how to get there. His reply was, “It burned down last week.” Thinking he was joking, I just shrugged it off until he drove us by it and said, “there it is”.

I looked at my DH (who was really looking forward to eating King Crab on this trip) and said, “I’m sorry”. We discovered on this trip that Benadryl is no longer working for my shellfish allergy and seemed that my reactions were worse than before. We thought that maybe this was God’s way of telling me “NO MORE SHELLFISH!!!” Missed out on Tracy’s and insisted that we were going to have it at the Fish Company. Oh well…on to the rafting tour.

We got dressed in these jumpsuits that kept us warm and dry.

DSC01342_zps2339a2f0.jpg

No zoom for this photo. This is how close we got to the whales.

DSC01367_zpsa2f57cd6.jpg

If you look closely, it’s a new baby mountain goat with its mama. So precious, this was the highlight of the trip for me!

DSC01384_zpsf27d5453.jpg

Seals basking in the sun. We were so blessed with awesome weather everyday of this cruise!!

DSC01372_zps4c96ce0b.jpg

Awesome waterfall!!! Face is all puffy from eating shrimp the night before at the sushi bar. Fine, learned my lesson!!! No more shellfish.

Side note for the ladies: Keratin Express treatment done right before the cruise. I didn’t use any products in my hair and it stayed frizz-free, even through this rafting tour – even got misty in front of one of the waterfalls. DS was getting frustrated with me because he was sporting a puffy version of a James Dean hairdo, while mine stayed nice and smooth.

DSC01376_zps9bc80361.jpg

Gotta show off my handsome guys!

DSC01348_zps8302e63f.jpg

Ok... which Keratin Express treatment did you use? Your hair looks great but there are a lot of options online! Or was it a professional salon treatment?

Ok... which Keratin Express treatment did you use? Your hair looks great but there are a lot of options online! Or was it a professional salon treatment?

Thanks for the compliment! :)

It was done in a salon. I believe he used Coppola brand. I would highly recommend getting it done by a reputable salon. The first one I had done, the girl didn't know what she was doing and fried some parts of my hair by having the iron too high for color treated hair. The one I get done now is done by a man that certifies all Colorado stylists to do this treatment. Also according to him, the product between the full Brazilian and Express is the same. It's the length of time it's left on your hair. For the full treatment, at the salon it's left on your hair for about half an hour longer than the Express treatment and also with the full, you don't wash your hair for 3 days instead of the 24 hours with the Express.

If you decide to do this, take before and after pictures and post them as well as your experience on the thread titled, "Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair".

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment! :)

It was done in a salon. I believe he used Coppola brand. I would highly recommend getting it done by a reputable salon. The first one I had done, the girl didn't know what she was doing and fried some parts of my hair by having the iron too high for color treated hair. The one I get done now is done by a man that certifies all Colorado stylists to do this treatment. Also according to him, the product between the full Brazilian and Express is the same. It's the length of time it's left on your hair. For the full treatment, at the salon it's left on your hair for about half an hour longer than the Express treatment and also with the full, you don't wash your hair for 3 days instead of the 24 hours with the Express.

If you decide to do this, take before and after pictures and post them as well as your experience on the thread titled, "Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair".

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks I will check it out!

Another thanks for the review here. One question to add...

Quote "Ashley pointed at a blue little house looking restaurant about 2 blocks away and said they had best food in town"

Do you recall the name of this place in Skagway next to the burnt down place? I am always intersted in the TripAdvisor top rated places like Tracy's in Juneau, but I love local recommendations even more. Our Pearl cruise will be spending a LONG day in Skagway, and anything to help it along after hiking the area trails would be nice to know about.

-Duhg

Another thanks for the review here. One question to add...

Quote "Ashley pointed at a blue little house looking restaurant about 2 blocks away and said they had best food in town"

Do you recall the name of this place in Skagway next to the burnt down place? I am always intersted in the TripAdvisor top rated places like Tracy's in Juneau, but I love local recommendations even more. Our Pearl cruise will be spending a LONG day in Skagway, and anything to help it along after hiking the area trails would be nice to know about.

-Duhg

I just found it. It's called Stowaway Cafe. Here's the Tripadvisor link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60877-d406231-Reviews-Stowaway_Cafe-Skagway_Alaska.html

Enjoy!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...