Passport for a baby

pepsiwoman4711

All that typing and your last line proves exactly what I said in my post.. They will make an exception and won't deny a 6 month old US citizen entry back into the United States when the entire family has passports.

Not necessarily--the could also require the family to obtain an emergency passport (takes some time & costly)....only the US State Department can decide for sure. I'd check with them before sailing and ask if they would make an exception to the passport laws in case of emergency before assuming that they definitely would.

Not necessarily--the could also require the family to obtain an emergency passport (takes some time & costly)....only the US State Department can decide for sure. I'd check with them before sailing and ask if they would make an exception to the passport laws in case of emergency before assuming that they definitely would.

There is no we in the world Customs is going to say ok your 6 month old baby has to stay but you and the rest of your family can go. The hundreds of people who didn't have passports a few months ago when the cruise ship had a problem was allowed back into the country without a passport.

There are exceptions to the rule.

There is no we in the world Customs is going to say ok your 6 month old baby has to stay but you and the rest of your family can go. The hundreds of people who didn't have passports a few months ago when the cruise ship had a problem was allowed back into the country without a passport.

There are exceptions to the rule.

US Customs does not really come into the picture until you land back on US soil. Without a passport or official documentation from the State Department passengers (regardless of age) will not be allowed to board an aircraft to the US. The State Department could very well require one to obtain an emergency passport before allowing them to board a flight to the US. Again, I highly suggest checking with the US State Department about their policies before assuming they would make an exception. I'd rather know their exact stance before potentially being stranded in an emergency.

Yes, there was a blanket exception made for passengers on the Carnival ship in St Maarten. Carnival, a large & powerful corporation worked out an arrangement with the US Government. In an individual emergency most passengers are on their own to navigate the legalities.

For current passport guidance go to the State Dept Passport website:

Passports

Also many (most?) Post Offices can provide specific guidance on the requirements for infants as well as any other matters involving passports.

For those getting passports for toddlers, some on here suggested that the drug stores made it easy to get the passport photos (the part that intimidated me the most). They were very right. At the store they put DD in a shopping cart right in front of the backdrop and got great pictures.

Just thought I'd share for those getting one.

We just applied for one for our son 2 weeks ago who is 16 months, for his first cruise in September. Hope it comes soon! Normally I wouldn't bother, but if something were to happen, and we needed to fly home, he'd be left behind (not really, but just saying, my butt would not leave his side!).....so we went ahead and spent the extra $50 ($30 for the passport card, or $80 for the passport book). I want him to have some kind of ID, and we originally were going to get the passport card, but since it wouldn't do any good if we had to fly home, we got the booklet.

It's a simple peace of mind to have, if anything were to happen. And not just with you and/or your child, but also with the ship, if it had to dock anywhere for extended period of time (like the Carnival ship that had to do that in St. Marteen I believe it was)......just sayin'.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

We got our son's passport when he was just 8 months old, just didn't want to take a chance of not being able to fly out of a country if anything bad happened. Our cruise that year was on March 12; we ended up in the hospital the entire first week of March because he had a blood infection...don't want to even imagine that happening on vacation and not being able to get out of a Country that wouldn't have the first clue about treating him. I know it is a pain, but better to be safe than sorry.

Also, I would like to add we too had serious issue with our local post office (San Antonio). It took us three tries (closed/changed hours on a whim, etc). For a Branch of the Government that seems to be struggling you would think they would make more of an effort but I got every indication that they care nothing of the passport business...so they really need to get out of it. The day we finally got in, they were turning people away. They decided that day instead of going all day they were going to just cut the line at noon. The workers were rude and talking about customers out in front of everyone. And yes I did report it. I will go somewhere else next time.

Archived