Hubby's going to dress in his formal blues!!!

Sablerose

Sable, yeah, we should get together sometime and we can "cruise-talk", as I think I drive everybody crazy talking bout it;) ! Well, I think the vote is for him to stand proud with the blues on and I am sure you will find something just as beautiful. BTW, you mentioned new wife, if you don't mind, how long have you been married? I think all of us posters are getting excited for your husband's return! Again, I am so thankful for all the servicemen and servicewomen, and their families back home who are without them. It is tough on the one's serving and tough on the one's waiting for their healthy return! God bless!

Keep my e-mail address & we will get together sometime: LILMSONRY1@COX.NET

Woohoo!

As for being a new wife, we've only been married since 1/9/04. We met on 1/3/03, got married 1/9/04, and ten days later he left for our first married TDY. As this is the second marriage for each of us (no kids), we thought we didn't need to "make a big deal out of it." But now we're feeling the need to just get away, since we never really did!

So this trip is a pretty big deal for us, it's like our delayed honeymoon! :)

Now I just have to keep losing weight so I can fit in something SLIMMER by the time we go! Woo hoo!

My husband has been in the Marine Corps for 20+ years and although I am sure that your DH would look wonderful in his uniform and YES we are all PROUD of our service members, however, I don't it is a good idea to wear any related military uniform while out of the country. Usually the ships are not registred in the US and we are sailing to a foreign country. It is important to blend in with everyone while abroad. Good luck and I hope all works well for you and your family.

:) :)

Like another poster said.....IT'S DINNER for cripes sake.:rolleyes:

I dont know about the Air Force but in the Navy the difference between Dress Blues and Dinner Dress Blues (for formal dinners) was you wore only your ribbons on your Dress Blues and you wore Miniture Medals and ribbons (if there was no medal for the award) on Dinner Dress Blues.

There was also a fancy Tuxedo like dinner dress that senior people wore but junior enlisted and junior officers were not forced to buy them and would wear their regular dress uniform but with the miniture medals and maybe a bow tie.

You might want to check to see if it is the same for the Air Force. Of course no one is really going to be checking your husbands uniform to see if he is dressed per regulation for a formal dinner. But he might want to be properly dressed as a matter of pride.

Oh, and as far as wearing your uniform on board. Yes we live in bad times but I dont think terrorists are riding cruise ships trying to figure out which passengers are US Servicemen so they can target them. Citing that as a reason NOT to wear a uniform to a formal dinner is a little over the top.

I have been all over the world with the Navy including the middle east and yes we did not wear our uniforms when we were off the ship because we did not want to stick out but the reality was, none of us spoke the language, every one of us had short, short hair cuts, no beards, were clean shaven and neatly dressed. It would not take a rocket scientist terrorist to figure out which people walking around town came from the US Navy ship in the harbor.

I say, wear the uniform with pride knowing that you will stick out in the crowd and allow the other passengers the pleasure of seeing one of our fine American servicemen IN UNIFORM (which is a treat a lot of Americans that dont live near bases dont get often). It will make them feel proud too.

Though we had to buy our own drinks all night (haha - just kidding, we didn't care :p ), we had a really great time when my fiance wore his class A's to both of the formal night dinners. It really is a great conversation starter - we met some wonderful people who thanked him for his service and spoke of their own time spent in the military. And from a female's perspective, I loved being on his arm all night - let's face it ladies, who doesn't love a man in uniform? He got a lot of stares from the ladies all night! A girl on the Lido Deck wait staff even came over to me, gave me a thumbs up and said "nice catch!"

Sablerose, I'm excited for you! You will have such a nice time.

As an aside, I have a silly story that is uniform-dress related. The second formal night on our Valor cruise, I bet my fiance that if we went to any of the bars on the ship and I left his side and hung out across the room, girls would approach him and start talking to him - women love a man in uniform! So of course, he had to pick the bar with the least amount of people around - the Lido Deck bar :rolleyes: . Anyway, since there was NO foot traffic going through that bar, of course no one approached him to talk to him other than a few men who came up to thank him for his service. Pretty soon, we were bored so we started making eyes at each other from across the bar. Then I told the waiter I wanted to buy him a drink. After the waiter told him who bought him the drink, he winked at me. At that point, the people sitting next to me were watching us with fascination at our making eyes across the bar and they turned to me and told me "You should go talk to him! He's so cute and seems interested in you!"

Hahahhah if only they knew. He and I started cracking up and we had to leave the bar. Those poor people were like "whaaaat?"

Joedog, thanks muchly - yeah, I don't have to worry about the Uniform deal because my hubby is INSANELY meticulous about his uniform, and he'll know what we need to get or not get, what he should wear or not wear. Even his BDUs are pressed and creased and perfect. He's a model Airman.

And! WeatherGeek! What a fabbo story! I think that's totally fun, and it might just be something I tell my hubs when we get on the ship. Heh. I totally can't wait to be on his arm in his uniform, and I TOTALLY agree that the girls definitely make passes at boys in uniform!

Woohoo!

I wanted to thank you guys for all the great tips so far and help with all my questions. I got to talk to my husband yesterday and he says it would probably be a nice thing if he would dress for formal night, in his Dress Blues.

That makes me really excited, because even when we got married he didn't wear his Blues. I'm so proud of him and think he looks so handsome when he's all gussied up.

Do you think this will make a big stir, with him in his blues? Do you guys often see men in their formal Military Dress on formal nights? I think a little attention and appreciation would do him some good (he's usually very uncomfortable making a "big deal" out of his military service, although I DO think it's a very big deal)... we shouldn't expect any negative attention or anything, should we?

Can you relate stories of when you've seen active-duty men dressed in their formal uniforms, on ship?

Thank you so much everybody. You're keeping me going and really giving me something fabulous to look forward to. If I could only find anyone who was going to be on our ship at our time! :)

Sable...my hubby just retired (two weeks ago) as a colonel in the USAFR and

I assure you his uniform is very suitable. I'm not sure if he's enlisted or an officer...if he's an officer it would be his mess uniform...enlisted, his dress blues. Have a wonderful cruise!

I remember when you use to see service men in their uniforms on a regular basis. You would almost always see them in airports. Now you seldom see a man or should I say person in uniform. It must have been around the early 70's when this changed. I think it's awesome that your husband will dress in his formal blues. It definately makes my heart feel good and proud to see our servicemen.

Thank you...

We just got back from an Alaskan Cruise and my husband wore his Officer's Mess Dress. He looked great and the formal pics of him with our 2 dd's were priceless! We actually had a bet in the beginning of the evening how many people would ask for directions b/c his uniform was very similar to the ship staff! ( turned out to be 5.... I lost and had to buy drinks!) It was funny to see the people at dinner wondering how I got the ship's crew to walk around with my fussy 12 mo old! Enjoy your cruise and be proud to wear your uniform!

Carnival has a special cruise rate for the Military...current active duty and honorably discharged vets. It saved us over $600 on our upcoming Liberty transatlantic.

I hope your DH wears his blues & he got the military rate!!

Times may have changed, but there is no reason not to be proud of the service our loved ones have done for our country. I say wear the uniform, but he'll probably be upstaging you the entire night. lol Which is why my brother is banned from wearing his Marine dress blues from my wedding. :-)

Dana

Ah, but that's the thing. He won't be upstaging me -- I will look like the Belle of the Ball to be on the arm of such a handsome hunk.

I'm also blessed that in this day and age so many people are cognizant of the trials that military wives and families go through. I'm kind of used to being in a support role - no reason why I shouldn't be at dinner, too! :D

By upstaged I mean, he looks better in his uniform than you do in your dress. Of COURSE you're going to enjoy that lovely man on your arm!! :-) My brother happens to look good in civies and his uniform, and he KNOWS it. I can't blame the Corps for that one, but they didn't help either, lol.

Dana

What a fabulous picture, Tonya!!

I agree great picture! Maybe we can all post our pictures when we return? I hope my eyes are open in ours....in 9 out of 10 pictures my eyes are closed!

Sablerose: I agree with all the others who say he should wear his uniform. He will look fantastic!!!

My DH would be in line to shake his hand and buy him (and you!!) a drink. We were in the DFW airport a few weeks ago and there were military personnel coming home. American Airlines gives them priority boarding (I'm sure the other airlines do this, too). Anyway, while waiting to board, my DH shook hands with the guys and thanked them for their service. They seemed quite suprised by it....but my DH didn't get the same treatment when he returned from Viet Nam and he definitely wants to show support! When they announced early boarding for military personnel, everyone waiting clapped and whistled!

Bottom line: Tell him to wear it and be proud, because we are proud of our military!!!

If it were at all possible for you guys to make me prouder of my husband and prouder to be his wife, you do it, every day.

I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful stories and the amazing encouragement and kind words.

Thank you so much.

I was at Sea World today and they had this big salute to servicemen and women as part of their Shamu The Killer Whale Show. They had all military families stand to receive applause and then played a moving short film/commercial.

My nephew has a father who was a US Congressman. Before you get upset, listen to the rest of my story. He served as a soldier in Operation Desert Storm (1991). His reserve unit delivered water to the troops. (NOT a cushy job)! Then when he was older, he was called back to service in Iraq. Anyway, he went on a cruise with his three daughters last winter. When he wore his dress "BLues" into the formal dinner, there was a standing ovation. Go for it. You all deserve it!

My nephew has a father who was a US Congressman. Before you get upset, listen to the rest of my story. He served as a soldier in Operation Desert Storm (1991). His reserve unit delivered water to the troops. (NOT a cushy job)! Then when he was older, he was called back to service in Iraq. Anyway, he went on a cruise with his three daughters last winter. When he wore his dress "BLues" into the formal dinner, there was a standing ovation. Go for it. You all deserve it!
Yeah! Great story,thanks for sharing.

Sablerose: I agree with all the others who say he should wear his uniform. He will look fantastic!!!

My DH would be in line to shake his hand and buy him (and you!!) a drink. We were in the DFW airport a few weeks ago and there were military personnel coming home. American Airlines gives them priority boarding (I'm sure the other airlines do this, too). Anyway, while waiting to board, my DH shook hands with the guys and thanked them for their service. They seemed quite suprised by it....but my DH didn't get the same treatment when he returned from Viet Nam and he definitely wants to show support! When they announced early boarding for military personnel, everyone waiting clapped and whistled!

Bottom line: Tell him to wear it and be proud, because we are proud of our military!!!

That's so nice of your hubby...

We've been approached before when hubby has been in his BDU's or dress uniform. People have just walked up and thanked him for his service. It's kinda awkward at first, because my husband doesn't make a big deal out of it, but I think it is wonderful that people do that. It makes you feel good that someone really does care.

HOOAH!

Archived