Cruising with an ostomy

I had a colostomy several months ago and I am going on my very first cruise to Alaska next summer. While I'm not disabled or mobility impaired, there are now certain things I need to mindful about when I'm going about the business of living my life. I have a couple of questions about going on a cruise with an ostomy that maybe someone here can answer:

Am I required to report to the ship's clinic that I will need to dispose of my waste pouches in my stateroom bathroom? I don't know how often trash is taken away from the rooms on a daily basis, but if it is only once a day should I make arrangements with the housekeeping staff to come more frequently? I usually make a pouch change twice a day, especially if I'll be swimming. I already swim and have a routine that ensures that there won't be a "problem" in the water. I want to be able to enjoy myself but also practice good manners.

I'd be most grateful if there are any ostomates (or spouses/partners of ostimates) who could share their experiences. Apologies in advance if this has been asked before.

I don't have an ostomy myself but as an RN who formerly worked home health, I have a fair amount of experience with them. ;) You have probably thought of these suggestions already but just in case:

- Be sure you take PLENTY of supplies. I'd suggest taking at least double of what you anticipate needing - if you run out, you can't count on being able to resupply at the ports you hit, and ostomy problems could ruin your cruise. Also, take several days' supply in your carryon in case something happens to your checked luggage.

- Whatever problems you have experienced, be sure to take along meds or equipment to fix. At a minimum, take some kind of antiseptic cream in case your stoma becomes irritated. (Stress aggravates all problems, and even though a cruise is a pleasant stress, it's still stress!)

- I'd make a point of stopping by the sick bay just to say hi and let them know you have an ostomy, even though you manage it yourself. If something happened and you wound up needing their services, you wouldn't necessarily be able to mention the ostomy then.

Have a wonderful cruise!

My mother did not have an ostomy, but did use adult diapers. We always took along some plastic trash bags so could bag up, and tie closed the bags with used pads before putting into the cabin trash. I am sure the cabin steward appreciated this, and it eliminated any problems with odor. No need to alert the ship's infirmary, but i always let the cabin steward know the first day that we would be doing this so there were never any issues.

• 2 months later...

i have an illeostomy since i was 30 and cruised several times, starting on my 40th. no need to tell anyone, just pack double the appliances that you would normally use, when changing i rinse bag as normal and use scented disposal bags then place in bathroom bucket. i carry a card going through airports (when i remember) in different languages that explains my stoma and if i need to be searched please use private room.

A friend of mine had went on a regular hotel holiday, left a bag with her appliances on bathroom floor, the maid thought it was rubbish and through it out, she was devasted but contacted IA (illeostomy association) who sorted her out.

i always panick i will run out or lose but 20 cruises later never had a problem. looking forward to my 50th onboard.

after initial problems coming to terms i got used to it and now i do everything that i did before.

enjoy your cruise

Archived