Car rentals at the port

BUNNY81

Hi all!

Travelling to St Martin on RC's Allure, arriving Philipsburg. Can anyone tell me which car rental agencies are at the pier? I've found Coastal Car company and Hertz so far. Wanting to compare prices, can anyone tell me which other companies are there? thanks!! Kristi

• 3 months later...

I can HIGHLY recommend Coastal. We've used them at least 5 times. They are very friendly and have nice vehicles. A GPS with all the sights preprogrammed is only $5 - well worth it. The vehicles are very inexpensive there. They have you on your way in no time. Last time there - we saw a long line a Hertz(apparently lots of travelers have "Hertz Points").

I can HIGHLY recommend Coastal. We've used them at least 5 times. They are very friendly and have nice vehicles. A GPS with all the sights preprogrammed is only $5 - well worth it. The vehicles are very inexpensive there. They have you on your way in no time. Last time there - we saw a long line a Hertz(apparently lots of travelers have "Hertz Points").

Perhaps the long line is from repeat customers. They rescued us when Athur stood us up so we will continue to use them as long as the service is to our liking. In January there were 7 ships in port so instead of looking for parking in town to do some shopping the employee from Hertz drove us back to town once we returned the car and we walked back to the pier once we had finished shopping. We knew that it was going to be nearly impossible to find parking at 2 pm on a Wednesday in Philipsburg so we took him up on his offer to drive us back to town. It worked out perfectly.

You may be right. I asked some people if they got a great deal or why they were standing in line and both couples replied that they travel often for business and had Hertz points to use for free rentals. I don't doubt they have great service, but they have never had rates as low as Coastal for our travel dates.

I ended up reserving with Coastal simply due to slightly lower price. I also heard that it might take a little bit longer to rent with Hertz when at port, but this may be wrong.

Anyway, there will be about 8 cruise ships in port when we dock! So, I didn't want to have to rely on taxis. I think we get there early so we will try to be off the ship as soon as we dock and get a move on!

• 2 months later...

In November there were five rental offices inside the gate. We used Sun Than because they were a little less expensive,$75 total plus fuel . All were price fixed at about $82 with tax, etc. There is a fuel station just outside the gate. I would try to find a rental outside the gate next time, but am still researching. Ideas anyone?

In November there were five rental offices inside the gate. We used Sun Than because they were a little less expensive,$75 total plus fuel . All were price fixed at about $82 with tax, etc. There is a fuel station just outside the gate. I would try to find a rental outside the gate next time, but am still researching. Ideas anyone?

We paid $94 in January and March of last year when we rented from Hertz at the pier. The year before Hertz "rescued" us when Arthur from Arthur's car rental was a no show.