Worst table companion you have had

[quote name='DesertPesce7751']Preach, Momo. Cruising isn't a competition; it's a holiday. I have a very competitive work environment and I cruise to get away from that sort of thing. Oh well, to each their own, right?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

Getting away is the best part and sea days are the most relaxing sometimes we don't get off the ship and call it an extra "sea" day.

[quote name='DesertPesce7751']Preach, Momo. Cruising isn't a competition; it's a holiday. I have a very competitive work environment and I cruise to get away from that sort of thing. Oh well, to each their own, right?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

Good thing because I would sure lose. We have done some nice cruises but we have done more of the shorter cruises-lol! Living close to FL makes it easier for us, we usually drive and do not have the expensive airfare. I see it this way-since we can save and take the shorter trips, that means every few years we can do something better. We have done the Caribbean so much now, that I just as soon save the money and take a shorter cruises than a week or longer cruise since I will not go to any new ports anyway.

We also love Myrtle Beach and go there OFF season after Labor Day in September since we can rent an ocean view condo for what we normally pay for a hotel room at a Hilton Fairfield Inn.

[quote name='momofmeg']Good thing because I would sure lose. We have done some nice cruises but we have done more of the shorter cruises-lol! Living close to FL makes it easier for us, we usually drive and do not have the expensive airfare. I see it this way-since we can save and take the shorter trips, that means every few years we can do something better. We have done the Caribbean so much now, that I just as soon save the money and take a shorter cruises than a week or longer cruise since I will not go to any new ports anyway.

We also love Myrtle Beach and go there OFF season after Labor Day in September since we can rent an ocean view condo for what we normally pay for a hotel room at a Hilton Fairfield Inn.[/QUOTE]

We have been to some ports so often we could lead guided tours but it's not just about the ports or we'd fly to them it's about the shipboard experience.

[quote name='Kentskie']We have been to some ports so often we could lead guided tours but it's not just about the ports or we'd fly to them it's about the shipboard experience.[/QUOTE]

Lol! My hubby likes to scuba. My daughter teaches, so we take short cruises with her, because when she can cruise it is pricier-(kids out of school)so we do one with her at least every couple of years. When I divide our number of cruises by cruise days it averages out 6 days a cruise-and this is in spite of the fact we have taken 2 twelve day cruises and one 10 day cruise. So yes, we have taken a lot of the shorter cruises. Hubby can still go diving on shorter cruises.

I just take it easy, do a little shopping when in port usually for the Caribbean or Bahamas. I do like the shipboard experience, but often I am not feeling well so I spend a lot of time in my cabin. But that is okay, my family can still have a nice vacation, and I can still go with them. the same goes for when we go and stay at Myrtle beach. I may not do a lot, but hubby still has a good time and I can still enjoy the balcony views. I'm happy!

[quote name='momofmeg']

We also love Myrtle Beach and go there OFF season after Labor Day in September since we can rent an ocean view condo for what we normally pay for a hotel room at a Hilton Fairfield Inn.[/QUOTE]

Duh me! It is Marriott that has the Fairfield Inns. Hilton is affiliated with another motel line,is it Hampton? I can't remember-lol! but we often stay there because we know we will get a decent room and continental breakfast.

Lol! My hubby likes to scuba. My daughter teaches, so we take short cruises with her, because when she can cruise it is pricier-(kids out of school)so we do one with her at least every couple of years. When I divide our number of cruises by cruise days it averages out 6 days a cruise-and this is in spite of the fact we have taken 2 twelve day cruises and one 10 day cruise. So yes, we have taken a lot of the shorter cruises. Hubby can still go diving on shorter cruises.

I just take it easy, do a little shopping when in port usually for the Caribbean or Bahamas. I do like the shipboard experience, but often I am not feeling well so I spend a lot of time in my cabin. But that is okay, my family can still have a nice vacation, and I can still go with them. the same goes for when we go and stay at Myrtle beach. I may not do a lot, but hubby still has a good time and I can still enjoy the balcony views. I'm happy!

I think the great thing about going to ports multiple times is that we always discover something new and you get to know people there. Our favorite bartender in Puerto Vallarta for example. We always have our picture taken with him and he's been a part of our Christmas cards for years.

Duh me! It is Marriott that has the Fairfield Inns. Hilton is affiliated with another motel line,is it Hampton? I can't remember-lol! but we often stay there because we know we will get a decent room and continental breakfast.

When I was a kid I read continental breakfast as continual breakfast and thought they served it all day.:o

John Heald on his blog calls his hotel something like the: Hyarriothiltaton

The mix is wrong and he does it better but it's something like that. His blog is hysterical.

My Wife and I are not the couple you want to be seated with! We go on cruises to be with each other. WE HATE TO BE SEATED AT A TABLE WITH STRANGERS!!! We could not care less about your kids, grandkids, job, home, dog, cat, pet monkey or car. Sorry but that's just how it is. We spend most of our time in our cabin on the balcony. We only go out to eat or to go to the ports. I have made this statement before and had the full gambit of posts about not going to MDR or not cruising at all. Also having just as many posts from people who feel the same way. I do not understand the reasoning behind the cruise line wanting to force people into these situations. I have been lucky so far because the first thing I do when I get on the ship is head to the Maitre’d and request a table for two.

I think you are being very honest, and how you choose to eat, and with whom, on your vacation is your business.

It sounds like you avoid the MDR, or ask for a table for two, so you are not impacting other people by your choice not to share conversations. I guess the only issue would be if circumstances force you to share a table.

On my first cruise, we chose early dining, not realizing it would be primarily older people or families with young kids. We were seated with a group 3 or 4 older people who were clearly traveling together. At the end of the first day, one of them asked another about the weather. Seems he hadn't left his cabin all day. This pretty much negated the "what did you do in port today" small talk.

We switched to late dinner in order to be seated with people who at least cared to take note of the weather on their cruise!!

On my first cruise, we chose early dining, not realizing it would be primarily older people or families with young kids. We were seated with a group 3 or 4 older people who were clearly traveling together. At the end of the first day, one of them asked another about the weather. Seems he hadn't left his cabin all day. This pretty much negated the "what did you do in port today" small talk.

We switched to late dinner in order to be seated with people who at least cared to take note of the weather on their cruise!!

I was on a cruise where I had an outside cabin there was a hall to the main corridor so the cabin next to mine was an inside. I slid a note under their door each morning with the weather report on it.

I think you are being very honest, and how you choose to eat, and with whom, on your vacation is your business.

It sounds like you avoid the MDR, or ask for a table for two, so you are not impacting other people by your choice not to share conversations. I guess the only issue would be if circumstances force you to share a table.

We always request a table for two. Not that we are antisocial we aren't and always make friends on board. I love people and love talking. But it's just that with anytime dining and large groups you have to introduce yourself every time and go through the ritual. On one cruise a person travelling alone that we met ate in the specialty dining rooms every night for that reason. It's easier with a table for two because we already know each other. ;) Plus we are so busy at home that we love spending time with just each other.

Archived