HELP - leaving in 7 days - first family cruise

HappyMomTo3

We are leaving in 7 days for a cruise on Carnival Valor. We are going as a whole family for a wedding in St. Thomas (orchestrated by Carnival).

I will be very blunt - we are a very middle class family of 5. We are on a serious budget. It took us well over a year to pay for a cruise/airfare for 5 people. We will have VERY LITTLE money on the ship & in port.

Would love to know fun, inexpensive, etc. ideas for keeping us all happy & in "vacation mode" despite not having a lot of money in port to play with, etc.

We are visiting

St. Thomas (wedding here - won't have much time for other things)

Barbados

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

I am hoping to have $300-400 TOTAL (this is for EVERYTHING once we are on board) but may have less. I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to walk off the ship, look around, and then get back on the boat for lack of spending money. My kids are SO SO SO excited. I just want to make it a great vacation. It's a "once in a lifetime" thing for us.

Advice, help, tips GREATLY appreciated.

Did you pre-pay your gratuities?? That is around $12 per day, per person. For your family that is $420 for a 7 day cruise. Carnival will charge that to your account on board.

To save money, don't buy their photos. You can take your own and they will be just as good and provide the memories you want.

Alcohol can be expensive. Soda card would be $25 per day per person. $2.50 to buy a soda on board. Bring your own. Free drinks include juice, iced tea, lemonade, coffee and hot tea.

If they give you a slip to sign you are paying for something.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Hello there. I am myself going on a cruise with my parents and we don't want to spend that much money either. I've heard that the food in places like dining rooms is included, also 24hr room service is included too. You might pay around $10-$15/day in gratitude's but the price is optional. The alcoholic drinks around the ship and soda is extra $. I will probably bring my own soda and water onto the ship.

We did prepay gratuities - sort of --- we have a $300 onboard credit we will use towards gratuities and then pay the difference. I was wondering about soda cards, if they were worth it, etc. I don't drink a lot and neither do my kids. For us, we might come out cheaper paying per soda?

I can't speak on the ports as we aren't doing the Valor until next year.

First, have you prepaid your gratuities or will you include thes in your 3-400 budget? If you havent paid the gratuities this is going to take a large chunk of that money. Assuming youve paid your tips your budget is tight but doable. We have a 7 year old and she constantly wants things in ports and on the ship so we tell her she gets 1 or 2 things on the trip and then you just say "no" - depending on the age of your kids they might want to stay in camp carnival - my DD was constantly coming back with free things (stuffed animals, drawstring backpacks, etc) so she never felt deprived.

In port, Most ports have free beaches you can take cabs too for a nominal fee. You can also just look at the things in the ports.

If you drink sodas then I'd bring them on board - you get a 12 pack per person limit, however, you are leaving out of puerto Rico and this can be heavy in your packed luggage and getting them in San Juan might prove difficult. We don't drink soda but we did pack the Mio water enhances and the Hawaiian punch powders you add to water - this was fine for my DD and we just filled up a Tervis type tumbler with water from the drink station.

Obviously you don't have much money for alcohol but you and those over 21 can each bring on one bottle of wine. Also, if you have to have alcohol order it from Bon voyage before you go - a bottle of rum or vodka will be about $60 and you can bring on your own mixers (we like rum with fruit punch). Call carnival to order at least 2 weeks before you leave.

Don't be tempted to buy anything in the shops - most of it is, in my opinion, junk. Although they do $10 sales and you could always let your kids get their souvenirs during this event.

Have fun and stick to your budget - you can make it work.

We did prepay gratuities - sort of --- we have a $300 onboard credit we will use towards gratuities and then pay the difference. I was wondering about soda cards, if they were worth it, etc. I don't drink a lot and neither do my kids. For us, we might come out cheaper paying per soda?

Lemonaide and iced tea and hot chocolate and coffee is all free, hot tea too.

Each person can carry on up to 12, 20 oz nonalcoholic drinks if you just cant go a week and not have your soda. Frankly I find the lemonaide is fine and skip drinking soda on a cruise.

I would say NO, not worth it.

I save my money for things I can touch and bring home, not food or drinks. Like I buy glitter shirts which dont shrink and to me a good value and I wear them at home too.

You can keep your bill at zero except for tips easily.

Get off in the ports and walk around. I go into a coffee shop and pay $1.50 for a can of coke to get internet access and catch up on my emails.

Look around the port, its free. I dont hardly ever stay on the ship. Maybe once in 60 cruises total, can't remember now why. Oh it was Jamaica... just didnt feel like going out and had been there less than 2 month before and spent over $50 in the port.

My kids are 12, 10, 9 - they are VERY excited about the "kids clubs" but I wondered how long that might pique their interest. They are pretty great kids. They have saved a little money for spending themselves, and actually chipped in Christmas & birthday money to pay for our cruise. I'm pretty proud of them :)

I just want it to be fun for them as we probably won't do this again for a long time (at least as a family).

Thanks...keep the suggestions coming!

It can be done. My wife and I did this same cruise last year. The ship was the Victory then. Here are some tips.

1] you still have time if you or someone drinks to order a bottle or 2 from Bon Voyage to be in your cabin . This will cut out an alcohol tab on the ship.

2] when you get off ship find a cheap taxi to take you all to a free beach on the islands and most will give a history tour of island on the way to the beach [i will get flamed for this but who cares, the night before order 1 sandwich for each person from room service. Pack some plastic bags from

home. Then pack up the sandwiches to take to the beach with you.

3] bring sodas and water on the ship. Keep empty water bottles to re-fill with water and juice or lemonade from lido deck. {you can carry these off the ship with you.

4] Bring a colapsable [sp] cooler from home. Load with ice from lido deck pack drinks and food to carry off ship [i will get flamed]

5] there are enough places to eat and drink on the ship that cost nothing extra.

6] there is entertainment all over the ship so there will be things to do

I have others but lets see how these fly.......

Research your ports, if you find one you are not so interested in [for me I would be Barbados] just stay on the ship. While everyone else is in port you will have the ship to yourselves, you can play in the pools, the waterslides, mini golf - all without having to wait in lines. At other ports just go to a public beach for a few hours.

As for soda, if you don't normally drink it don't buy it on the ship. Take a 12 pack as a treat for your kids. Also, if you drink wine you and you r spouse can each take a bottle, this will give you an adult beverage at dinner or after the show.

Definitely take your kids to camp carnival this is a free service and will give your kids lots to do during the day.

Also the library has board games so if the kids get bored instead of spending money, go to guest services and get the key...family game time!

And don't worry as long as gratuities are paid, you can have a great time without spending much extra money at all.

It can be done. My wife and I did this same cruise last year. The ship was the Victory then. Here are some tips.

1] you still have time if you or someone drinks to order a bottle or 2 from Bon Voyage to be in your cabin . This will cut out an alcohol tab on the ship.

2] when you get off ship find a cheap taxi to take you all to a free beach on the islands and most will give a history tour of island on the way to the beach [i will get flamed for this but who cares, the night before order 1 sandwich for each person from room service. Pack some plastic bags from

3] bring sodas and water on the ship. Keep empty water bottles to re-fill with water and juice or lemonade from lido deck. {you can carry these off the ship with you.

4] Bring a colapsable [sp] cooler from home. Load with ice from lido deck pack drinks and food to carry off ship [i will get flamed]

5] there are enough places to eat and drink on the ship that cost nothing extra.

6] there is entertainment all over the ship so there will be things to do

I have others but lets see how these fly.......

Not flaming at all - These are great ideas and others do this all the time. IMO you would be eating on the ship if you were not leaving so what is the difference. I tried doing this once but it was spring break and others must have had the same idea and after being on hold with room service for 20 mins we said screw it.

If you are short on funds, skip the soda card. I never buy them. I don't drink soda anyway but DH does. He brings what we can on board and that's that! Don't buy the photos they take. Use your own camera. Make sure you bring medicine such as Tylenol, Advil, or whatever for you and the kids. Buying that stuff on board is expensive. All your food is free on the ship. I wouldn't eat in port if it could be avoided. Bring water on the ship too, so you can take it while on the islands instead of paying for some. Don't buy any excursions from the ship. Just do things like beach days that require inexpensive taxi or van trips. Keep anything you bring home just for the kids and get t-shirts and magnets. That's enough. Lol. If you set a daily limit @$80 a day, you should do fine. No need to go back on the ship when you get to the ports. I generally spend more on board anyway. Enjoy your trip!!

5] .

As this poster notes about getting flamed. I personally would not post for anyone to break the LAW. Its against the LAW in most ports to take any unsealed food off the ships. you could be fined if they wanted to push it... why be embarrased if they choose to make you open up your purse or backpack and search it and find a apple (fruit is among the worst because it could have bugs). I would think myself, I dont like being embarrassed. There are also signs at the doors leading off the ship saying do not bring food off the ship. I've even read it in the daily planner, so you would have to plead deaf and dumb to be trying to sneak off food.

if you must.. grab a couple of those little boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffet that are sealed and allowed.. I think you should respect the country you are in. Besides, wouldnt you be embarrassed to be caught sneaking food off the ship? Countries do not allow it to protect their ecology from bugs which you may carry off the ship.

I would also bring empty water bottles in my suitcase and fill them with water in the buffet to bring off in ports to save money.

There has to be better ways to save money than breaking the law.

i dont care if you do or dont .. I just think if someone is going to suggest something like this they also add that its against the law... take off a couple of boxes of cereal to munch on a fill a empty bottle of water to throw in your backpack.. it works and its allowed.

Do what you want.. I really dont care.

I agree with the post about the flavor packets. You can buy these at any discount store - exp. walmart or kmart or even your supermarket. These are light weight. Take them out of the box, put them in a zip lock and pack them in suitcase. If you order anything other than water at shows, bingo, etc - it will cost money. Pack a few inexpensive "sealable" water bottles. You can get water everywhere and make your own crystal light style drinks. That will save you a fortune. I am not sure about bringing those off ship to islands. Perhaps someone can clarify that.

Alcohol is expensive. You can bring 1 bottle of wine (normal size) per each 21 yr old adult - carry on to ship. Don't forget cork screw! Have a glass in room before dinner if you like.

I bring granola bars, anything that is single serve and doesn't crush easily for shore excursions. That really cuts down cost. I also bring a soft12x12 cooler to carry what I need and extra ice for cabin. Gallon zip locks work well for that as well.

Bring fruit back to cabin to curb hunger when needed. Bananas become scarce by mid week. If you like them take a couple to be sure you have them.

Have a family meeting before you go and explain your budget and that while food and shows are free, most everything else costs $$. Also be sure that only adults are set up to use the sail and sign key. It is also your ship credit card AND room key. My kids had $50 each (cash) like a debit card and had to budget that for the whole week. There are video game rooms, they can buy soda, etc. with room key.

Ask a lot of questions here and on board! You will be a pro when you get back. Enjoy your vacation!!!! ;)

2] when you get off ship find a cheap taxi to take you all to a free beach on the islands and most will give a history tour of island on the way to the beach [I will get flamed for this but who cares, the night before order 1 sandwich for each person from room service. Pack some plastic bags from home. Then pack up the sandwiches to take to the beach with you.

OK - I'll be the one to say it - PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! It is harmful to the environment of the country you are visiting - bringing unpackaged food off the ship can introduce things into the environment that can harm the ecology of the island or country.

You can bring pre-packaged items like cereal boxes (you can get in the buffet) or granola bar type snacks (bring from home)

This is not allowed..Why are you encouraging it?

the night before order 1 sandwich for each person from room service. Pack some plastic bags from

BINGO! It states clearly in the daily paper not to do this!

OK - I'll be the one to say it - PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! It is harmful to the environment of the country you are visiting - bringing unpackaged food off the ship can introduce things into the environment that can harm the ecology of the island or country.

You can bring pre-packaged items like cereal boxes (you can get in the buffet) or granola bar type snacks (bring from home)

you have to ask why. I live in the real world. This is being done on every cruise. Show me a study where a sandwich off a cruise ship has introduced any new strains or a virus to an island. Take the stick out of you all's behind and take your police hats off. I am just answering someone's question. It is a suggestion of what she may want to do. She can choose to do it or not.

This is a great itinerary. Free beaches, small islands, St Kitts & St Lucia are very small. Barbados is the largest, but easy to get around. Do not take the ship excursions-too expensive.

Take public transportation like this person

"We were in Barbados for 3 days in December and decided to take the local bus up to Speightstown, north-west of Bridgetown on one of the days. Bus terminal located a 10 minute walk from the port. You buy your bus tokens at the terminal, each token costs US$1 (or B$1.50) per journey. You need the exact money, no coins. Catch the blue bus (yellow buses are able to play loud music throughout the journey and may be more expensive). When we reached Speightstown it was raining so we stayed on the bus which was going to Connell Town . Great journey, took over an hour and really interesting to see the local scenery. "

Or arrange with a taxi driver to take you on an island tour. Some of the islands have beaches you can walk to. Read the ports of call boards on this site for some great inexpensive ideas and suggestions on tours. If your kids are into water, buy some cheap snorkel gear to take with you. Even though I spent every weekend for years snorkeling on St John, I still have to be dragged out of the water.

Don't be afraid to go where the locals go. Try the mangos, guava tarts or conch fritters at the local markets. Let your kids buy crafts made by the locals. All these will be less costly than stuff in the tourist traps by the dock. These islands are safer than any big city in the U.S. The made in the U.S. snacks, sodas etc. will be more expensive. They won't remember the potato chips, but the plantain chips or sugar cane is a different thing.

Where is the wedding in St Thomas. I lived there for several years & my one regret is I didn't insist my DH & I go back there to get married:D

you have to ask why. I live in the real world. This is being done on every cruise. Show me a study where a sandwich off a cruise ship has introduced any new strains or a virus to an island. Take the stick out of you all's behind and take your police hats off. I am just answering someone's question. It is a suggestion of what she may want to do. She can choose to do it or not.

Lots of illegal things are done on and off ships daily, doesn't mean it's right or "less illegal." There are plenty of ways to not be hungry and save money while docked without smuggling sandwiches. This is the OPs first cruise and she will have her children and plenty of family around. It's bad advice to suggest she do anything that could potentially embarrass her should she get busted. Don't see the need to have to cite a study for something the cruise industry has already deemed bad practice. Once the tourists like us leave, we don't know what we leave behind. It ain't always just our money.:rolleyes:

We just got off a 5 day Glory cruise, and we didn't spend much at all. To save money, we didn't do any paid excursions from the ship. We did visit a few museums that had fees, but we walked to those and the fees were pretty nominal. If you stay close to the ship, you can plan to have lunch there. We did lunch at the port because we wanted to try some local places, but it was necessary.

We carried our own soft drinks on board. We brought 2 twelve packs and had one left over. We drank tea, lemonade, and water at our meals. We don't drink alcohol, but we did order a few soft drinks when we were watching some of the shows. We still paid very little out of pocket for drinks.

We did allow each child to pick a souvenir, but we set a budget for them. When the budget is spent, it's spent. We also did the Build-a-Bear thing one day which was fun (and was a pretty decent souvenir for around $25). I would give them a spending budget beforehand so they can take their time and figure out what they really want.

Honestly, the most money we spent on anything was for photos. They were a little pricy, but they looked fantastic and will save us from doing a family photoshoot later this year. Plus, that's the kind of souvenir I like because it doesn't take up any space. That is definitely something you don't need to spend money on.

My main advice is to bring toiletry and personal care items with you because it can be a little pricy on ship.

I think you can spend as much or as little as you want. There are many ways to spend money, but really, they are all optional. Look at what you want to do (whether it's gamble or visit a specialty restaurant or hop a cab at the port) and set a budget for yourself.

I don't drink soft drinks, besides the occasional ginger ale, so my opinion might not hold much water but... I wouldn't think the soda package would be worth it. A coke a day would be cheaper a la carte than the package. Plus I find the lemonade quite good on board. Occasionally I find it a little strong but I water it down a little and it's fine. The iced tea is actually not terrible either (hardly a ringing endorsement I know, but we're talking about saving money).

Very good tip about the Tylenol and such above. Medicine on board is crazy! My wife came down with a cold on one of ours and it was $17 for a bottle of Dayquil on board and a small bottle at that!

Of your ports the only one I've been to is St. Maarten and there's a public beach just across the harbor from the pier. There's a water taxi just off the ship that will take you there for a few dollars each. It's a good way to spend the day on the cheap. There's plenty of restaurants around also. If you really want to cheap it out you can walk there probably 15 minutes I'd guess.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. It can be done cheaply. Don't let all the threads here scare you. Just use common sense.

You might find that the "free" iced tea and lemonade will satisfy the kids. I don't think my kids ever bought a soda on either cruise.

ETA: I have bought soda from port, and brought back on the ship too.

While the photos are nice, I'm sure you can take some great pics yourself around the ship.

As others have said, take 2 bottles of wine, in your carry-on, when you embark.

Stay away from the bingo too :) There's plenty of "free" things to do on the ship.

My daughter enjoyed Club 02 (15 to 17). My son liked Circle C (12 to 14). If they make some friends, they'll be very happy!

Go the second day and take the tips off and tip yourself I rip my people very well this will be my 8 cruise but everybody don't agree with this but I go to guest services the second night and asked them to refund my tips and get envelopes and tip myself.

Archived