Going from an AFT balcony to Oceanview

tarheelmjfan

We just got off Infinity, where we had an AFT balcony CC cabin. This was only our 2nd cruise. The other was 12 yrs. ago & we had an OV on a ship where there was no balconies. We were happy with the OV at the time, but we were also younger then & partied more. After our recent cruise, we are hooked & are hoping to cruise more often. We were so impressed with X, that we're afraid to venture beyond it. We're looking at the Century for our anniversary, & after taking this extremely expensive trip to Alaska, we don't really want to spring for a suite. My DH thinks we will be happy with an OV, but I'm not too sure. We enjoyed breakfast on the balcony every morning, & spent much more time there than in the public viewing areas. He thinks the warmer climate will get us out of the cabin more. :confused: Again, I'm not so sure about that either, since we're kind of hermits. :o Has anyone who enjoyed their balcony as much as/ more than any other part of the cruise been happy with an OV later? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. :) Thanks

I've done 'em all, inside, outside obstructed, oceanview, CC and suite. I've enjoyed them each in their own way. Heck, I'm on a ship, I'll adjust! That's my attitude getting onboard and it has never failed me. I ALWAYS have a great time!

We just got off Infinity, where we had an AFT balcony CC cabin. This was only our 2nd cruise ...[snip]... Has anyone who enjoyed their balcony as much as/ more than any other part of the cruise been happy with an OV later? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. :) Thanks
Ah, you're spoiled now! There's no way for me to tell you whether we would be happy moving back to an OV after experiencing an aft CC since we've never been willing to do it after our first aft CC experience! Especially on longer cruises, we really enjoy being able to just walk out back on an at-sea day and lie down for a good read (sometimes turning into a good snooze) in peace. It would be more important to us on longer (10nt+) cruises than shorter ones. Nothing like the sound of a wake.

OK -- to the practical issues. The FO cabins aft will give you about as much space as you'll ever get in an inside cabin. We've stayed in those on the Galaxy (pre-M-Class ships) and it's pretty nice. If you drop down to even the CC cabins on the Century, the difference in a "CC" cabin between the Infinity aft and the Century is going to be pretty obvious. Smaller cabin, much smaller veranda. The CC cabins on Century as the size of a Cat2 on Infinity.

Being as spoiled as we are, the only way to get at least what you've just experienced is to go for the Sky Suite, and at that, you'll have what will feel like a pretty tiny veranda unless you can get up on the Sky Deck.

It's a tough call. There's nothing on the Century that's equivalent to what you experienced on the Infinity.

if you put me in an inner!!!! An oceanview is like being locked in a room with a window that doesn't open, I'd go nuts! Sure for 12 Princess cruises, we thought Caribe deck was heaven with the double size balcony, then we were upgraded as Platinum to mini suites which started as great with butler, free mini bar, slippers with robes for the lousy balcony covering. But then Carnival showed up & away went the extras from butler to slippers.

So we are back on "X" after 2 Meridian cruises to Bermuda in '90 & '93, then we never heard from the cruiseline & only got credit for 1 not 2. Like I really held receipts from 12-15 years ago!!!! Can't get Citibank VISA to assist with a purchase a year ago.

But we are now AFT CC cruisers & no less. No way would we ever venture off M Class ships til they build Challenger Class, but that may be when C class ships go to other cruiselines so they become the new C Class. Even a double size 2C won't due for me what AFT CC does. Put the bed out there for a great sleep under the stars. But then it stormed, we got soaked as did the bed, so never again!

So until "X" can outdo AFT CC, that is my home away from home.

So that's why we never saw you again! Honestly, just get me on a ship and we will have fun! You do the research, Tammy, and keep me up to date. I now have three birthday celebrations booked for Tarpon Springs, so I am all set for now.:D Pappa's, here we come!!

Hi Everyone !

I agree with what most everyone has said. Just put me on a Cruise ship (especially a Celebrity ship) and I am happy. The cabin itself is not crucial to me. The Cruise experience itself, is my happiness !

Has anyone who enjoyed their balcony as much as/ more than any other part of the cruise been happy with an OV later? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. :) Thanks

Unlike most CC'ers we tend to spend a great deal of time in our cabin.

We had a balcony suite on the Galaxy followed by an aft balcony cabin on the Infinity. Then we decided to book the balcony-less Horizon for our trip last March. I admit that I found myself longing for a balcony many times during the trip even though we were in a suite. Now it didn't ruin our trip or anything as we had a fabulous time. However I was a bit surprised how much I missed being able to pop out onto the balcony whenever I felt like it.

My general thinking is that it is worth trying out the other ships in Celebrity's fleet even if it means that you have to forgo having a balcony. The Century is a terrific ship.

tarheel, I agree with you, we started with inside cabins, then tried OV, once we had a balcony we never went back to the others. To us it is worth the extra cost to be able to just open the door and sit out there watching the ocean and relax and enjoy. I guess you could try the OV again and see if you can stand just looking out the port hole. Good luck and happy cruising. ;)

I had a regular balcony booked on Princess on an itinerary we loved and couldn't stand the thought of not having an aft...cancelled Princess and now am sooo looking forward to my 3rd "M" class aft on an itinerary we don't care about. We had an aft on our 14 day Panama Canal and did become hermits...it is a home away from home. We get on the ship and RUN to the back to our cabin.

To whoever slept outside...we were thinking of doing that, too, but did you really pull the bed out there? You're joking, right? We were thinking of just the padded loungers...

We've had juinior suite, aft verandah, regular verandah,O/V and I/S. I have to say it depends on the ship and itinerary and location of cabin. While we love a verandah (Westerdam, CCL Legend,NCL Sun,RCL Enchantment,Costa Med etc) , our first X cruise on the Mercury was an inside on Sky deck. The location was so close to the deck that the verandah was unimportant. We poured our drinks in our cabin and were out on deck in a lounger in less than a minute. With the huge premium for a verandah on the older X ships I could almost pay for another cruise. Now if my inside were on deck 2 or 3 with no access to the outside I would not be very happy. Right now I have 4 cruises booked 2 are insides on high decks with outside access and 2 are oceanviews.

Archived