The gorgeous beaches of the BVI

blue_water

Hello again, everyone. I just thought that I would post the information that I received as a reply from someone at the Long Bay Beach Club. She was nice enough to get back to me very quickly. I didn't even ask about day passes because I had read on here that they were no longer available, but she mentioned it anyway:

"I am sorry but we no long sell day passes.

We cannot charge anyone for using the beach. We rent our beach chairs at $5.00 per chair.

The restaurant & bar is open to the public. The restaurant services breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bar I believe is open from 11am – 11pm.

The tennis court can be used at a cost of $25.00 per hour/per court.

The pool is for guests only. We do have a restroom you can use."

I think that's basically what people have shared on here, but I just wanted to pass along the most up-to-date info, because this thread has been so informative and helpful! [emoji4]

Yes the resort down-sized some time ago and you no longer have access to the pool and pool bar. But day visitors can use the restaurant and restroom. All Tortola beaches are public and there is lots of space away from the beachfront cabanas and the resort guests.

Nice long picture postcard beach with great island views and the Pelicans dive there. Be sure to walk down the beach toward Smuggler's Cove and visit Nature Boy's stand. And if you find a driver at LB that will drive you to Smuggler's Cove and wait for you take advantage, gorgeous beach.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been here lately to know if there are now vendors, or still a check with your taxi driver for information on that?

And how long is the ride from cruise ships to Smugglers Cove?

Thanks Kay

Hi Kay, we haven't been this year but friends report Nigel is selling some food and drinks and renting snorkel gear. But I would ask at the visitors center and with the drivers when you arrive for accurate info. The taxi ride is about 20 - 30 minutes, the last 1/2 mile or so is unpaved. Fare is $32 each way for one, $16pp for 2, $14pp for 3 or more.

Have never been to Tortola before, having a hard time deciding on Kuralu or beach day. I love being on out on the water, but then not seeing any of the island is a bummer. Any thoughts if you have been there before, on how to make decision?

I have been in contact with Kuralu, or Gary and it sounds like a great trip.

Blue water, thanks for answering prior beach questions. Thanks Kay

Have never been to Tortola before, having a hard time deciding on Kuralu or beach day. I love being on out on the water, but then not seeing any of the island is a bummer. Any thoughts if you have been there before, on how to make decision?

I have been in contact with Kuralu, or Gary and it sounds like a great trip.

Blue water, thanks for answering prior beach questions. Thanks Kay

Yes what a tough choice! :confused:

With Kuralu you're probably looking at the Day Dream cat out of Road Town and the Norman Island caves and the Indians, Cooper and Peter Islands, or a day at the Baths; If on Kuraly out of West End you also have the west side options of Sandy Spit, Diamond or Green Cay, and Jost. Both are excellent days and I would probably choose that for my day.

Tortola is gorgeous and there are nice beaches. But a day on the water on a cat is very hard to beat, especially with a great operator who knows the waters...

Never heard of them but I looked at their site and they offer some unique tours. But many of these can also be accomplished through very inexpensive group tours that drivers at the port offer.

And I see the excursions that you can do on your own like the Baths, White Bay, Trellis Bay, and others are marked down 25% - 40% but are still very expensive.

So if you see one you like just compare it to the similar ship excursion and what you would pay on your own (with help here) before booking.

Tortola and the other islands of the BVI are gorgeous so it is great that you have a chance to experience them!

• 1 month later...

Yes Little Apple Bay is also a popular spot for local surfers. There are private villas as well as the hotel and villas of Sebastian's. The restaurant is one of our favorite dinner spots - great dishes, wonderful staff, and the sunset on the water is gorgeous! If you are lucky enough to have a late departure dinner there or at Bananakeet for their unmatched sunset views from the mountainside is highly recommended. What a way to end your day on Tortola...

Edited by blue_water

• 4 months later...

I've read through all the posts on this wonderful, informative thread. Blue Water, do you think CGB will be especially crowded on a Friday with only one ship in port? (NCL Breakaway)

And another question: any updates on vendors/facilities at Smuggler's Cove since last report? Thanks so much for your time on this forum. You're very generous! :)

I've read through all the posts on this wonderful, informative thread. Blue Water, do you think CGB will be especially crowded on a Friday with only one ship in port? (NCL Breakaway)

And another question: any updates on vendors/facilities at Smuggler's Cove since last report? Thanks so much for your time on this forum. You're very generous! :)

Thanks for your kind remarks! ;)

With 4,000 fellow cruisers on the Breakaway CGB will be the busiest beach, no doubt. But that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. CGB is a nice, large bay with a deep beach and nice wate, and you will find areas available to rent a lounger and relax with drinks and great food at Myett's or Tony's. Here is a webcam at CGB -

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

Nigel is reported to be back at Smuggler's Cove and selling drinks and renting snorkel gear, not sure what food he has. When Miss Patricia was there Nigel just had a cooler of beer and snorkel gear. But it sounds like he is alone now so...? There are older lounges there that are free, and I was told the portapotty in the parking lot was not there recently so not sure about that.

Smuggler's is a gorgeous beach and worth a little more effort and cost. But you'll want to be sure the driver returns for you there. If you do go there please report back on your experience!

Thanks for your kind remarks! ;)

With 4,000 fellow cruisers on the Breakaway CGB will be the busiest beach, no doubt. But that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. CGB is a nice, large bay with a deep beach and nice wate, and you will find areas available to rent a lounger and relax with drinks and great food at Myett's or Tony's. Here is a webcam at CGB -

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

Nigel is reported to be back at Smuggler's Cove and selling drinks and renting snorkel gear, not sure what food he has. When Miss Patricia was there Nigel just had a cooler of beer and snorkel gear. But it sounds like he is alone now so...? There are older lounges there that are free, and I was told the portapotty in the parking lot was not there recently so not sure about that.

Smuggler's is a gorgeous beach and worth a little more effort and cost. But you'll want to be sure the driver returns for you there. If you do go there please report back on your experience!

Thanks for the update. I will definitely report back if I have any info :)

The beaches of the BVI are indeed beautiful and this thread is meant to provide brief descriptons and comparisons of the beaches for those new to the islands, and to allow others to add their experiences and descriptions. For those wanting a gorgeous beach with some amenities and no crowd there is not one beach that fits that criteria anywhere, of course. But there are several excellent options to choose from in the BVI, and all BVI beaches are free and open to the public.

Tortola -

Cane Garden Bay (CGB) on the northwest side of Tortola is the primary beach destination for cruisers because of the amenities it offers. It is a nice beach in a larger bay that is generally calm but can be wavier with sea swells as with most beaches. CGB is home to several beach bars/restaurants including Myett's, Stanley's (now cousin Tony's), the Elms, Rymers, Big Banana, and Quito's. Quito Rymer is a popular reggae/island recording artist who plays at his bar Thurs & Fri evenings, not to be missed if you have the opportunity. All of these spots have good bar food and drinks and Myett's and others rent lounges.

CGB becomes the most crowded bay in the BVI when cruise ships are docked in Tortola, and if you like a busier or more active vibe CGB is your best choice. Good beer, drink and food choices, as well as some watersports rentals and a water taxi to Jost. There is also taxi service available if you decide CGB is not for you and you want to go to a quieter beach (see below).

Brewers Bay is just to the north of CGB and is a nice beach with great snorkeling, Nicole's beach bar serves drinks and food and rents chairs. Brewers is between CGB and SC in terms of the number of people.

Josiah's Bay lies to the north of Brewer's and is a nice beach with rougher water, very popular with surfers.

Smuggler's Cove is south of CGB and is one of the most beautiful and natural Tortola beaches with calm waves and offers great snorkeling off the beach and gorgeous views of Jost and Sandy Cay. There are currently no vendors at SC so you need to pack a picnic. Smuggler's is a little harder to drive to because of an unpaved and bumpy road for the last mile or so and the fare is a little higher than CGB or Brewer's. And there are just portapotties and no fixed facilities (yet). So it gets less of the crowds and attracts more locals and that's the beauty of Smuggler's. The best spot to enjoy a beautiful beach without the crowd of CGB. You'll need the taxi driver to return to pick you up here.

You will pass Long Bay (Tortola) on the way to Smuggler's and that is a long, beautiful stretch of sand you'll see on picture postcards. Great spot to walk, picnic, or enjoy watching the pelicans dive. Home of the Long Bay Resort which offers day passes and has a small swim-up bar and is a very nice resort. The $20 day pass is for the use of their small pool and pool bar, for $45 you get a burger and 2 drinks.

Long Bay (Beef Island) is a very nice beach locals go to near the airport, very natural with no facilities or amenities.

Trellis Bay near Long Bay Beef is a popular mooring bay with some fun bars and evening fire shows. Many folks who fly directly into EIS (Beef Island airport) will walk to Trellis to enjoy their first cocktail at De Loose Mongoose bar - "You have arrived!". But the beach isn't as nice as the others mentioned.

Here's a http://www.skyviews.com/bviold/tortola/map.htmlmap of Tortola for reference.

Jost Van Dyke -

White Bay on Jost Van Dyke (JVD) is a nice, white sand beach with several beach bars. There's often a busier vibe during the day because a flotilla of cats and motor boats stop there throughout the day to enjoy the scene. It can be a busy vibe along the beach so White Bay is not recommended as a destination for those wanting to enjoy nature and a quiet, relaxing beach. But it can also be quieter, just depends on the day. It is a great spot to enjoy drinks at the Soggy $, Ivan's Stress Free Bar, or be entertained by the magic and card tricks of Seddy (Foxy's son) at his One Love Bar. And you can find good music in the afternoon and evening from Rubin Chinnery at Ivan's on Thursday I believe. It gets quiet at night and is a great place to stay if you want dark skies and quieter nights.

Great Harbor is over the hill and home to Foxy's and other places. Foxy's is a fun place to enjoy, the owner (Foxy Callwood) plays guitar and entertains with his stories. This is a very popular spot for New Years Eve as well. Great Harbor does not have the nice beach like White Bay but is a good spot for mooring and is where the West End, Tortola and USVI ferries dock.

Virgin Gorda -

There are also nice beaches on Virgin Gorda like Savannah and Spring Bay, and of course the famous Baths are bvery unique and worth a visit for those who have yet to experience them. Everything is within a short drive in the Valley which makes it easy to see this part of VG. The easiest way there is on your own, just walk to the ferry to the left of the cruise ship dock and take the 30 min ferry to Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda. You find many taxis available for the short ride to the top of the Baths, you will walk down a trail to get to the beach and the boulders. The drivers will recommend a time to be back at the top for your return to Road Town. There are 2 ferry services (Speedy's and Smith's), and because they have different schedules you can often spend more time on VG by taking one over and the other back but it will cost $10 more per person. If time allows you can have lunch at the Top of the Baths restaurant or even taxi to the Mineshaft Café to enjoy the panoramic view and their signature drink the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, mon!". Also a little shopping available in Spanishtown a short walk from the ferry dock.

Anegada -

The beaches of Anegada are also gorgeous, this is a flat island as compared to the others and is a bit far away for a cruise ship stop but worth a visit if you return for a longer stay.

So the islands of the BVI offer several options for beach-goers, just depends on the experience you want to have. For a more active vibe hit CGB or White Bay, and for snorkeling or a less busy vibe try Smuggler's or Brewers (or Josiah's and Long Bay, Beef Island for a more secluded spot).

And be sure to treat the beaches and other areas with respect and pick up after yourselves, the folks who live there will be very appreciative. The beaches will also be as pristene as you remember them when you return to spend more time in the beautiful BVI!

Enjoy your time in our favorite islands and be sure to post your favorite experiences here too! :)

BLue ... I read on the BVI website that certain beaches on VG were closed until further notice ... Including, The Baths, Devils Bay and Spring Bay. Do you have any idea if that is for the current time? (January 2017) And why?

Thanks

BLue ... I read on the BVI website that certain beaches on VG were closed until further notice ... Including, The Baths, Devils Bay and Spring Bay. Do you have any idea if that is for the current time? (January 2017) And why?

Thanks

Yes there are flooding, high surf, and rip current advisories throughout the BVI and USVI through Friday, hopefully things will calm down this weekend!

Seas can be rough and higher during winter months and some beaches are underwater. But this is worse than normal, probably due to storms at sea or high winds, I haven't looked into it.

Edited by blue_water