Mediterranean cruise - Celebrity pricing?

spencersmama

I was all ready to pull the trigger on Reflection's October Med sailing, combining Celebrity Choice Air's $600 saving and TA's free-gratuities, until I read this post! Now I don't know if I should book or wait until final-payment!

To be honest, the current promotion is not a bad price. The $600 Choice Air credit (per cabin) makes it essentially $1250/pp for a balcony gaurantee for the 10-nt cruise. But it seems like $100/nt (or less) pricing can be had if I wait?! My biggest fear is that even if the cruise price goes down after final-payment, the airfare will be higher and negate any savings, as the airfare is very good right now ($1050 from San Francisco to Rome). This is my first trip to Europe so I have no idea what to expect in terms of airfare.

So what would do YOU do? Wait or book?

(I should say that there's only 2 of us, and we're not particular about cabin category/location :p)

That is a lot of money on both fronts!! Our spring Silhouette TA was $699 for guarantee balcony and $749 for a 1B. Our Chouceair return flight from Paris to SFO nonstop was $600. If it was me, I would wait. And BTW the airfare never changed from when we first looked in January til we finally booked it in April.

That is a lot of money on both fronts!! Our spring Silhouette TA was $699 for guarantee balcony and $749 for a 1B. Our Chouceair return flight from Paris to SFO nonstop was $600. If it was me, I would wait. And BTW the airfare never changed from when we first looked in January til we finally booked it in April.

I think once you see a deal you think is good valve book it

We were at $999 for A1 with a total of $450 obc, for the same cruise

Air fare was $407 Rome to Toronto, the fare did raise about $100 by the time we left

We have book the Equinox for the fall crossing back in March

1b, for $1150 with drink package and $75 obc, air fare is $420 with choice air

The trip is more that now without a drink package

Cathy are you watching any TA for next year ?

We like the ports for the Silhouette in April

I think once you see a deal you think is good valve book it

We were at $999 for A1 with a total of $450 obc, for the same cruise

Air fare was $407 Rome to Toronto, the fare did raise about $100 by the time we left

We have book the Equinox for the fall crossing back in March

1b, for $1150 with drink package and $75 obc, air fare is $420 with choice air

The trip is more that now without a drink package

Cathy are you watching any TA for next year ?

We like the ports for the Silhouette in April

I haven't looked, Mark. What are the ports? I don't know how any cruise could ever top the one we were one. I STILL can't find the words to adequately describe it to my friends and family--I just shake my head and say, "Wow!" ;) The closest I can come is that it was like two weeks at the best summer camp in the world!!!

I haven't looked, Mark. What are the ports? I don't know how any cruise could ever top the one we were one. I STILL can't find the words to adequately describe it to my friends and family--I just shake my head and say, "Wow!" ;) The closest I can come is that it was like two weeks at the best summer camp in the world!!!

That TA was great not because of the ports or ship but meeting great people like you , Eric, Julian , Harald , etc

I will pm the ports

In the current paradigm, cruise lines make a crap load of money off early bookers and probably lose money on last-minute customers. As early bookers increasingly learn how they are being screwed, more and more will wait until after final payment to book. Eventually ships would be 75%-80% empty within 10 weeks of sailing! This trend can't continue forever.

I think as more people become savvy about not booking early and cruise lines condition customers to book only after final payment, the cruise lines will be forced to either offer better pricing early and/or offer assurances they will honor price drops after final payment, all the way to the date of sailing. I'm skeptical about the latter.

I've been looking at Baltics for next year (any line). But, have been testing against the late booking prices I'm seeing for this year's cruises. I've decided to wait until after final payment - prices are sometimes half. Interesting though - it seemed Celebrity was doing the least amount of price drops for late bookings, so if I were dead set on Celebrity (I'm not - dates are more important) don't know if I would risk it. HAL seemed to really be doing a "Dutch Auction" for it's May/June Baltics.

I've been looking at Baltics for next year (any line). But, have been testing against the late booking prices I'm seeing for this year's cruises. I've decided to wait until after final payment - prices are sometimes half. Interesting though - it seemed Celebrity was doing the least amount of price drops for late bookings, so if I were dead set on Celebrity (I'm not - dates are more important) don't know if I would risk it. HAL seemed to really be doing a "Dutch Auction" for it's May/June Baltics.
What I think will be interesting is: what happens when more and more people wait to book after final payment? The cruise lines will have to sweat out near-empty ships up to 70 days prior to sailing. Would they start giving better (or even the best) deals 4-6 months out? Or maybe 70-120 days out? Or will they still wait for after final payment to have their giveaway sales? Or perhaps they will finally change, or stop altogether, the concept of final payment!? Or formally allow some people to get price drops after final payment (doubt this)?

I think the entire cruise booking, upgrades, payment and price adjustment paradigm needs a rethink because, for at least this year, early bookers are essentially subsidizing late bookers! And this paradigm only works so long as you have enough book-early customers paying full price to make the sailings profitable enough to later give away the rest of your inventory. When early bookers finally say enough is enough, then something will have to give!

What I think will be interesting is: what happens when more and more people wait to book after final payment? The cruise lines will have to sweat out near-empty ships up to 70 days prior to sailing. Would they start giving better (or even the best) deals 4-6 months out? Or maybe 70-120 days out? Or will they still wait for after final payment to have their giveaway sales? Or perhaps they will finally change, or stop altogether, the concept of final payment!? Or formally allow some people to get price drops after final payment (doubt this)?

I think the entire cruise booking, upgrades, payment and price adjustment paradigm needs a rethink because, for at least this year, early bookers are essentially subsidizing late bookers! And this paradigm only works so long as you have enough book-early customers paying full price to make the sailings profitable enough to later give away the rest of your inventory. When early bookers finally say enough is enough, then something will have to give!

You're right - the price differential does seem to be more pronounced this year. However, it's something that has been going on for the past few years, particularly for Europe, with the increased number of ships there during the season. And the cruise lines still continue to price high and drop.

Wish they would just start with a realistic price based on their past experience with the itinerary and date and increase or decrease modestly depending on bookings, with sporadic sales here and there.

What I think will be interesting is: what happens when more and more people wait to book after final payment?

<snip>

And this paradigm only works so long as you have enough book-early customers paying full price to make the sailings profitable enough to later give away the rest of your inventory. When early bookers finally say enough is enough, then something will have to give!

I don't think the number of early bookers will ever drop dramatically. There are too many of us who have to make our plans well in advance. We have to announce our autumn closing dates for our kennel on January 1st, because so many of our clients have to secure their vacation days well in advance.

Even if the majority started waiting until after final payment, don't you think the cruise lines would catch on? Don't you think all these promotions are their way of encouraging folks to book early?

Besides, there is a gambling aspect to waiting. Our RCI cruise has been sold out in every category except insides for several months now. We booked our hotel in Rome 11 months out, and it would be much higher had we waited, not to mention reserving the one room with my potentate balcony.

Waiting may work for some, but it's impossible for others. Anecdotal evidence from our clientele says only a tiny minority wait until after final payment. For some it's a matter of scheduling, for others it's a matter of getting exactly what we want, when we want it.

Besides, our first two Med cruises had significant price drops during the months before final payment. This year, on RCI, our junior suite climbed to $500pp more than when we booked.

I don't think the number of early bookers will ever drop dramatically. There are too many of us who have to make our plans well in advance. We have to announce our autumn closing dates for our kennel on January 1st, because so many of our clients have to secure their vacation days well in advance.

Even if the majority started waiting until after final payment, don't you think the cruise lines would catch on? Don't you think all these promotions are their way of encouraging folks to book early?

Besides, there is a gambling aspect to waiting. Our RCI cruise has been sold out in every category except insides for several months now. We booked our hotel in Rome 11 months out, and it would be much higher had we waited, not to mention reserving the one room with my potentate balcony.

Waiting may work for some, but it's impossible for others. Anecdotal evidence from our clientele says only a tiny minority wait until after final payment. For some it's a matter of scheduling, for others it's a matter of getting exactly what we want, when we want it.

Besides, our first two Med cruises had significant price drops during the months before final payment. This year, on RCI, our junior suite climbed to $500pp more than when we booked.

The cruise lines probably use the same type of load-management software that airlines use to manage their inventory and pricing. The key difference is that cruise lines allow their customers to book and cancel without penalty up to precisely 70 days prior to sailing. Thus no matter how many promos, sales or gimmicks they use, they are vulnerable to an unpredictable number cancellations right at the final payment date. Conversely, once the customer has paid, the cruise fare suddenly becomes partially to mostly to completely non-refundable (just as with most airfare). If the software is working perfectly, then rooms should sell consistently and prices should gradually go up even through final payment and right up to the day of sailing.

The problem that the cruise line load management seems to have gone seriously awry this year and way too many staterooms were unsold after final payment. Not sure if this is because of unexpected levels of cancellations at final payment, or just that insufficient numbers of people booked in advance.

At least for these past few months, it appears that a much lower percentage of people booked early or in advance. While the majority of people still booked in advance and obediently made their final payment for all the reasons you point out, an unusually large and growing minority of the customer base appear to now be booking after final payment.

And just to be clear, my late booking strategy isn't different from early booking. It just adds one more decision point. I can still book a cruise (or multiple cruises) months or years out. I still schedule days off months in advance. I still book my airfare and hotels when optimal--months out if needed. The key difference with my approach however, is that at final payment, I make a conscious decision as to whether to keep the existing booking or cancel/rebook the cruise based on pricing and sales trends. Even with airfare, hotels and other stuff in place, I am not afraid to cancel the cruise booking and wait. And if you carefully box your flights and travel dates around multiple cruise itineraries, you can increase your flexibility and lower your risks of not booking a cruise that fits your timeframe and budget. So the way I see it, if you pay attention and do your homework, there are really no major drawbacks to this approach.

In conclusion, I'm not convinced that the number of early bookers, or at least the number of passengers who book early and make final payment without canceling, will not decrease dramatically over time. If I am right and this approach becomes more commonplace creating a new trend, the cruise lines will have to change something in the way they fundamentally do business in the future.

While everything you say makes sense, it simply doesn't work for everyone. If I have a maximum of 14 days, it decreases the flexibility, as well as the number of cruises available in that time frame. The only way we're able to do Europe is with rewards flights. There's two "decision" points right there. And not everyone has the resources to tie up multiple deposits while waiting to make a decision. Shoot - we were able to book 11 months out only because of the TA's fronting most of the deposit.

Think of families running on a school schedule, sailing at peak times because that's the only time they can.

I've done a random sampling of Celebrity European cruises past final payment, and most of them had lower fares in January than now. (My cruise was $500pp less in January than now.) That's not a scientific study, but neither is yours. On what figures do you base your "growing minority"? Cruise Critic is not a controlled sampling of the cruising population. If it's true more people are booking later, it could be they're waiting for a promo.

I agree that the cruise lines ought to give incentives for booking early. That would keep prices lower for everybody. I tend to think these promos are going to bite them in the derriere.

While everything you say makes sense, it simply doesn't work for everyone. If I have a maximum of 14 days, it decreases the flexibility, as well as the number of cruises available in that time frame. The only way we're able to do Europe is with rewards flights. There's two "decision" points right there. And not everyone has the resources to tie up multiple deposits while waiting to make a decision. Shoot - we were able to book 11 months out only because of the TA's fronting most of the deposit.

Think of families running on a school schedule, sailing at peak times because that's the only time they can.

I've done a random sampling of Celebrity European cruises past final payment, and most of them had lower fares in January than now. (My cruise was $500pp less in January than now.) That's not a scientific study, but neither is yours. On what figures do you base your "growing minority"? Cruise Critic is not a controlled sampling of the cruising population. If it's true more people are booking later, it could be they're waiting for a promo.

I agree that the cruise lines ought to give incentives for booking early. That would keep prices lower for everybody. I tend to think these promos are going to bite them in the derriere.

I'm not saying or implying that my approach will work for everyone. But not to beat a dead horse, but you can do everything you say you need to do and still cancel your cruise and rebook at 70 days out! I am one of those families that must travel in the summer due to school schedules. So I have the same or similar constraints as everyone else.

The main difference though is that I am prepared to cancel that booking at final payment but many here are not ready to do that! I cancel and wait to rebook--that is the only difference. And all I'm saying is that, for many, it could benefit them if they followed suit. Obviously if you're not a risk-taker, so be it. But remember that the cruiselines know people will be scared to cancel and rebook later. If your pricing drops like a brick after final payment and the cruise line refuses your price drop request, please just don't say I didn't warn you, that's all! :)

I agree that there is no scientific study here--just a lot of individual opinions and interesting discussion. I can say definitively however that, because I have way too much time on my hands, I have personally been tracking pricing on numerous Med cruises for this summer for several months, and I can unequivocably say that just about every one of them has had a post-final payment price drop that was absolutely the low price for that sailing. Your random sampling is merely a snapshot in time--it doesn't show the low price point for each sailing. I however have been watching pricing on multiple sailings almost daily for many weeks, and almost without exception, a Cat X for every X Med sailing has bottomed around $85-$100/person/day at some point in its post final payment period. In fact, even Concierge and Aqua Class guarantees have often been bookable at the $100/person/day price point. And many of these people are getting their promos too. Nobody booking before final payment got pricing and promos like that!

Hello all,

I'm looking into booking a Med. cruise for the summer of 2014. As of right now, I am debating between a Celebrity or a Disney cruise. (I've read a lot of posts regarding the differences between X and Disney, so I feel pretty well informed about that. :) ) I'd like your opinion and advice about a couple of questions.

I am leaning toward the Celebrity cruise, because the itinerary is perfect for us. The dates are not ideal, but we could probably work it out. We are taking a Disney Alaskan cruise next month and I was originally planning on doing an onboard rebook for the Disney Med. cruise to get the 10% discount and onboard credit. When I factor in the price savings of rebooking onboard, the price of the Disney is less per night than the price of the Celebrity. However, I realize that Celebrity has sales and promotions that Disney doesn't have.

My main questions are- Does Celebrity have sales that occur at specific times of the year? I am subscribed to a few travel newsletters, so I know Celebrity had the 1,2,3 promotion this winter/spring for 2013 summer sailings. Is that an annual promotion? If I decide to book Celebrity and the price drops or they start a promotion, can I cancel the old reservations and rebook to get the discounts?

Our dates are limited. I'm trying to balance out saving $ on the cruise, getting a good deal on airfare for 5 people, and trying to get to our top destination spots.

Not related, but curious - does Celebrity give any discounts or OBC with onboard rebooking for future cruises?

Thanks for the help!

Wait for a sales special, like the 123.

I have personally been tracking pricing on numerous Med cruises for this summer for several months, and I can unequivocably say that just about every one of them has had a post-final payment price drop that was absolutely the low price for that sailing.

Do you mind posting those numbers?

Sorry I'm not one of those people who will let their kids be down the hall or on another floor. I guess the point is it might work for some people but not me.

This will actually be the first trip that my kids are alone in a non-adjoining cabin. The last cruise about a year and a half ago they started staying out later than I was awake. They would stay at the teen or tween club until it closed at 1 or 2. so, I had them wake me up when they got back. (I set my alarm for a half hour after curfew to make sure they did. When they woke me up, I turned it off.) Now, my son has his drivers license and by the time we go (hopefully) to the Med next year, he'll be a year away from leaving for college. I try to ease them into independence in small baby steps.

my random sampling of cruises that are now past final payment did indeed show a lower price point, usually in January.

No, I'm not willing to cancel and chance a beneficial rebooking. I get one vacation a year, and I want my ducks in a row. There's no way I'd been able to book MY hotel room even 130 days out, as I am now. There's no guarantee that I'd get my junior suite if I canceled and rebooked.

If European sellings are soft, I suspect it has more to with airfare than cruise fares. Even the most economical hotels, transportation, and excursions add significant amount to the trip cost.

Now, if I ever win the lottery or retire, you can bet I'll book last minute cruises. I'm a day's drive and a Motel 6 away from East Coast ports. Going to Europe during a two week window is a whole 'nut her story. Three years running, I've lucked into price drops and fortuitous timing.

my random sampling of cruises that are now past final payment did indeed show a lower price point, usually in January.

No, I'm not willing to cancel and chance a beneficial rebooking. I get one vacation a year, and I want my ducks in a row. There's no way I'd been able to book MY hotel room even 130 days out, as I am now. There's no guarantee that I'd get my junior suite if I canceled and rebooked.

If European sellings are soft, I suspect it has more to with airfare than cruise fares. Even the most economical hotels, transportation, and excursions add significant amount to the trip cost.

Now, if I ever win the lottery or retire, you can bet I'll book last minute cruises. I'm a day's drive and a Motel 6 away from East Coast ports. Going to Europe during a two week window is a whole 'nut her story. Three years running, I've lucked into price drops and fortuitous timing.

Again, to each his/her own. I'm not telling anyone what to do or to do something out of their comfort zone--just that, at least for this year, the best pricing and stateroom options are had well after final payment.

And I'm still not sure where you come up with a "sampling" that showed the lowest pricing achieved in January, but there hasn't been a single summer 2013 Med sailing that wasn't absolute dirt cheapest after final payment. I'd bet you can't show me anyone who booked in January who paid $85-$100/day/person for their regular verandah, CC or AC stateroom on their summer 2013 Med cruise.

Again, to each his/her own. I'm not telling anyone what to do or to do something out of their comfort zone--just that, at least for this year, the best pricing and stateroom options are had well after final payment.

And I'm still not sure where you come up with a "sampling" that showed the lowest pricing achieved in January, but there hasn't been a single summer 2013 Med sailing that wasn't absolute dirt cheapest after final payment. I'd bet you can't show me anyone who booked in January who paid $85-$100/day/person for their regular verandah, CC or AC stateroom on their summer 2013 Med cruise.

What you say may be true, but how many cruises were sold out before final payment. We booked a Black Sea and Greek Isles Cruise that was sold out a month ago with the cruise date of 25 Sept 13.

What you say may be true, but how many cruises were sold out before final payment. We booked a Black Sea and Greek Isles Cruise that was sold out a month ago with the cruise date of 25 Sept 13.

I think Terpnut's strategy applies to typical 7 to 12 days Med cruises in the summer for mainstream lines which aren't small ships such as Prinsendam, Pacific Princess or Ocean Princess and non-unique itinerary such as Black Seas. September is not summer.

[quote name=Terpnut;38688920

I think the entire cruise booking' date=' upgrades, payment and price adjustment paradigm needs a rethink because, for at least this year, early bookers are essentially subsidizing late bookers! And this paradigm only works so long as you have enough book-early customers paying full price to make the sailings profitable enough to later give away the rest of your inventory. When early bookers finally say enough is enough, then something will have to give![/quote]

I have been following this thread with interest. We booked the July 15 Infinity Iceland/Norway a week before final payment was due. There was a 123 Promo going at the time as well so we got gratuities and drink package. Of course the AquaClass rates have dropped significantly during the last month. The cabin would be approx. $1800 less for the 2 of us. Alas, at this point if we cancelled and rebooked there would be a %50 penalty and loss of the promo....so one has to grin and bear it. However, it does not make you feel very loyal to Celebrity.

We have booked a transatlantic for Nov. and the sky suite price has gone up considerably. It will be interesting to see if that price drops after final payment the beginning of Sept.

Not sure what Celebrity or my travel agent can do to make us feel better about this but as we know, there are many options in cruising and Celebrity disappointed me this time.

I have been following this thread with interest. We booked the July 15 Infinity Iceland/Norway a week before final payment was due. There was a 123 Promo going at the time as well so we got gratuities and drink package. Of course the AquaClass rates have dropped significantly during the last month. The cabin would be approx. $1800 less for the 2 of us. Alas, at this point if we cancelled and rebooked there would be a %50 penalty and loss of the promo....so one has to grin and bear it. However, it does not make you feel very loyal to Celebrity.

We have booked a transatlantic for Nov. and the sky suite price has gone up considerably. It will be interesting to see if that price drops after final payment the beginning of Sept.

Not sure what Celebrity or my travel agent can do to make us feel better about this but as we know, there are many options in cruising and Celebrity disappointed me this time.

As many know, I have been on a mission this summer to warn people to avoid precisely what happened to you. Based on my research, it was entirely foreseeable that prices for most European and other cruises would drop like a brick after final payment--essentially screwing anyone who booked prior to final payment. I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and totally agree that it leaves a very bitter taste for anyone who booked early. But alas, as you say, it's a lesson learned, right?

My only suggestion for you now is to keep watching prices and see if you can score one of the cheap suite guarantees for possibly a little more than your existing Aqua class price.

It's really interesting how most of us call anyone who books more than 70 days out to be an "early booker". While anyone who books after final payment, or less than 70 days prior to sailing, is "last-minute". Given this new pricing/booking paradigm, I honestly don't feel rushed or that there are significant drawbacks to booking "last-minute" because oftentimes the best airfare and hotel prices are available within that window anyhow! :)

As many know, I have been on a mission this summer to warn people to avoid precisely what happened to you. Based on my research, it was entirely foreseeable that prices for most European and other cruises would drop like a brick after final payment--essentially screwing anyone who booked prior to final payment. I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and totally agree that it leaves a very bitter taste for anyone who booked early. But alas, as you say, it's a lesson learned, right?

My only suggestion for you now is to keep watching prices and see if you can score one of the cheap suite guarantees for possibly a little more than your existing Aqua class price.

It's really interesting how most of us call anyone who books more than 70 days out to be an "early booker". While anyone who books after final payment, or less than 70 days prior to sailing, is "last-minute". Given this new pricing/booking paradigm, I honestly don't feel rushed or that there are significant drawbacks to booking "last-minute" because oftentimes the best airfare and hotel prices are available within that window anyhow! :)

I can not agree with you,

We did an April TA , book at Xmas time, $999cdn for a A1, with $450 of obc, airfare of $700 over 100 days out

In March we book Fall TA, $1150 cdn for 1b , $75 obc with drink package , I have yet to see a lower price , cheapest price that I know is $1150 us without the drink package

You have check price and then book at what you think is good value for you

Have a great day

Prices don't always drop dramatically- take a look at the October/November Caribbean sailings on Summit. I can't imagine it's going to go anywhere near what it opened at. 10/26 in particular is insane.

I figure, book at a price I think is reasonable, and go for upgrades later if available.

My strategy as of late has been to book an outside cabin that I will be satisfied with if I think it is a good price (or has a good promotion). I then watch like a hawk to try and score an upgrade either before or after final payment. Each and every time we either score a paid Aqua Class or a Concierge Class cabin upgrade for a fraction more than our original payment for the outside cabin. However....that being said....I've never attempted to do this with the drink package promotion attached - which is the case with our current booking - so we'll see what happens for our October med cruise. I have a feeling we're gonna be out of luck this time and not get any higher than a standard balcony - but even without an upgrade we'll still be happy with the outside cabin we've chosen and what we consider to be a GREAT rate with the beverage package included. The reality is === cruises are MUCH cheaper than they were 25 years ago...we paid more then for a 7 night caribbean cruise than we're paying for a 12 night med cruise with a drink package and onboard credit thrown in - so we've got nothing to complain about IMHO. :D

My strategy as of late has been to book an outside cabin that I will be satisfied with if I think it is a good price (or has a good promotion). I then watch like a hawk to try and score an upgrade either before or after final payment. Each and every time we either score a paid Aqua Class or a Concierge Class cabin upgrade for a fraction more than our original payment for the outside cabin. However....that being said....I've never attempted to do this with the drink package promotion attached - which is the case with our current booking - so we'll see what happens for our October med cruise. I have a feeling we're gonna be out of luck this time and not get any higher than a standard balcony - but even without an upgrade we'll still be happy with the outside cabin we've chosen and what we consider to be a GREAT rate with the beverage package included. The reality is === cruises are MUCH cheaper than they were 25 years ago...we paid more then for a 7 night caribbean cruise than we're paying for a 12 night med cruise with a drink package and onboard credit thrown in - so we've got nothing to complain about IMHO. :D
I agree that one must watch prices like a hawk. I also agree that you should book the best possible lowest category balcony early on. My one caution however is that if, after final payment, the prices of even higher categories drop significantly and below your original price, then you won't be able to get any of the upgrades. So unless you are certain that your price is at least in the ballpark of future prices, it's best to cancel and rebook. Sadly for many, this summer season has seen enormous price drops that preclude many from being able to leverage even upgrades.

As for the promos, you are correct that you will most likely have to give them up, but I can say from personal experience, especially with a good travel agent, you can have your cake and eat it to--i.e. you can get the lower price, upgrade and promos!). :)

I agree that one must watch prices like a hawk. I also agree that you should book the best possible lowest category balcony early on. My one caution however is that if, after final payment, the prices of even higher categories drop significantly and below your original price, then you won't be able to get any of the upgrades. So unless you are certain that your price is at least in the ballpark of future prices, it's best to cancel and rebook. Sadly for many, this summer season has seen enormous price drops that preclude many from being able to leverage even upgrades.

As for the promos, you are correct that you will most likely have to give them up, but I can say from personal experience, especially with a good travel agent, you can have your cake and eat it to--i.e. you can get the lower price, upgrade and promos!). :)

I agree completely - I only book if it's less than $100 pp per day - and that's why I usually snag an outside cabin at that rate and then can upgrade to a balcony or better from there. That way I'm not pricing myself above the sales (hopefully).

Archived