The gorgeous beaches of the BVI

blue_water

Blue Water.......I hate to be a pain but I have another question, we will be in Tortola from 8:30 - 5:30, if we decided to just stay on Virgin Gorda are there other things to besides The Baths, would we be bored if we just hung out on VG? Like while at the Baths are there beaches around for us to relax on or maybe another beach on VG to go hang out on? I am having a tough time deciding on whether to stay on VG only or do an excursion sailing. Thanks again for your help.

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

First let me thank you for all this great info.

My question is concerning chair rental and umbrella's. Do you have any idea what the cost is on CGB or Brewer's bay?

Sorry I can't help but if you start a new thread someone will be able to.

Blue Water.......I hate to be a pain but I have another question, we will be in Tortola from 8:30 - 5:30, if we decided to just stay on Virgin Gorda are there other things to besides The Baths, would we be bored if we just hung out on VG? Like while at the Baths are there beaches around for us to relax on or maybe another beach on VG to go hang out on? I am having a tough time deciding on whether to stay on VG only or do an excursion sailing. Thanks again for your help.

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

It's a tough choice, and you do have enough time in port to do either. Devils Bay is at the other side of the Baths and you can relax there. We would walk back up to the Top of the Baths and continue walking to the turnoff to Spring Bay and relax there. Have the driver show you the road on the way to the Top of the Baths. Just a short easy walk to SB from that turn off.

Have the driver return at a set time and take you to the Mineshaft Cafe for a great lunch and their signature drink the Cave In. Spectacular panoramic view there as well. The driver will return and drop you at Spanishtown where you can shop then walk to the ferry terminal. You won't pay the driver until the end.

Great day that!

Bluewater, Thanks, I am actually going to print up that last post because I think that is what we are going to do. I am going to look for Dion or Egbert though when we get off the ship. Would you recommend eating at Top of the Baths, it just looks so pretty, or should we stick with the Mineshaft? Also do you know if we can swim in the pool at The Top of the Baths? We really just want to hang out and relax, so I'm sorry for so many questions. We actually just came off a 7 day RCCL Christmas Cruise with our kids, 15, 18 & 20, my sister, my 80 year old uncle who I am his care giver and my parents. This was a great trip but it was quite exhausting to say the least. Very physical excursions with the kids, hubby & sister, but sooo much fun!! On this trip my husband surprised me and told me he booked this B2B on Jewel for my 50th, so this will be a nice long relaxing trip for us alone. Thanks so much again. Your a good person to help so many with advice!!!

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

It's a tough choice, and you do have enough time in port to do either. Devils Bay is at the other side of the Baths and you can relax there. We would walk back up to the Top of the Baths and continue walking to the turnoff to Spring Bay and relax there. Have the driver show you the road on the way to the Top of the Baths. Just a short easy walk to SB from that turn off.

Have the driver return at a set time and take you to the Mineshaft Cafe for a great lunch and their signature drink the Cave In. Spectacular panoramic view there as well. The driver will return and drop you at Spanishtown where you can shop then walk to the ferry terminal. You won't pay the driver until the end.

Great day that!

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

No problem with the questions, I hate to see reports from some folks who stay on the ship or in the dock area and never experience the beauty of these islands so try to provide ideas as I can, thanks for the kind words!

Lunch at the Top of the Baths is a great idea, the views there are beautiful as you said. The pool is free, not very deep so it can be warm but definitely available.

The taxi drivers are easy to work with and can advise where to go if it's too crowded at the Baths. Spring Bay is close if it is busy and you'll find the same setting there to enjoy with fewer ppl. Or you can head back to Tortola after lunch and shop around the dock, Sunny Caribbee is a great spice shop.

You'll know what you want to do when you're there. Just relaxing and enjoying the views at the Top is a rough life!

• 3 weeks later...
Bluewater,

What are your thoughts on a day sail to Normands Island? We are looking at the Aristocrat charter from the ships dock area.

Thanks for all the helpful information.:)

That's a great day, I know many others have left great feedback on that itinerary and on Aristicat. Can't think of a better day!

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Water

What would you recommend on Tortola for family with boy 11, girl 13. Not particularly interested in snorkeling and my gut says the transit time to and from the baths would drive my son nuts. (when will we get there.. this is lame etc..).

Right now Tortola sounds like beaches/site seeing and I'm trying to visualize if that will keep their interest. Might just have to run them through the ships waterslides/rope courses to tire them out and then get off the ship

Any activities that are more physical and relatively close that would keep kids interests ?

I can't think of anything special that would fit the bill.

There is the dolphin encounter (depending on your feelings about that) and that should entertain them.

An island tour can be a bit of a thrill with the steeper hills and turns.

A daysail on a cat or sailboat would certainly be a thrill for your son, at least, especially being in the BVI. I'm sure your son would be allowed to steer the boat and hear the stories of pirates and Treasure Island (Norman Island), that sounds like an exciting day for an 11 year old boy! If interested check out Aristocat, Patouche, and Kuralu.

Even if you don't snorkel it's a great day on the beautiful water among the islands of the BVI!

Hello Bluewater, I want to thank yo for all of your great information and insight with Tortola. After alot of 'back and forth" about what to do we decide to book a day excursion with Aristocat Charters. Thanks again!!

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

Thank you, but there are many great reviews from others on Aristocat and you have made an excellent choice! We just love the area, and it's hard to have a bad day in the BVI. Thanks for researching, that makes all the difference between a mediocre day and a memorable one!

• 2 weeks later...

Well we've learned from others who have visited Tortola more recently that there is at least one vendor (Steve) at Smuggler's Cove with a grill and drinks available. Nigel has also been reported to be back there but since he doesn't have a liquor license he's been relieved of his offerings by the police there at least once I hear. There is also a father/son steel drum band there many days which is also nice.

So if your driver can confirm these amenities are available when you are in port I would very highly recommend going to Smuggler's over any other island beach you may consider (including Jost and VG). Gorgeous beach and views, there were older lounges there free for your use, portapotties, and removed just enough to still avoid overdevelopment.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Water, thanks for the great beach info. Could you tell me more about the water taxi to JVD from CGB? Our stop in Tortola is the too short 7-2:30 one. We would love to get out on the water but had no luck as Aristocat & Kuralu don't have enough customers that day and Patoche & Mystique are already filled. Thanks. Lora

Hi Lora,

Yes that is a short day for going off island. The water taxi operator situation in CGB seems to change year to year. I know the gent who rents boats there provides the service when he has enough ppl to go but it's probably $75 - 100/couple (or more) + the $32/couple taxi fare RT. And your time would be short by the time you got there and then had to leave. I don't have contact info for anyone else right now, sorry.

So not a good option if you can't pre-arrange that.

No help, but with just 6 - 7 hrs to enjoy I'd head for a beach on Tortola. CGB is a fun bay and Brewers is quieter and both are easily reached by taxk for $8pp each way. You could see the Baths on VG too, just a quick day with the ferry schedule.

Good luck!

Hi Lora,

Yes that is a short day for going off island. The water taxi operator situation in CGB seems to change year to year. I know the gent who rents boats there provides the service when he has enough ppl to go but it's probably $75 - 100/couple (or more) + the $32/couple taxi fare RT. And your time would be short by the time you got there and then had to leave. I don't have contact info for anyone else right now, sorry.

So not a good option if you can't pre-arrange that.

No help, but with just 6 - 7 hrs to enjoy I'd head for a beach on Tortola. CGB is a fun bay and Brewers is quieter and both are easily reached by taxk for $8pp each way. You could see the Baths on VG too, just a quick day with the ferry schedule.

Good luck!

Thanks again. I think we will plan on Brewers Bay or maybe Smugglers Cove if our driver knows if the guy with the grill & drinks will be there.

• 4 months later...

Yes shade is a biggie in the tropics!

There are umbrella rentals in Cane Garden Bay. You will also find there is shade around the beach restaurants and along the road but no real natural shade along the water if you're on the beach. The bay is generally very calm, but we've stayed there when it was very rough due to sea swells. So guessing you'd be fine there barring any storms out to sea.

There is natural shade at Smuggler's Cove but few if any amenities. But SC is a popular spot for locals to go swimming and a gorgeous beach, just a little further from the port.

Not sure about umbrella rentals at Brewers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Blue water,

Are taxi drivers typically willing to come back to Smugglers Cove to pick you up if we ask them to? I am afraid that we'll be stuck there with no other way to get back to port!

Thank you so much for all your input!

Yes, you will be able to locate a driver at the dock who will return to pick you up, and won't charge you until you're safely back at the dock.

Enjoy - beautiful beach, and I'm reading there is a vendor or 2 there selling food and drinks. But confirm that with the driver otherwise you'll want to stop at La Baguette or somewhere for a lunch and drinks.

Thank you Blue Water!

In your experience, do the drivers on Tortola

always keep their words and come back? I have heard of many stories in Grand Cayman about taxi not coming back so am a little worried. In a worst case scenario, is there any other way of getting back to port? Any hotels or places nearby we can ask for help locating a taxi?

Thanks!

Yes many people have done this and had no problems. There's always the long shot something happens but they're very good about returning and if they couldn't make it another driver would be called.

Worst-case is you can walk back to the Long Bay Resort that you passed when the road changed from paved to unpaved and call a taxi from there. There are also villas before that, and you'll probably see locals at this beach who would call for you.

You should also have roaming on your cell for an emergency call, just write down the taxi phone # before you leave.