HELP - leaving in 7 days - first family cruise

HappyMomTo3

The OP's children are 12, 10 and 9. Are you saying kids don't remember anything from their first 6 years of school, or are you saying you give your children such bland vacation experiences that are so much like home that nothing stands out as special? The first time I saw a guy take a machete to a coconut sure stands out in my mind.

These islands are great for exposing kid to different cultures, Get away from the tourist traps. It is the most exciting and most economical way to go.

1. I was born and raised in the ISLAND

2. I can do things with a machete to let a grown man cry. I can climb a coconut tree, try that on for cultural experience.

3. IMOP, a cruise ship is the absolutely worse way to get exposed to culture especially in the Caribbean.

4. Not sure about bland but my kids have seen the glaciers of Alaska, beaches of Hawaii, the ruins in Mexico, the waterfalls in Jamaica, the Colosseum in Rome, Michelangelo David in Florence, music in Austria, the cannel in Denmark, football in Barecelona. Along with good old US national parks, museums and camping. Mostly not a day in a port but days in a city. Yes most of the times they were dragged kicking and screaming, since the age of 2. This pales in comparison with home for us anyway, beer on tap, year round great weather, tons of hiking!

5. I have the dreaded words, my tummmy don't feel good, or after one bite and decide I don't want this.

6. When we cruise my kids prefer the ship, after being away for a few hours at most, the whining starts. As a kid I would rather the pretty ship than being in a port where locals sometimes come at you like the speed of light.

7. My stomach is lined with lead, not so much my kids. I rather not to take chances unless I am sure about sanitation. We eat breakfast on the ship, look around port and call it a day. We get back in time for lunch. This is when traveling with KIDS a bit different without them.

8. What stands out as special, my daughter loved Alaska and my son the cute girls on the ship and at the resorts.

9. The awesome cruise ship plus the ports, can be overwhelming for kids cruising the first time. I KNOW from EXPERIENCE

I don't know if any of your kids are old enough to have cell phones - but if they do don't forget to take them. It would be a shame to save money by employing all of these usefull tips, only to come home to an outragous cellular bill.

OK, bringing all this extra food on board is CRAZY!! You will end up taking most of it back home. Been there, done that!

If you and your family normally don't drink soda don't worry about getting a soda card. Tea and lemonade are more than enough to satisfy you for the week.

Start with a good hearty breakfast in the morning on the ship. Walk to the local free beach and have a beach morning. Return to the ship have lunch. Walk back out to peruse the local town w/in walking distance and then return to the ship.

If there isn't a free beach w/in walking distance - Have a hearty leisurely breakfast and enjoy cruise ship until mid morning. Peruse the local area w/in walking distance and return to ship for a late lunch.

Enroll your kids in the kid's programs. MAKE SURE TO ATTEND THE ORIENTATION ON THE 1ST DAY! This will keep them entertained all day and avoid them roaming the ship and finding things to purchase.

When your kids get cranky and bored suggest an ICE CREAM break.

I've been on several cruises, the kids normally tend to relax and have more fun and spend $0 because of the kid's club, busy swimming, golfing, going down water slide, hanging w/ friends, etc. Our teens were happy just eating pizza and drinking lemonade 24/7.

Spending zero to very minimal $$ is fairly easy on a cruise. And you won't feel like you're deprived.

That's us. I have always thought taking food on a cruiseis like taking 'herb" to Jamaica. Simply cheat yourself outta da cultural experience. Wait, many of us KNOW cultural experience hardly happen with a few hours in port. Kinda like sailing out of LA claiming you a taste of US culture. You have to love the mindset though:D

OP- 14 cruises later and there were few occasions eating off the ship was necessary. Yep, to absorb the alcohol in port. The pictures are going to get you and hard. For the ones you purchase and wish to share, Walgreen's has the copy right for Carnival on file. Once you get back you can call Carnival and ask for a letter giving you permission to copy the pics or take it to Wal-greens, most of them know it's OK to copy. This is cheaper than trying to copy them at home.

THANKS EVERYONE! YOU'VE GIVEN ME GREAT IDEAS! :)

I won't undertip, I promise. We will do the $11.50 per day as suggested, and perhaps more if the service is off-the-charts! :) Okay, so calm down about that and everyone have a big group hug.

Seriously, thanks again. I appreciate the help. I've researched each of the ports of call on the boards now a feel like I have a game plan for each day. The hubby and I may splurge in St. Lucia and do a tour while living the kids on the ship in the club that day. I feel somewhat guilty about that, but then again...how many kids at their age get a nice vacation like this???

As for cell phones, we are not taking any. Only mine and it will be TURNED OFF the whole trip ( a perk of having our extended family with us, shouldn't need to call home)

Thanks again :)

THANKS EVERYONE! YOU'VE GIVEN ME GREAT IDEAS! :)

I won't undertip, I promise. We will do the $11.50 per day as suggested, and perhaps more if the service is off-the-charts! :) Okay, so calm down about that and everyone have a big group hug.

Seriously, thanks again. I appreciate the help. I've researched each of the ports of call on the boards now a feel like I have a game plan for each day. The hubby and I may splurge in St. Lucia and do a tour while living the kids on the ship in the club that day. I feel somewhat guilty about that, but then again...how many kids at their age get a nice vacation like this???

As for cell phones, we are not taking any. Only mine and it will be TURNED OFF the whole trip ( a perk of having our extended family with us, shouldn't need to call home)

Thanks again :)

Your welcome :)

Did you join the roll call for your cruise ? You may be able to find another family and share taxis or share excursions ( or meet new friends to cruise with)

I sure did - but we are traveling with about 40 people total (family wedding onboard) so I think I'm probably good for cab sharing! :)

I hope my kids meet some other kids their age in the club, etc. We have lots of adults traveling but only one other kid besides mine.

I sure did - but we are traveling with about 40 people total (family wedding onboard) so I think I'm probably good for cab sharing! :)

I hope my kids meet some other kids their age in the club, etc. We have lots of adults traveling but only one other kid besides mine.

Ahh nice . Have a great cruise

We are taking some cash w/ us but will need to access more as my husband gets paid the Tuesday we are on the cruise! (hate that, but....)

Are there ATMS in port, or do you suggest a way about picking up cash? I didn't know if there was an ATM onboard or anything like that.

Thanks.

We are taking some cash w/ us but will need to access more as my husband gets paid the Tuesday we are on the cruise! (hate that, but....)

Are there ATMS in port, or do you suggest a way about picking up cash? I didn't know if there was an ATM onboard or anything like that.

Thanks.

They do have atms onboard but sometimes they run out of money

Do yourself a favor and call your bank and tell them you are going on vacation and will be out of the country. My debit card was shut off one cruise because they thought someone stole my identity and it was fraud

I thought of that - went to my bank yesterday and they put a memo on my card. They told me without doing that it would have been declined. So glad I thought of it!!!! Sad that identity thieves ruin it for the good people.

I will hit the ATM early Tuesday morning and get cash...hopefully. If not, we'll just make do.

I got paid while on the ship too. I stuck with the cash that I added initially, kept some in reserves for tips, etc in the ports and was okay to use the debit card once I returned (I also told them I'd be out of of town/country for the week(s) I was gone). You could also add the debit card mid trip (after your DH gets paid) if you decide you need more $$ on your S&S as well. Enjoy your cruise!!!

As this poster notes about getting flamed. I personally would not post for anyone to break the LAW. Its against the LAW in most ports to take any unsealed food off the ships. you could be fined if they wanted to push it... why be embarrased if they choose to make you open up your purse or backpack and search it and find a apple (fruit is among the worst because it could have bugs). I would think myself, I dont like being embarrassed. There are also signs at the doors leading off the ship saying do not bring food off the ship. I've even read it in the daily planner, so you would have to plead deaf and dumb to be trying to sneak off food.

if you must.. grab a couple of those little boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffet that are sealed and allowed.. I think you should respect the country you are in. Besides, wouldnt you be embarrassed to be caught sneaking food off the ship? Countries do not allow it to protect their ecology from bugs which you may carry off the ship.

I would also bring empty water bottles in my suitcase and fill them with water in the buffet to bring off in ports to save money.

There has to be better ways to save money than breaking the law.

i dont care if you do or dont .. I just think if someone is going to suggest something like this they also add that its against the law... take off a couple of boxes of cereal to munch on a fill a empty bottle of water to throw in your backpack.. it works and its allowed.

Do what you want.. I really dont care.

I agree. I often wonder when people post with the silly "I will get flamed for this but do it anyway" disclaimer, do they really know WHY others respond negatively to them? It has nothing to do with "flaming". There are very good reasons that fruits, veggies, and other produce are not permitted to be taken off the ship, whether an individual feels those reasons are good enough is a moot point. It's the law. Abide by it. Set a good example for your children.

It's no need to lie and I tip the people I want to tip and if u don't like it Idgaf she asked for suggestions and I gave one point blank period the end! Lmao

There is that Philly attitude. Love it!!

Thanks.

There are many ATM's in St Thomas that you can use and the fees may be less than the ATM's on the ship. There is one at Havensight mall at the bank there, Banco Popular maybe? Some banks, like Scotiabank have no fee agreements with some U.S. banks.

Keep in mind that the atms in other locations probably will not give you U.S. currency.

This is a great itinerary, small, clean, lovely islands with pristine beaches, especially in St Kitts & St Lucia.

If you have been peeking at the high s+s amount thread you are bound to feel worried about spending on a cruise..

But lets be honest here - all the drinks packages (soda, wine, cheers) are a rip off unless you drink like a fish and a good chunk of the people that spend a lot either gamble/do lots of excursions or both. From the looks of things the ports are not huge shopping ports and these ships have small shopping arcade anyway.

If you really think about it you do not need much money once you have paid for your cruise. :)

Archived