Monkeys on Altun Ha/Wallace River Tour?

lennythenose

I am trying to decide what tour to book in Belize and the main thing I need to make sure we see is monkeys! For those of you who have taken the river tour to Altun Ha did you see many/any monkeys? I've seen them mentioned on the longer tour to Lamanai but I'm worried about the length of that trip and making it back to the Carnival Conquest on time.

We have recently returned from the Glory, and did this via ship excursion. We did see quite a few monkeys (over 20) along the river. They were all high up in the trees, and visible by eye but not as closeup as I had expected. Even so, with a basic zoom lens, you should get some nice shots. The boat driver and guide do an excellent job re spotting wildlife. Lots of iguanas, just one alligator and many birds. Very hot, as the boat is not covered re shade, but they do go fast every so often to attract a breeze. Enjoyed this excursion, esp Altun Ha. We normally do not do ship excursions, but opted for one in Belize. Glad we did the river bit rather than the city option....you get to see part of the city anyway on the way out to the ruins....also enough time to browse shops back at the enclosed port area.

Archived