Rollaway Beds

Has anyone ever requested a rollaway bed for a cabin with 2 beds? My teenage son, cousin and 12-year-old brother in law will be sharing a room on the new streeeetched Enchantment of the Seas next June. I couldn't book a quad room for 3 people. Then again, the situation is there are 4 adults and 4 teenagers (one being a girl). The TA suggested to put one boy and girl together in the cabin for paperwork purposes and then have the boy stay in the room with my son and brother in law after getting a rollaway bed. TA suggested that as well, she said it would be tight but it will go. What does my fellow cruise critic friends have to say about this?

I have been trying to get the answer to the very same question! We have booked a GS with an adjoining D1 balcony stateroom. The D1 cabin does not have a sofa bed or a bed that pulls down. It only sleeps two. This room is for me and whoever I bring on the cruise. I'd love to bring two friends but I am confused about whether we can put three people in our room.

I've heard about rollaway beds, but that they are limited. We could bring an air mattress. The problem is a) if we can book three people in such a room and b) if there will be enough room. So far I've emailed RCCL twice and they have not yet given me an answer.

So, whoever answers this question for the OP would be helping me out as well!

That's how I described it to the concierge on NCL's Majesty. No kidding folks. This thing had a hollow place in the middle like you wouldn't believe! I didn't get ugly or anything. It was very obvious that it was bad. They brought a new mattress to put on top of the old one. By day they would stand it up behind the sofa.

Problem solved.

I just (finally) got an email for RCCL about the delimma of three persons in a room for two. They said you cannot book three people in such a room, period. The OP mentioned booking the other person in another room, but in my situation I don't know if this is possible, because we already have four people booked in the adjoining Grand Suite. Is it possible to book five people to a Grand Suite? I really don't think this is going to be feasible for me...just wanted to update since I had posted about it before.

I think, if you are going to do this arrangement, you should definitely bring an air mattress just in case a rollaway bed is not available. It might be more comfortable anyhow, though I don't know about the space thing.

Our family cruises at Christmas every year. I have a 14 year old girl and a 17 year old boy. The room steward always brings me in a rollaway bed. I usually put it inbetween the couch and the 2 beds that are put together. We have done this in a Junion Suite and a D1 catagory no problem.

Our family cruises at Christmas every year. I have a 14 year old girl and a 17 year old boy. The room steward always brings me in a rollaway bed. I usually put it inbetween the couch and the 2 beds that are put together. We have done this in a Junion Suite and a D1 catagory no problem.

I tell you, having one teenage girl in the bunch kind of throws things out of wack. She may end up getting stuck with staying in the room with her DB afterall. I can't imagine a rollaway bed being in the room with two beds. We're all staying on Deck 3 (the new part that's been added into Enchantment of the Seas:) ) - Interior.

Would RCI allow passengers to bring air mattresses onboard?

Would RCI allow passengers to bring air mattresses onboard?

I think so because I have read on other threads that people have done it, though I don't know if the room steward would make it up for you.

This is irritating because I just got that email saying you can't book three people in a D1 room. Did your room have a pull-down bed or a sofa bed that you just didn't want to use? Because I guess that way you are allowed to put a third person. I am just confused because I was just told I couldn't do this exact thing. :cool:

Thankfully, we just transferred our reservations to a travel agent, so we might get a little more assistance in this area.

No pull down bed, bust a sofa bed. My husband and I do not like the sofa bed and would not put my daughter and son in the same bed. That is why we have a cot brought in. No problem on any of our cruises. And that was in a D-1 room.

I think so because I have read on other threads that people have done it, though I don't know if the room steward would make it up for you.

This is irritating because I just got that email saying you can't book three people in a D1 room. Did your room have a pull-down bed or a sofa bed that you just didn't want to use? Because I guess that way you are allowed to put a third person. I am just confused because I was just told I couldn't do this exact thing. :cool:

Some D1/2/3's can accommodate up to 4 some only 2. You need to use their key while looking at available cabins:

Stateroom with sofa bed.

Stateroom has third Pullman bed available.

Stateroom has third and fourth Pullman beds available.

Connecting staterooms.

Indicates accessible staterooms.

Stateroom with sofa bed and third Pullman bed available.

Sorry the "codes" didn't copy, here's a link to RCI's website where you can see the key.

Hope that helps!

###

Some D1/2/3's can accommodate up to 4 some only 2. You need to use their key while looking at available cabins:

Stateroom with sofa bed.

Stateroom has third Pullman bed available.

Stateroom has third and fourth Pullman beds available.

Connecting staterooms.

Indicates accessible staterooms.

Stateroom with sofa bed and third Pullman bed available.

Sorry the "codes" didn't copy, here's a link to RCI's website where you can see the key.

Hope that helps!

###

Thanks. Our room does not have a Pullman bed or a sofa bed so it only accomodates 2. The poster who got the rollaway bed had a sofa bed in their room, so I guess that's why they could put three people in their room. I still don't understand why we can't put three people in our room if we have a rollaway bed or even an air mattress. Its not like we can book the third person in our GS and have them just stay in the D1, because we already have four people booked in the GS, and I believe that's the limit for that cabin.

(This is beachchick)

The reason you can't book 3 people into a cabin designated for 2 is because there are Coast Guard and maritime rules/laws regarding the number of souls onboard a ship. The maxiumum number designated by the cruise line for each cabin is not a negotiable item because of that. Although the deck plans and cabin sizes don't have to be approved by the Coast Guard(at least as far as I know), the overall maxiumum pax onboard does. The total number of pax is determined by the number of cabins and the number of pax per cabin. (I hope this makes sense; I realize that I'm not always terribly coherent.)

If you are at the maxiumum number allocated for the cabins you have booked, then that's it. It sounds like you have 7 or 8 total, but your 2 cabins only accommodate 6 total; is that right? If so, you either need to book an additional cabin ($$$ of course) or change to cabins that will accommodate your total (such as a D that is designed for 3 or 4). Please understand, I am not flaming you in any way; I'm just trying to explain how the cabin pax maximums work. I know this doesn't help your situation. Have you tried looking for a D designed for more pax? (Don't know if that's a possibility for you.) You could certainly bring an air bed in that case because many have done so (partly, as I've heard, because the sofa beds are not particularly comfortable, to put it mildly). I know some of the E's and D's on some of the ships have pullman beds rather than a sofa bed. Those sound far more comfortable (plus the steward will flip them up and out of the way during the day). What about a Royal Family Suite. I know those are scarce and hard to come by, but they do accommodate up to 8 (I believe). They won't show in an online inventory because you need 5 minimum to book one (again, I think that's the number). I don't know if the Enchantment has them, but I would assume so.

I hope you get things resolved and have a wonderful cruise.

beachchick

(This is beachchick)

The reason you can't book 3 people into a cabin designated for 2 is because there are Coast Guard and maritime rules/laws regarding the number of souls onboard a ship. The maxiumum number designated by the cruise line for each cabin is not a negotiable item because of that. Although the deck plans and cabin sizes don't have to be approved by the Coast Guard(at least as far as I know), the overall maxiumum pax onboard does. The total number of pax is determined by the number of cabins and the number of pax per cabin. (I hope this makes sense; I realize that I'm not always terribly coherent.)

If you are at the maxiumum number allocated for the cabins you have booked, then that's it. It sounds like you have 7 or 8 total, but your 2 cabins only accommodate 6 total; is that right? If so, you either need to book an additional cabin ($$$ of course) or change to cabins that will accommodate your total (such as a D that is designed for 3 or 4). Please understand, I am not flaming you in any way; I'm just trying to explain how the cabin pax maximums work. I know this doesn't help your situation. Have you tried looking for a D designed for more pax? (Don't know if that's a possibility for you.) You could certainly bring an air bed in that case because many have done so (partly, as I've heard, because the sofa beds are not particularly comfortable, to put it mildly). I know some of the E's and D's on some of the ships have pullman beds rather than a sofa bed. Those sound far more comfortable (plus the steward will flip them up and out of the way during the day). What about a Royal Family Suite. I know those are scarce and hard to come by, but they do accommodate up to 8 (I believe). They won't show in an online inventory because you need 5 minimum to book one (again, I think that's the number). I don't know if the Enchantment has them, but I would assume so.

I hope you get things resolved and have a wonderful cruise.

beachchick

Thank you. That was very helpful and explained a lot. We have a GS with an adjoining D1 and my mom really likes that set up, particularly because we are right next to each other. Now, I guess we could change to a GS and a seperate D1 that has either a sofa bed or a Pullman bed, but I don't know if the rest of my group wants to do that.

I'm glad I could help. It sounds like the adjoining cabins would be better, but you may not have a choice. I'm rather surprised that RCI would have a 2 pax D cabin adjoining a GS. Seems to me that many parents like that arrangement and want to use the D for their kids (little or big). It would make more sense to have the flexibility of 3 or even 4 in the adjoining D. Oh well, whoever said that cruiselines are logical?

I hope you can work out something that will be satisfactory to everyone. Which ship is it you're sailing? Is it Enchantment or was that the OP? If the ship you are sailing on has the RFS, I would really recommend looking into that: 2 bedrooms (one specifically designed for the kids with bunk/pullmans); 2 bathrooms (one large and nice like the GS, though maybe not as fancy); large living room with sofa bed; large balcony; and access to Concierge lounge if there is one on that ship. I know the price for 3rd, 4th, and beyond on the RFS sometimes makes them a good value for larger families. Also, are there any other connecting GS to D or even E on your ship? Maybe one has the 3/4 pax D setup? (I'm thinking, though, that if that was the case that you'd already have thought of that and moved....duh; naturally you would have.)

I will be sending good thoughts your way in hopes that it will help you resolve this so that you can have a great family cruise.:)

beachchick

Archived