magnetic cards for safes?

rose524

I'll be taking my first Carnival cruise in July on the Legend.

I've been reading some posts here about the safes in the cabins, and how folks bring their own card with a magnetic strip (like an old credit card, etc.) to use for the safe.

Doesn't Carnival provide a card to open the safes with? I'm assuming they do, but it must not work very well if everyone seems to bring their own method of opening them! :confused:

Help! I want to be prepared!

Thanks. :)

You can use anything other than your sail & sign card.

If you do use your s&s card it will demagnetize for your use to get back into your room.

Use something like your grocery points card, or an old motel room key..

Anything with a magnetic strip.

But remember do not use your Sail and sign card....

:)

Wow. That's strange. Thanks for the info.

Is there a code that you put in as well as swiping the card? Or does the safe recognize your card, so that no one else can try to open your safe with their own card?

Thanks again everyone.

Wow. That's strange.
Why? :confused:
Is there a code that you put in as well as swiping the card?
No.
Or does the safe recognize your card, so that no one else can try to open your safe with their own card?
Correct. The safe may only be opened with the same card that originally locked it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose524

Wow. That's strange.

Why? :confused:

I thought it was strange, since the other ships and hotels I've ever been in usually have a code that you create and use to open the safe.

Be careful using another card, you may 'lock it up' ; that's just what we did ... We were on the Legend in May and brought our Costco card and our health club card (for both our safe and our son's safe). Well my husband tried the Costco card and disabled the safe. My son first used his credit card and it worked, then my husband used the health club card and disabled that safe too.

We wanted to drop our stuff off and put the valuables in the safes, go investigate the ship and head to lunch. Well, we had to wait to get the safes working again ... and you had to be there when they fixed it. The crew staff doing this was very busy with others also, but at least my husband gave him a nice tip. :)

We then each used our credit cards for the safes and had no problem at all ...

The S&S card has a "magnetic strip". But CCL recommends not using it for your safe

Yea, that's probably what you mean rose524.

But I would just bring an old credit card or a frequent flyer card. Anything with a magentic strip should work. But don't put your S&S card because it could erase your card.

I thought it was strange, since the other ships and hotels I've ever been in usually have a code that you create and use to open the safe.

Rose, the older ships DO use that method, like a keypad where you punch in four digits.

Keep in mind that you and your cabinmate must use the same card. It won't recognize two different cards. I use my debit card.

We have ONLY ever used our sail and sign cards (or in other hotels our room key, that also doubles as a resort charge)

and Never have we had a stitch of problems.

we just used the S&S card on the Valor in march, absolutely no problems.

I like the idea of using a walmart type gift card just so that you can hide it in the drawer or room and you don't have to have the exact S&S that closed it then.

but I've not read or been instructed NOT to use the S&S.

curious?

Yea, that's probably what you mean rose524.

But I would just bring an old credit card or a frequent flyer card. Anything with a magentic strip should work. But don't put your S&S card because it could erase your card.

i'm sorry i must've missed this "warning"? from ccl where did you see it? really? not being sarcastic
I believe it is in the printed instructions in the cabin on how to operate the safe.

The reason for not using your S&S as your safe key is more for added security than worry about "demagnetization" of your S&S. The thought behind it is that if you use your S&S as your safe key and should happen to "lose" your S&S card, if an unscrupulous person should "find" your card they now have access to both your cabin AND the safe within that cabin.

I am totally talking out my butt right now, cause we don;t embark for another 90+ days.... but my Dad got off the Miracle 2 weeks ago, and he said it was in the instructions on how to operate the safe (keep in mind, his VCR flashes 12:00 all the time at home, and his car clock only gets reset when I remember to do it, so technology is NOT his strongpoint at all...) so he asked the at the desk about it, and they told him not to use his sign and sail card, as then anyone who found a lost card could access the safe, and the master keys , used to get in to clean your room, MAY work in your safe if you used the sign and sail card as well.

I am bringing a gymboree gift card my kids got CHristmas.

Your cabin number is not on the sail and sign card. Never has been.

You loose it no one would know which room was yours unless they tried every door on the ship (not likely). If you loose it the pursers will make you a duplicate of the same strip. We have always used our S&S card since we know it's with us at all times. Never had a bit of trouble after 24 cruises.

If you use your own card and it should demagnitze then Carnival cannot duplicate that and will charge you a fee to open your safe ($25?).

They tell you a lot of things that many don't do. Like no chair saving, dress nicely on formal nights, no jumping or diving in the pools, wash hands after each bathroom use,no smoking in certain areas of the ship, only those with total carry off luggage may leave first call, be back to the ship when they tell you to, etc and the list goes on. Sometimes there so many rules and suggestions to follow I feel like I am in a camp instead of on vacation.

Your cabin number is not on the sail and sign card. Never has been.
True. Just like in any hotel with electronic keycards.

But finding out a specific cabin number would not be that difficult, if one were inclined to do so.

I do not know what ship you all are on but I have two old sail and sign cards in my hand at this minute with cabin numbers.

thanks saved me a search, i was thinking the cabin # was on the s&s.

and as far as losing the S&S card, i'd be more concerned about someone charging up a major drink tab than trying to get in my cabin, in the amont of time it would take me to report the loss & get the new card! The new card would have a entirely new code and the safe would have to be reset anyway.

maybe someone who sails real soon will look to see if its really a "warning" "suggestion" or "highly discouraged" to use the s&s cards. I find they are just more convient than anything else.

But............

I still like using a gift card just for simpilicty. and so my spouse or i could access the safe even if we personally weren't present with the s&S card that locked it! that can be such a pain!

wait isn't that a folio # and not the cabin #???????

Caper has small print telling you not to use your S&S card for the safe. The S&S card will deactivate and then you have to go to the pursers desk and get that fixed and then you have to wait for someone to come open the safe. The pursers desk people get really nasty about it. The maintenance people take their own sweet time coming to open the safe so you waste half a day.

sls

thanks saved me a search, i was thinking the cabin # was on the s&s.

and as far as losing the S&S card, i'd be more concerned about someone charging up a major drink tab than trying to get in my cabin, in the amont of time it would take me to report the loss & get the new card! The new card would have a entirely new code and the safe would have to be reset anyway.

maybe someone who sails real soon will look to see if its really a "warning" "suggestion" or "highly discouraged" to use the s&s cards. I find they are just more convient than anything else.

But............

I still like using a gift card just for simpilicty. and so my spouse or i could access the safe even if we personally weren't present with the s&S card that locked it! that can be such a pain!

wait isn't that a folio # and not the cabin #???????

Folio and cabin number, now my RCI sea pass does not have the cabin number on the card.

Archived