Change Will Do You Good? Breakaway to Gem...

psycomac

Been looking through the sailings today and our S6 is getting harder and harder to find. So I've been branching out, looking at other ships and taking into account everything we'd be getting, I'm starting to inch my way toward the Gem 9 day E. Caribbean in November and booking the OS (along with an inside for the chillins). The money we'll save on the soda package alone I think will be worth the slight uptick in price and the balcony (which is what I'm really wanting) in the OS on The Gem is much better than the one on The Breakaway.

Some cabin specific questions for those who have sailed these suites before. How windy do the balconies get? Since there's 2, is one less 'abusive' than the other? I'm thinking not only about eating but also my 4 year old getting blown over by wind lol. I noticed on a video that the forward facing balcony isn't really all that private (not a big deal really, I don't plan on doing anything out there but laying on a lounger) and it's enclosed by steel. I see the one on the side has plexiglass type enclosures but there also looks to be a little lip to sort of stand on/climb on. I'm thinking of my DD and her love of climbing. She's only 4 but tall for her age. How high is the railing on the side balcony?

I know there has been extensive discussion about the perks associated with the suites and I've read all the threads, including waldopepper's lovely list of suite perks according to category but there's just one thing that isn't exactly *specifically* addressed in that list of amenities. In the regular suites, if you drink anything from the minibar, there's a charge but in the OS and above, it's my understanding that all non-alcoholic drinks (mixers, juices, sodas, water, etc) it's unlimited and included in the price of the suite. Is that correct?

Also, the 'treats' the butler will deliver upon request (and keep replenished if you ask), what sorts of things besides the aforementioned fresh fruit bowl (with choice of fruit), canapes, sandwiches, chocolates etc? Chocolate covered strawberries I have seen mentioned but those under normal circumstances come with a fee attached. Are things like that (that normally have a fee associated with delivery) included in the OS and above room fee? When you ask to have something (like food) delivered to your room, is there such a thing as 'too much'? If I order chicken fingers for my DD and when they get there, low and behold she changes her mind and wants pizza, can I turn around and order that too? (Like a 4 year old has EVER changed their mind about what they want to eat, right? lol) Obviously we don't want to be wasteful but I also want to make sure everybody gets something to eat.

My 2 stepsons will be in an inside cabin (probably across the hall) and if we decide to eat in the room, there should be no problem having their meal delivered along with ours to eat together, correct?

Thanks in advance for any answers that may be forthcoming, oh and having never sailed forward (and everyone but me never having sailed at all), does the cabin get bumpy? (obviously this depends on the state of the water/weather but in general, if there are rough seas, will we be needing to order extra pillows to cushion our falls?)

Thanks again! :D

Been looking through the sailings today and our S6 is getting harder and harder to find. So I've been branching out, looking at other ships and taking into account everything we'd be getting, I'm starting to inch my way toward the Gem 9 day E. Caribbean in November and booking the OS (along with an inside for the chillins). The money we'll save on the soda package alone I think will be worth the slight uptick in price and the balcony (which is what I'm really wanting) in the OS on The Gem is much better than the one on The Breakaway.

Some cabin specific questions for those who have sailed these suites before. How windy do the balconies get? Since there's 2, is one less 'abusive' than the other? I'm thinking not only about eating but also my 4 year old getting blown over by wind lol. I noticed on a video that the forward facing balcony isn't really all that private (not a big deal really, I don't plan on doing anything out there but laying on a lounger) and it's enclosed by steel. I see the one on the side has plexiglass type enclosures but there also looks to be a little lip to sort of stand on/climb on. I'm thinking of my DD and her love of climbing. She's only 4 but tall for her age. How high is the railing on the side balcony?

I know there has been extensive discussion about the perks associated with the suites and I've read all the threads, including waldopepper's lovely list of suite perks according to category but there's just one thing that isn't exactly *specifically* addressed in that list of amenities. In the regular suites, if you drink anything from the minibar, there's a charge but in the OS and above, it's my understanding that all non-alcoholic drinks (mixers, juices, sodas, water, etc) it's unlimited and included in the price of the suite. Is that correct?

Also, the 'treats' the butler will deliver upon request (and keep replenished if you ask), what sorts of things besides the aforementioned fresh fruit bowl (with choice of fruit), canapes, sandwiches, chocolates etc? Chocolate covered strawberries I have seen mentioned but those under normal circumstances come with a fee attached. Are things like that (that normally have a fee associated with delivery) included in the OS and above room fee? When you ask to have something (like food) delivered to your room, is there such a thing as 'too much'? If I order chicken fingers for my DD and when they get there, low and behold she changes her mind and wants pizza, can I turn around and order that too? (Like a 4 year old has EVER changed their mind about what they want to eat, right? lol) Obviously we don't want to be wasteful but I also want to make sure everybody gets something to eat.

My 2 stepsons will be in an inside cabin (probably across the hall) and if we decide to eat in the room, there should be no problem having their meal delivered along with ours to eat together, correct?

Thanks in advance for any answers that may be forthcoming, oh and having never sailed forward (and everyone but me never having sailed at all), does the cabin get bumpy? (obviously this depends on the state of the water/weather but in general, if there are rough seas, will we be needing to order extra pillows to cushion our falls?)

Thanks again! :D

Hi,

Yes, the side balcony is less windy. As long as she does not climb on a chair or table she should be safe. I remember taking my 4 yo DD on Disney with all intentions of not letting her near any railings or balconies for a week.:rolleyes: She was a climber as well but she was good except I had to move the balcony chairs and tables so she could not make it to the railing.

As for how windy, remember it is still hurricane season. The ship could be rocking. The benefit of the OS, is one balcony is a hull style and a little more private. Just a note, deck 9 is more private than deck 10.

In the OS, you will get just about whatever treats you ask for if they are available. Sometimes, I have gotten VERY lucky and spoiled for the week with treats I love. On the first day, just tell your butler what your preferences are and you just may see them arrive.

When you order meals or snacks, there will be no issue ordering for the boys across the hall. You can order as much food as you wish, just be prepared to wait. It might be faster to run DD up to the bufett and let her pick a few things. However, our last Gem sailing we ordered lots of mac and cheese and chicken fingers from room service. We were also much closer to the buffet than you would be.

Hope this helps,

Cherie

Been looking through the sailings today and our S6 is getting harder and harder to find. So I've been branching out, looking at other ships and taking into account everything we'd be getting, I'm starting to inch my way toward the Gem 9 day E. Caribbean in November and booking the OS (along with an inside for the chillins).

You'll get a much better bang for your buck going this route, because you'll enjoy much better ports, and two more days onboard. If it's within the budget, you might want to consider booking the boys in the adjoining balcony cabin, instead of an inside across the hall. This way they'll have a door directly into the living room of the OS, making it much easier for you all to share the common space in the center. We did this last year and found it to be an absolutely ideal scenario. ;)

The forward balcony can definitely be windy if you are standing at the rail when underway, but if you're seated in the loungers it's remarkably windless because of the shielding. The side balconies are ideal in any weather because they are covered, and have the cove-wrap which cuts down a lot of wind as well. The rail on the side balconies is high enough that I really don't think you'll have an issue, but best to keep an eye on her.

In the regular suites, if you drink anything from the minibar, there's a charge but in the OS and above, it's my understanding that all non-alcoholic drinks (mixers, juices, sodas, water, etc) it's unlimited and included in the price of the suite. Is that correct?

Correct on all counts. Let the pre-cruise concierge know your selections for liquor, mixers, and sodas in advance, and all will be waiting for you when you board. Your butler will keep all the non-alcoholic beverages stocked daily.

No problem at all, but note that there are only four chairs around the dining table, so the little one will be eating on a lap.

It can get bumpy if the seas are rough, but then again any cabin on the ship can.

Thanks for the replies!! DD never sits still while eating at home so no chair for her prolly won't even be an issue lol and yah I looked into one of the connecting rooms on either side of deck 9 but neither is available....although it brought up an interesting question about upgrades...someone me tioned that they speculated they got one because someone *else* had a booking that involved their room so NCL moved them to accommodate that booking....I wonder if that would happen here? And with your recent experience booking pax into a non haven suite but getting suite perks onboard BA nalagh, I'm wondering if we could do the same since I'm booking and paying for both rooms under my name as well...

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks for the replies!! DD never sits still while eating at home so no chair for her prolly won't even be an issue lol and yah I looked into one of the connecting rooms on either side of deck 9 but neither is available....although it brought up an interesting question about upgrades...someone me tioned that they speculated they got one because someone *else* had a booking that involved their room so NCL moved them to accommodate that booking....I wonder if that would happen here? And with your recent experience booking pax into a non haven suite but getting suite perks onboard BA nalagh, I'm wondering if we could do the same since I'm booking and paying for both rooms under my name as well...

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I think the key to booking the second cabin in one name was the fact that we did not exceed the cabin capacity. The S6 holds 4, and we are 4. I did not try this with five as I do not think it would have worked. The S3 holds 2-4. It can not hurt to try!

Cherie

I think the key to booking the second cabin in one name was the fact that we did not exceed the cabin capacity. The S6 holds 4, and we are 4. I did not try this with five as I do not think it would have worked. The S3 holds 2-4. It can not hurt to try!

Cherie

Aha! I see. Because you could have fit in one suite without another booking, they allowed you to book 2 (giving them more money in the process lol) instead.

If a non-suite is listed (and booked) as a connecting cabin to a Haven suite, how do they work it then? Would they extend the suite status to the occupants of the non-suite cabin under that circumstance? (waldospepper you said you'd booked a connecting on that category, what was your experience?) Anybody else done that and have information?

Thanks again! :)

One little correction to an answer above, nothing in the mini bar is free. No soda, alcohol or candy. Have it taken away or if someone gets in it, you pay.

The butler will give you a supply of the type mix or soda's you ask for to go with your booze and once a day replace what you use.

Anywhere else on the ship, you will pay for soda. When you said you would save the price of the soda package I assume you meant because you would go to your room and retrieve a soda for one of the kids if they want one?

One little correction to an answer above, nothing in the mini bar is free. No soda, alcohol or candy. Have it taken away or if someone gets in it, you pay.

The butler will give you a supply of the type mix or soda's you ask for to go with your booze and once a day replace what you use.

Anywhere else on the ship, you will pay for soda. When you said you would save the price of the soda package I assume you meant because you would go to your room and retrieve a soda for one of the kids if they want one?

Yes, I know that the mini bar is charged but if we request they clean and fill with what we want, then replenishment of *that* is free and unlimited for the OS and above. And yes, the kids will get their soda from our room, not wandering the ship lol.

Aha! I see. Because you could have fit in one suite without another booking, they allowed you to book 2 (giving them more money in the process lol) instead.

If a non-suite is listed (and booked) as a connecting cabin to a Haven suite, how do they work it then? Would they extend the suite status to the occupants of the non-suite cabin under that circumstance? (waldospepper you said you'd booked a connecting on that category, what was your experience?) Anybody else done that and have information?

Thanks again! :)

Although full suite perks were NOT extended to my son and future DIL when they were in the adjoining balcony, they were permitted to board with us, and to dine at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch with us. They were absolutely NOT provided with Haven access. Also, it was made very clear to me at the time, that the Cagney's perk was extended to them as a courtesy to me, and because the number of suite guests onboard that particular week was nowhere near total capacity, so there was room for them. We were tremendously grateful for that gracious accommodation, but I certainly cannot say for sure whether or not it would be extended in all circumstances (and would venture to say it probably would not). Try not to get your hopes up too high regarding that particular scenario. ;)

Although full suite perks were NOT extended to my son and future DIL when they were in the adjoining balcony, they were permitted to board with us, and to dine at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch with us. They were absolutely NOT provided with Haven access. Also, it was made very clear to me at the time, that the Cagney's perk was extended to them as a courtesy to me, and because the number of suite guests onboard that particular week was nowhere near total capacity, so there was room for them. We were tremendously grateful for that gracious accommodation, but I certainly cannot say for sure whether or not it would be extended in all circumstances (and would venture to say it probably would not). Try not to get your hopes up too high regarding that particular scenario. ;)

I've been thinking all along that my SS's would not be getting Haven perks. I called and spoke with someone at NCL last week and they assured me that booking the rooms with everybody getting the keys/cabins/privs they were supposed to would not be an issue (both SS's are under 21) but that they'd be able to board (and would in fact have to) with us at priority boarding. I just wish that they'd treat small children (preschool age and under) as not really taking up space with regard to how many people a room will 'sleep' because honestly DD cold fall asleep in a chair and be comfortable and sleep like a rock lol... plus she'll probably end up crawling into bed with me and DH anyway lol. They're honestly just pleased as punch to be able to go at all.

Oh! that reminds me though, I know they'll be able to embark with us but as suite guests we have priority tender also. Would they be included in that as well or will we need to wait and debark at ports non-priority? (No, I'm not trying to abuse the system or skirt procedures I'm genuinely curious about how that works and if they can't do priority then we will wait)

Oh! that reminds me though, I know they'll be able to embark with us but as suite guests we have priority tender also. Would they be included in that as well or will we need to wait and debark at ports non-priority? (No, I'm not trying to abuse the system or skirt procedures I'm genuinely curious about how that works and if they can't do priority then we will wait)

Chances are the Concierge will extend the priority tendering and disembarkation to them. Not a guarantee, but it's likely.

When you do eventually book, be sure to have your reservations linked. In situations such as this, that linking can be invaluable. ;)

Chances are the Concierge will extend the priority tendering and disembarkation to them. Not a guarantee, but it's likely.

When you do eventually book, be sure to have your reservations linked. In situations such as this, that linking can be invaluable. ;)

If I'm understanding the booking process correctly, they'll have to be because it'll be one folio and I'm paying for both on the same card.

I have stayed in the port side OS on deck nine (9504?)on the Gem and it was great. We were travelling with our twin boys age 13 at the time and i considered booking the adjoining balcony for them and was told unequivocally that they wouldn't have any of the suite benefits. it then made more sense to have them on a rollaway and in the sofa bed just so we could use the full perks. Of course the concierge is the one who decides who gets what, so you might have better luck. It doesn't seem to matter that I had taken or booked 7 cruises that year with NCL, on another sailiing I heard a first timer got their non-suite family into Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, so honestly, I don't know what their rationale is.

We had one really rough night, and because we were forward, we felt the motion like I'd never experienced before. Our free bottles of booze went flying off of the shelves and smashed on the floor, the it was a very scary night. I'd never seen seas like that, and hope I never will again. The front balcony of the door is a thick steel and in bad weather, it is shut tightly and they will come and secure your furniture. Thankfully the rest of our trip was smooth.

As mentioned the forward balcony is fine when you are lying down, but too windy for standing up while underway. The side balcony is good anytime.

With those forward cabins, you need to keep your curtains closed at night, or the light from your stateroom will hinder the visability of the bridge.

I love the Gem, the staff are great and I think the 9 day would be a great itinerary.

Happy Cruising!

I have stayed in the port side OS on deck nine (9504?)on the Gem and it was great. We were travelling with our twin boys age 13 at the time and i considered booking the adjoining balcony for them and was told unequivocally that they wouldn't have any of the suite benefits. it then made more sense to have them on a rollaway and in the sofa bed just so we could use the full perks. Of course the concierge is the one who decides who gets what, so you might have better luck. It doesn't seem to matter that I had taken or booked 7 cruises that year with NCL, on another sailiing I heard a first timer got their non-suite family into Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, so honestly, I don't know what their rationale is.

We had one really rough night, and because we were forward, we felt the motion like I'd never experienced before. Our free bottles of booze went flying off of the shelves and smashed on the floor, the it was a very scary night. I'd never seen seas like that, and hope I never will again. The front balcony of the door is a thick steel and in bad weather, it is shut tightly and they will come and secure your furniture. Thankfully the rest of our trip was smooth.

As mentioned the forward balcony is fine when you are lying down, but too windy for standing up while underway. The side balcony is good anytime.

With those forward cabins, you need to keep your curtains closed at night, or the light from your stateroom will hinder the visability of the bridge.

I love the Gem, the staff are great and I think the 9 day would be a great itinerary.

Happy Cruising!

That's the cabin that's still available on the 2 dates that I'm looking at and it's also the one with the most video coverage. I just wish they'd look at my 4 year old DD as the lack of space hog that she is because the 5 of us would be just fine in that cabin but it is what it is lol. The SS's will be in a cabin across the hall and be welcome to come and go in our cabin as they please although being 19 and 20, I doubt they'll spend much time doing anything but topside activities lol. They've promised to watch their sister at least one night so DH and I can have a date night (which I'm uber excited about! Dinner and a show!!! woohoo!). Really looking forward to taking advantage of the comedy show that night, DH isn't much for 'show' shows so I know we're not going to be doing Rock of Ages or anything like that which is honestly fine with me, I could take them or leave them. It'll just be nice to have some couples time and still get in some high quality family time too.

DH and I were talking about excursions today, he was curious about the change in itinerary and the ports involved and it raised a point that should have been obvious to me but that for some reason I didn't think of until it was staring me in the face. DD doesn't *have* to come with us on every single outing because the kids club is open on port days, right? We were wanting to book some more interesting excursions but the time commitment was a serious consideration because anything more than about 4 hours and we're skirting meltdown territory.

Has anybody left their children in the (capable) hands of the kids program while they went ashore for a tour? How is that handled? Do they give you some sort of way to communicate should an emergency arise? Do they not allow you to leave your little ones on the ship? I honestly have no idea because like I said, I didn't even think of it until tonight. If they *do* let you leave them with the program, and for some reason you need to get back to the ship ASAP, how would that be handled?

I'll ask this question on the family board once we book if nobody has any first hand experience on the subject but since the thread was already here, I figured might as well throw it out there.

Next I'm going to have to figure out what the heck we're gonna do at 4 ports! lol:p

She can go to the kids' club when you're in port, but there's a fee (it was $5/hour - I think - but that was a few years ago) and they don't have any activities planned like they do on sea days. It's just the kids in a room with supervision.

The number of people allowed per cabin is due to lifeboat capacity, not due to sleeping space, so that's why the limit is strict. You might get the priority tendering/disembarkation for the other cabin. You probably won't be able to bring them to Cagney's - but you can ask the butler to serve breakfast/lunch in your room for everyone.

Has anybody left their children in the (capable) hands of the kids program while they went ashore for a tour? How is that handled? Do they give you some sort of way to communicate should an emergency arise? Do they not allow you to leave your little ones on the ship? I honestly have no idea because like I said, I didn't even think of it until tonight. If they *do* let you leave them with the program, and for some reason you need to get back to the ship ASAP, how would that be handled?

I've never done this, and honestly, I wouldn't. God forbid something happens and you don't make it back to the ship. Chances are, of course, that nothing would happen and she would be fine, but I just wouldn't do it. If one of your SSs were staying behind, that would be a different story.

She can go to the kids' club when you're in port, but there's a fee (it was $5/hour - I think - but that was a few years ago) and they don't have any activities planned like they do on sea days. It's just the kids in a room with supervision.

The number of people allowed per cabin is due to lifeboat capacity, not due to sleeping space, so that's why the limit is strict. You might get the priority tendering/disembarkation for the other cabin. You probably won't be able to bring them to Cagney's - but you can ask the butler to serve breakfast/lunch in your room for everyone.

Hmm...I'm still torn. It's nice to know the option is there but It's also going to be very stressful. Maybe a non-tender port...maybe. Good point about lifeboat capacity, I hadn't thought of that (who thinks about the ship sinking? lol) I don't expect to be able to get them into Cagney's for breakfast/lunch but yes, I'm going to have the butler bring them their meals to our room when we eat there.

I've never done this, and honestly, I wouldn't. God forbid something happens and you don't make it back to the ship. Chances are, of course, that nothing would happen and she would be fine, but I just wouldn't do it. If one of your SSs were staying behind, that would be a different story.

The only way I could see doing it would be if it was a non-tender port. Then it would be the same as being at home, leaving her with a babysitter and going out. But having the ship be a tender there's just too many things that could (and probably would) get in the way of being able to get back to the ship. Plus, how do they communicate with you if you *do* leave them in the kid's club and go ashore? At home we have our phones but in another country when one end of the line is on a ship and the other is God knows where (it's not like we can leave the number for the restaurant on the fridge lol)...I just don't know...

Archived