Wheelchair entry for The Vatican

Kelv_2013

Njguy_south. Thanks for the info. Any concerns we had before have just about disappeared, thanks to all the help and advice we have got here. I only wish I had come across Cruise Critic years ago. Without that Im not sure we would have arranged our private tours at all and would still be left wondering how best to explore France and Italy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is not too late for you, only joined cc yesterday! I went to the Vatican in my wheelchair a couple of years ago, we joined the queue but were soon soon spotted and removed quickly to the entrance where we were taken to a desk for special assistance. Can't remember exact prices but I do remember my husband as carer was free and my student daughter a reduced price (she had her ID) Only problem is chairs do the tour backwards! You go by lift to the tour finish and then tour in the opposite direction to the other visitors and if it is busy!! We didn't know we were in the cistenelchapel until we were told off for taking photographs and talking! I saw almost everywhere if my memory serves me right and at a much reduced price and no queueing. Re coliseum I went in and the other 2 left me (as usual) to look around but at least I got inside with no problems. Hope this helps

Hope this is not too late for you, only joined cc yesterday! I went to the Vatican in my wheelchair a couple of years ago, we joined the queue but were soon soon spotted and removed quickly to the entrance where we were taken to a desk for special assistance. Can't remember exact prices but I do remember my husband as carer was free and my student daughter a reduced price (she had her ID) Only problem is chairs do the tour backwards! You go by lift to the tour finish and then tour in the opposite direction to the other visitors and if it is busy!! We didn't know we were in the cistenelchapel until we were told off for taking photographs and talking! I saw almost everywhere if my memory serves me right and at a much reduced price and no queueing. Re coliseum I went in and the other 2 left me (as usual) to look around but at least I got inside with no problems. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info Morrissophie7. No, it isn't too late, we don't go until this coming weekend. I have now bought tickets for the children, where necessary and am confident that with the help of our private tour guide (through RomeinLimo) things should run smoothly when we get to the Vatican Museums. If, as you experienced I find its easier to hang around at the Colisseum while the others go exploring I'm okay with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on a Travel Scoot and am in a quandary. I have booked Romeinlimo for a tour and guide for the Vatican and for the Colliseum but no one on my cruise has indicated an interest...so it will be just the two of us...very costly.

If we took the Transfer to Rome shore excursion from Holland America, should we buy tickets on line or, because I am mobility challenged, we will get in free.

Not understanding these posts fully!

I'm on a Travel Scoot and am in a quandary. I have booked Romeinlimo for a tour and guide for the Vatican and for the Colliseum but no one on my cruise has indicated an interest...so it will be just the two of us...very costly.

If we took the Transfer to Rome shore excursion from Holland America, should we buy tickets on line or, because I am mobility challenged, we will get in free.

Not understanding these posts fully!

It's my understanding after having checked the Vatican website and read thru this thread, that you would not need to pre-purchase tickets. However there is no assurance as to the wait time that you will have to incur before being provided entry to the Vatican tour . Getting free tickets does not assure you a fast forward to the front of the line though some of posted that did occur in some situations.

Therefore, if you are on a restricted time line that does not allow you a lot of flexibility than only you can decide if you want to pre-purchase tickets.

It's my understanding after having checked the Vatican website and read thru this thread, that you would not need to pre-purchase tickets. However there is no assurance as to the wait time that you will have to incur before being provided entry to the Vatican tour . Getting free tickets does not assure you a fast forward to the front of the line though some of posted that did occur in some situations.

Therefore, if you are on a restricted time line that does not allow you a lot of flexibility than only you can decide if you want to pre-purchase tickets.

Thank you...that answers that! I will pre-purchase tickets. And hopefully someone will spot my Travel Scoot and show us the handicapped access.

Thank you...that answers that! I will pre-purchase tickets. And hopefully someone will spot my Travel Scoot and show us the handicapped access.

I went with my wife and children last week and we too went with RomeinLimo on a private tour with Vatican tour guide (Frederica). I only pre purchased a ticket for my 18yo daughter. My wife, younger son and I went free and Frederica saw to the tickets for us at the desk. She also showed us through the wheelchair entry, we bypassed the queues and had a fantastic time.Imo RomeinLimo are worth every penny. We used them the day after at Naples.

Prior to our cruise I emailed the Vatican museums and they wrote back telling me tickets for carer and myself would be free. If you do go with the HA trip into Rome you could go to the Special Permits desk with that email,with proof of disability/ID and I would like to think you will get free tickets and the assistance you need. Although we did have our own tour guide, when a member of staff did talk to us it was in English.

Innlady1,

I got email from Vatican indicating that a US handicap driving placard would suffice for proof of disability and you would not wait in line and go directly to Special Permits desk for you and one other. I would recommend that you get email from Vatican museum and taKe it with you along with id.

Good luck.

After reading all these very helpful posts on the Vatican and sightseeing in Rome --- I see several mentions of "showing disability papers to get free tkts and by-pass the lines for admittance --- we are from New York state --- and I have no idea what "Disability Papers" are referring to --- the only thing we have in the states are "hang tags" for HC parking spaces. Thanks so much.

Thanks, Katrina --- guess you and I posted at the same time.

Hello. I had a feeling Katrina would reply. We have both been talking via this thread and with me being British she is best placed to talk about (US) disability papers. When we went a couple of weeks ago I took with me a copy of my (UK) disabled parking badge and a copy of the Vatican email, but the chap at the Special Permits desk just appeared to want some ID proof that my name matched the email. We did have an Italian tour guide to help us but at no point was I asked to produce any paperwork in relation to my disability. I guess the wheelchair was evidence enough.

Archived