Cruising in Asia during Aus Dec/Jan holidays

Hi there

I'm posting this on the Australian boards even though it's an Asian cruise as I wanted to get some advice from Aussies who may have done a similar cruise.

We are thinking of doing a cruise from Singapore in early January on Celebrity Millenium, and will have 4 teenagers with us. Has anyone any experience of this?

Would there many kids (specifically teenagers 15 - 17) aboard? I have heard the demographic is mostly Aus, US , European and UK, but other than Aussies it's not school holidays for the others. We don't need hoardes of teens, but enough for them to have a good time.

Also, we have done 2 Royal Caribbean cruises, Pacific Islands, and NZ, which the kids loved, and wonder if Celebrity may be too adult for them? I think they would enjoy the Asian ports but want to ensure they still have a great time on the ship.

Any feedback appreciated.

You might want to also post this question on the family forum board.

I'm guessing there will not be heaps of teenagers. However with four they can keep eachother company and if there are not many others then the staff at the club can maybe taylor the experience for them specifically.

You might want to also post this question on the family forum board.

I'm guessing there will not be heaps of teenagers. However with four they can keep eachother company and if there are not many others then the staff at the club can maybe taylor the experience for them specifically.

I agree, I think there will be enough onboard to keep them occupied.:D

Whats the weather like in Dec/Jan up there?

When do the typhoons roll in?

When they dont cruise:)

Asian cruises follow the weather, When its bad weather in the east they cruise in the west.

In July its bad weather in Phuket but perfect weather in Koh Samui which is hard to comprehend given the distance between the two places is much less than Sydney to Melbourne.

Hi Cassicruiser,

We did an Asian cruise a few years ago - 28 nights, Sydney to Hong Kong, on the Zaandam (HAL). It was a b2b (Sydney - Singapore, and Singapore - Hong Kong). It departed Sydney 23rd December and arrived in HK in time for Chinese NY in late January.

From memory there were about 200 kids on the first leg, and a few less on the second. Keep in mind that this was out of a total of about 1500 pax, so a reasonably high proportion for HAL. There were lots of families, and I guess the fact that there was only the one international airfare needed for the Aussies made it reasonably affordable.

Millenium is a bigger ship, but the demographic would not be too dissimilar to HAL. If it is school holidays, then my guess is there will be quite a few kids on the cruise.

Cheers,

When they dont cruise:)

Asian cruises follow the weather, When its bad weather in the east they cruise in the west.

Wishful thinking but it can't be avoided.

See http://www.travelpulse.com/voyages-to-antiquity-cancels-20132014-southeast-asia-cruise-program.html

On a smaller scale, larger ships in RCL and P&O have also been affected by the bad weather up north then.

We are thinking of doing a cruise from Singapore in early January on Celebrity Millenium, and will have 4 teenagers with us. Has anyone any experience of this?

Would there many kids (specifically teenagers 15 - 17) aboard? I have heard the demographic is mostly Aus, US , European and UK, but other than Aussies it's not school holidays for the others. We don't need hoardes of teens, but enough for them to have a good time.

When Millennium operated here a few years back, it had around 500 children each sailing over the Dec/Jan holiday period.

While this is further afield so numbers will be less, I wouldn't expect it to be 0.

Also, with that many children on board it does have decent children's club services. It doesn't have all the youthful facilities of RCL, but they run a good program for younger children, and older ones have similar hangout facilities to RCL.

Thanks so much everyone for your great replies - it sounds like I don't need to worry too much. If as Carina says, there were around 200 on HAL, I would assume Celebrity would be at least that amount. Even if only 50 or so of them are older teenagers that would be more than enough. Teenagers tend to just hang out anyway, and as 2 of our 4 are sporty boys, there's a basketball court which should keep them happy.

As for the weather, I believe that the west coast of Malaysia has great weather in Jan, and the East coast (which is not where we will be cruising) has typhoons at that time. Bali is rainy season, but still warm, and generally rainy season doesn't mean torrential rain. Phuket should be good in January too. So I'm not too fussed about the weather.

Any insight into Millennium as a ship (for teens and otherwise), compared with Radiance and Rhapsody of the seas? Or maybe I need to post that on the Celebrity boards....

Thanks so much everyone for your great replies - it sounds like I don't need to worry too much. If as Carina says, there were around 200 on HAL, I would assume Celebrity would be at least that amount. Even if only 50 or so of them are older teenagers that would be more than enough. Teenagers tend to just hang out anyway, and as 2 of our 4 are sporty boys, there's a basketball court which should keep them happy.

As for the weather, I believe that the west coast of Malaysia has great weather in Jan, and the East coast (which is not where we will be cruising) has typhoons at that time. Bali is rainy season, but still warm, and generally rainy season doesn't mean torrential rain. Phuket should be good in January too. So I'm not too fussed about the weather.

Any insight into Millennium as a ship (for teens and otherwise), compared with Radiance and Rhapsody of the seas? Or maybe I need to post that on the Celebrity boards....

Enjoy.:D

Archived