Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Hi All

Its the great day the maiden voyage has arrived

So we advised that we had poor water pressure in our cabin we were told plumber has been so we head back turn on the shower and drip drip drip no water turn the tap drip drip help later we try again and have increased water pressure

Princess are working hard to fix these little issues

Came across a till that thinks its on the Grand Princess prints this sure this will be fixed quickly

Last night was sad saying good bye to friends so trip home to you all and look forward to our next cruise together

Another waiter came up to us last night and asked if we remembered him we sure did he is one of those happy folks always smiling so nice to see he is moving up the ranks within Princess

Need to get new cruise cards

Today

Went to club 6 Left some time after two great night

Shower has two pump bottles of shampoo and shower gel

Yours Shogun

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To ALL our live and on-the-scene "reporters!" Thank you very much for all the candid and timely reports on the new Royal Princess. Just like your latest version of a software product, there WILL be bugs that need to be worked out. But that doesn't mean you'll trash your computer! ;-) And thanks to all of you seasoned travelers that are subjecting yourself to this NEW adventure, sharing it with all of us, and enjoying the excitement of it all!! One thing I have NOT see yet is a review of Crooners Lounge!!! I typically spend a "bit" of time there <blush> and would like to get some impressions from anyone who has enjoyed that venue!! Thanks in advance.

Hi larry

Crooners is one of my favourite places on the ship as I spend a "bit" of time there too ;)

On the royal it is quite a bit bigger than normal and the furniture is slightly more varied - a few more sofas etc. more tables for two etc. in essence though it remains exactly the crooners we know and love.

The atmosphere is the same and the same nibbles with drinks etc

A couple of main differences: there is a door out to the prom deck where there is seating. I think this will be nice in hot weather cruises, but it is discreet and doesn't change the ambiance

Biggest difference is that the 'corridor' of foot traffic that goes past the outside of the bar on the other boats actually goes through the middle of crooners on the royal. Personally we avoided the seats that were continually walked past, but they were the best ones for the 'people watching' aspect of the old crooners and I didn't feel it detracted from the experience at all. Just gave a bit more choice

There was only one piano not the two that I think we're talked about. The entertainer was Kory Simon but we didn't see him

Hope that helps

Examples of bugs that will be worked out:

a) TV sets not working

b) Shower water not warm enough

c) Air conditioning not keeping cabin cool enough

Examples of design features that will not be worked out:

a) No center public stairway above deck 7

b) Only one USA type electrical outlet at the cabin desk

c) Smaller balconies (compared to Grand class) for most balcony cabins and mini-suites

There are two USA sockets and one European at the desk. I know there was initial confusion about this because they are separate and a picture showed just one of them but I can confirm there are definitely two USA ones

We have seen pictures of spin bikes in the preview videos as well as pictures sent by different people. I read somewhere that there will be spin classes during the cruises. Could somebody find out if there will be a fee for theses classes?

No spin classes on the 2 day cruise. There is a spin bike in the gym for use anytime though. It has a tv screen on it which I've never seen before. Nelo the fitness instructor was very proud of it! Sorry I didn't ask if there were full classes.

How is the dancing in the Atrium? I know about the band. But how is the dancing?

Many people? Are they having fun?

Greg

Hi Greg

I'm sorry I didn't see any dancing in the atrium, just the Zumba class. Perhaps someone on longer can report back

There are two USA sockets and one European at the desk. I know there was initial confusion about this because they are separate and a picture showed just one of them but I can confirm there are definitely two USA ones

Good to hear.

Shogun,

Any update for us on the room air conditioning? We are on the July 5th Med sailing. Having done the Med in summer before, we know how hot that gets. My family and I all like it cool when we are sleeping, hot or stuffy rooms drive us nuts. Has yours been fixed and blowing cooler air yet? Have others had the same complaint you have on this? What about public rooms?

Thanks, and enjoy your trip.

When we boarded it was noticeably hotter round the ship than usual but they soon got that sorted and it became 'normal' princess internal temperature

Our cabin air con worked fine. Silent and efficient. My husband likes it cool while sleeping too and he was fine. How this translates to places with hotter climates remains to be seen. It wasn't exactly challenged by the temperatures in the English Channel!

Hi All

Got letter saying new cruise key enclosed Mrs shogun key card there but not mine so to pursers and wait get to desk and wait get told its in the terminal wait someone fetching it for you wait wait give up hope then. Card arrives all is well again

Yours shogun

We are sitting having breakfast enjoying all your posts about your trials and tribulations - you have obviously been blessed with patience and tenacity. Looking forward to boarding later today

Thanks to all of you for posting!!

Shogun, we will continue to cruise along with you. We are celebrating our anniversary in Las Vegas but have Internet in the room so we can keep up with the Royal and you.

Cheers, Denise

When we boarded it was noticeably hotter round the ship than usual but they soon got that sorted and it became 'normal' princess internal temperature

Our cabin air con worked fine. Silent and efficient. My husband likes it cool while sleeping too and he was fine. How this translates to places with hotter climates remains to be seen. It wasn't exactly challenged by the temperatures in the English Channel!

Hi Julie or Shogun-

When the key cards were removed from wall slot, did just the stateroom lights turn off . . . or did the Air shut off too? Hoping the A/C stays on

Sure enjoying all the posts!

Thx, sue

Shogun.

Would you be able to connect with anyone on Marina deck in mid ship area to question the overhang above the balcony. Wondering if rh is any sun at all. Also is noise from MUTS heard in this area.

We are in m620, do not intend to change but would like some idea if the balcony is way more overes than those on lower decks

We were M621. We had no noise issues at all, in fact I think this was the quietest ship I have ever been on.

However the overhang from the Horizon buffet was enormous and would certainly cut off sun for a large proportion of the day. All of the balconies for the standard and deluxe cabins are covered as the sides of the ship go straight down but the overhang would make me book a lower deck next time.

Someone asked about the hairdryer- in the deluxe balcony it was located in the drawer above the fridge at the desk area.

THANK YOU again to all who provided such great information during the final 2-night Preview Cruise.

Assuming that Shogun and others will continue this thread or branch off to a Maiden Voyage LIVE thread I'm looking forward to another week of details and highlights.

Unfortunately I'll miss the departure and all that leads up to it as I'm heading to bed as soon as I get off work due to working 16-hour shifts this weekend.

Bon Voyage and have a great cruise everyone!!! :D:D:D

Just got off the Royal today. We had a great time. We had a deluxe balcony cabin E403 (obstructed view). Actually our balcony was slightly angled so we had a bit more room than others. There was a lifeboat to our left hand side but we had a really good view out. We were above the wide prom area which has some chairs and tables. This is a nice space and we went down there for sailaway as you can look over the railings. We could see the sea walk above us , but we were so far down it didn't bother us at all. Hairdryer hasn't improved about the same as the old ones. The small step in the shower will be great for shaving legs. Thanks princess! Now all I want to know is who was the contortionist who placed the toilet roll holder! Lol.

We felt the cabin size was fine. I was a bit concerned there were no drawers in the desk apart from the hairdryer drawer. But this wasn't an issue as two big drawers in the bedside cabinet as well as the little ledge.

The HC is definitely a big improvement. We loved it. Lots of glass and very light. Some high top tables near the pastry shop to perch for a snack as well as the usual 4 or 6 person tables. The cutlery is set out on the tables now rolled into a napkin. I noticed that tea/coffee/Juice was served to you by staff this was at breakfast not sure if you can self serve later. Food was good and varied.

We had a Belini before lunch yesterday. Well why not we were on a research mission! A Classic belini is $7.95 plus gratuity served in a very large fluted glass. Very nice indeed.

We went to Sabatini's last night for dinner. A very nice space we had a window table. Food was excellent as always and service there was great. Our wait staff had just come off the Grand.

Crooners - We also spend a fair amount of time here. The bar stools are extremely comfortable with arms! Bar staff here were superb great interaction and quick to serve. Kory Simon is the pianist, he told me he had a contract until December on the Royal. We sailed with him on the Crown in 2012 and really enjoyed his shows. The staff call it the sing-a-long bar.

Also had a 'research' ice cream from Gelato $2.75 plus gratuity or one punch off your coffee card. Three big scoops delicious.

Went for a look at the sanctuary. Looking at the price list it seemed the 2 big enclosed rooms with panoramic windows, massage beds one end and sofa and tv the other, price for up to 4 people was somewhere in the region of $2,500- $3,000 at that price I hope the treatments were included. I still am not sure if i got this right, as i felt that was pretty steep pricing! Someone still on board may be able to confirm pricing . Price for a lounger was $15 half day $25 full day.

Now for the central lifts. These lifts were pretty busy as no stairs above deck 7. It was a big pain for us having to wait and wait. And this was with a small amount of passengers on board. I heard there was less than 2,000 of us on for the two day cruise.

Happy to answer any questions. We loved the ship and will be booking for a longer trip on her shortly.

Hi All

As far as l can tell air con is live at all times

Ship crew working hard getting the ship ready everything is clean and polished food is being stacked high hope those boarding are hungry

Went to cabin this morning and my disembarkation tickets were there not for today but for next week. Are they trying to get rid of me

Expect a lot of wow posts by those boarding in the next few minutes this is a nice ship

Yours shogun

If someone can please check on the prices of a few things for me please...

- Whiskey shooters at the Wheelhouse Bar

- Menu items at the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar

Also can we get a picture of:

- When the ship is at sea on the promenade deck outside of Facets and Crooners, and to see if the furniture stays out there during the day

- The Crab Shack and Fondue's when they are open

- Calypso Cabana on the aft port side of the pool deck

- The Shooting Range facility

THANK YOU again for everything and safe journeys!!! :D :D :D

Hi all

Passengers streaming onboard, baggage guys hard at work, loads of fork lifts dock side unloading big lorry loads of supplies so much going on so little time to we sail, turn around is always amazing to watch but this is big ship with even more to load than normal

Yours Shogun

Thanks to Shogun and Julie as well as others who have contributed to this live from post! You've made many of us anxiously awaiting news about how the Royal Princess works with passengers on board very happy. Now the big test of a full sailing! Bon Voyage!

Archived