PG 6/11/05 review

JulieMac

PG 6/11/05 review

Just returned from Paradise! Here is my review of my experience, I’ll try to keep it brief.

We chose the 10 day Tuamotu itinerary since it offered something a little different from the usual 7 day itinerary. We went on the 7 day cruise 2 years ago and it was so perfect that we had to come back, but wanted to see something new.

Below I will explain our trip and excursions day by day, then comment on some general notes on the ship.

Day 1 was in Huahine. We chose to arrange an excursion that our Cruise Critic friend “texed” had suggested: Marc’s motu picnic tour. This turned out to be one of the best excursions we had! He took us around the island by boat and stopped at a pearl farm (I am STILL kicking myself for not buying pearls there, they had the best prices in all FP!). We went drift snorkeling and had a wonderful lunch on a motu with a demonstration on how to make poisson cru. Then he took us to the ruins of a resort destroyed by a tornado 7 years ago, it was quite dramatic to see how the jungle reclaimed the land so quickly. Then we went to a shark feeding where we could get in the water with the sharks and watch them feed. Overall, it was a great experience and excellent value for the price.

Day 2 was in Raiatea. We had selected the clear kayak excursion. This was fun, but the wind and current was a little strong, making kayaking a little challenging. It was difficult to maneuver the boat into the waves, while trying to keep away from the shallow coral, also while trying to enjoy the view beneath us.

That afternoon we had a bridge tour. That was one of the highlights of the cruise. Perhaps it was because our guide, Ship’s Mate Rafal Ulanowski was such a charming and funny guy, but he gave us an extensive explanation of all ship systems and equipment. It was very educational.

Day 3 was at sea in the morning, arriving at Rangiroa mid-day. This was the only day where the weather was not ideal. It was overcast, with the occasional sprinkle. Still very warm and comfortable, but no sun. The time at sea was nice to relax, but it should be noted that the PG does pitch and roll in the seas. Due to the flat bottomed hull (designed to go in the lagoons of FP) the ship is much less stable than other ship in the swells. It does bother some people.

Arriving in Rangiroa is quite impressive. There is a very narrow channel to enter the atoll. It takes considerable skill to maneuver the ship through it. Once inside, I was astounded at the size of the atoll, you could not even see the other side of it. It was enormous.

When we arrived in Rangiroa, we were told that there was a beach to go to, so he got the shuttle to the beach. It should be noted that this is not what you might consider a “nice” beach. It is a narrow strip of coral sand. In retrospect I think I would have rather spent my time visiting the town of Rangiroa.

Day 4 was at Rangiroa in the morning, leaving that afternoon. In the morning we selected the excursion to the black pearl farm. This was excellent. The majority of black pearls comes from the Tuamotus, and this tour gave us the opportunity to see the actual operation. They explained the process of how the oysters are grown and harvested, then got to see how the bring in the oysters, crack them open, implant the nucleus, and send them back out to grow. The percentage of oysters that actually produce a pearl is small, and those that produce a “good” pearl is extremely rare. It is easy to see why they are so expensive. It is a labor and time intensive process.

That afternoon we went back to sea, again the ship pitched and rolled.

Day 5 was at Bora Bora. We had done several excursions last time we were in Bora Bora, so this time we spent time exclusively at the Bora Bora motu. This is a beautiful beach. They do not provide food or facilities on the beach, but there is an open bar and snacks. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the beauty of Bora Bora. I highly recommend taking advantage of it.

Day 6 Bora Bora again. More motu. Soooooo nice.

Day 7 at Motu Mahana, or as I call it “the Motu to Go To”. All I can say is get in line early for the first tender, and stay till the last tender. This day is pure heaven. Great lunch, open bar (even a floating bar!), pina coladas served in fresh coconuts, snorkeling, sun bathing, kayaking. It’s all the perfect recipe for fun and relaxation.

Day 8 at Moorea. We chose the Lagoon Snorkel tour this day. It was a nice trip that takes you around Oponohu Bay, then to a sting ray and shark feeding spot. Then to a lovely lagoon with some of the best snorkeling I had yet seen.

Day 9 again in Moorea. We went on the Aito off road adventure. This was a great excursion! As long as you can handle some seriously bumpy roads. We visited a pineapple plantation, a vanilla farm and the Belevedere lookout point. Then we went up a long bumpy road to a spectacular mountain top view of Oponohu Bay and the lagoon. Then they took us to the local distillery to sample the liquors. Happy hour! It was a really fun trip.

Day 10 was departure day in Tahiti. Since our flight was not until 10 at night, they first took us on a tour around Tahiti. Frankly we found this tour frustrating. We stopped at a Polynesian museum which was interesting, but our guide took a looooong time to explain each exhibit. It got boring. We finally got to the Radisson hotel about 3:30. It was a very nice hotel. The rooms were lovely and they have a gorgeous black sand beach. We had one last beautiful sunset before heading home.

Final comments on the crew, food and service. I have heard some complaints on Cruise Critic before about the move towards all Filipino crew. This was apparent on the PG, however I found the service level to be of the highest standard. The Filipino crew was courteous and friendly, and did not encounter any language problems. In fact many of the crew was still there from our trip two years ago. Jonathon the bartender even remembered us. Franco, the Maitre’D was superb as usual. I learned that the crew turnover rate on the PG is the lowest in the industry, so that says a lot about the commitment of the crew.

I thought the food was as good as I remembered it. Especially in Apicius. I am disappointed to learn that they will be changing the format. I had not heard that while on board. We had dinner with the Hotel Director Philippe one night and I would have asked him about that. Still, I was impressed with the food and also with the wine served with dinner.

I also want to say a note about Michael Shapiro the cruise director. At first I thought he was a little abrasive and annoying. But I became impressed with the skill he has at dealing with the passengers on board. People complain about the most amazing things. He said some were complaining to him about the Tuamotus, because there was no shopping. It's in the middle of nowhere! What do you expect?! But he handles it all with grace. He's a real asset to the ship.

Honestly I was a little worried about the level of service and experience going downhill with the new owners in place. We only noticed one change that made us frown, and a minor one at that. At the open bar cocktail parties like the captain’s reception, last time you could order any drink, including top shelf liquors. My husband went to order a Grey Goose martini and was told they would not pour Grey Goose. Stoli was the best they would offer. I minor complaint, I know. But a small hint of policy change that may be a sign of more to come.

Overall, we had a fabulous time. It was everything I had hoped for. My husband and I agreed, that assuming the PG is still under RSSC control in 2 years, we will be back again! I just can’t imagine a better vacation.

JulieMac

Archived