Suite Review of the Allure 06.30.2013

Did you buy a soda card (do they still call it that..LOL)? If you did how much was it for the seven day cruise and by any chance did take a picture of the cup they give you.

thanks

The soda package is $6.50 a day for adults (18 and over) and $4.50 a day for children. Plus 15% gratuity.

Did you buy a soda card (do they still call it that..LOL)? If you did how much was it for the seven day cruise and by any chance did take a picture of the cup they give you.

thanks

Hi, my husband did get a soda card. It was a bit over $50 with taxes. Here is the cup, it holds quite a bit...probably 16 - 20 oz.

It isn't really a card. I ordered the soda package on line before the cruise, so my husband had an emblem printed on his sea pass card. I believe if you purchase the soda package on line you will get a sticker on your sea pass card.

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D3964%3B3%3C%3A%3A6337nu0mrj

Hi, my husband did get a soda card. It was a bit over $50 with taxes. Here is the cup, it holds quite a bit...probably 16 - 20 oz.

It isn't really a card. I ordered the soda package on line before the cruise, so my husband had an emblem printed on his sea pass card. I believe if you purchase the soda package on line you will get a sticker on your sea pass card.

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D3964%3B3%3C%3A%3A6337nu0mrj

Thanks...still trying to figure if it will be cost efficient for me..don't drink soda but do have a glass of lemonade once a day or so? Do you know how much a glass is if you don't have this card?

Thanks...still trying to figure if it will be cost efficient for me..don't drink soda but do have a glass of lemonade once a day or so? Do you know how much a glass is if you don't have this card?

I'm not sure how much a glass of soda costs. Only hubby drinks soda. However, if you do not drink soda it would not be worth it to buy the soda package. Lemonade is available at no cost in many of the dining venues.

I'm not sure how much a glass of soda costs. Only hubby drinks soda. However, if you do not drink soda it would not be worth it to buy the soda package. Lemonade is available at no cost in many of the dining venues.

A 12oz can of soda costs $2.59 including tip.

Sweet!!! Thanks for telling me this....you just saved me some money...though the cup is really nice...lol

Cruise Day 4 - Falmouth

I awake again bright and early. I jump out to the balcony and see that we are still at sea. Per my routine, I go down to the Concierge Lounge to get some latte, or I may have mixed it up with a cappuccino. I'm crazy like that. :) The kiddo wanted to go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. There is no charge for Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Before heading down we checked the TV to see if they were full, and capacity was showing as yellow. Green was available, yellow means getting full, and red means full. I really appreciated that feature.

232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B657%3A337nu0mrj

When we got to Johnny Rockets it was actually pretty slow. We were seated immediately, and placed our order soon after. The food came out within minutes. Breakfast was hot, and tasty. It reminded me of local diner food. By the time we finished you could see that we were pulling into port. We had some time to kill, and my husband wanted to try the zipline. The line was short, and within about 5 minutes he had zipped across.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A49%3C%3Dot%3E2447%3D%3C95%3D%3C38%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A554%3C4964246ot1lsi

Our excursion wasn't until 12 Jamaica time, so we decided to walk around Falmouth a bit. Since we had waited for a bit after the ship docked it was easy to get an elevator to the gangway. Falmouth is a cruise ship built area. To me it felt like Epcot's version of Jamaica. I didn't like it. I thought most things were overpriced. Every store seemed to carry the same t-shirts and souvenirs. My daughter ended up buying some nail polish from Del Sol that was supposed to change color in the sun, and, surprise, it doesn't. We did pick up some rum cream, since I can't seem to find that anywhere but Jamaica. I didn't check a lot of alcohol, but I was interested in Grey Goose and the price was better in Cozumel. Even in Cozumel I don't think the price was much better than at home...not enough to have to lug it home in my opinion.

Anyway, after checking out Falmouth we headed to the spot to meet for our excursion. We were doing the Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim, booked through Royal Caribbean. Normally I prefer to book excursions on my own, but I really had a hard time finding a lot of choices for Falmouth. Most tours seemed to be based out of Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, and I wasn't sure how we would get transportation. The horseback tour through Royal was about $100 per person and included the transportation. The ride to the ranch took less than an hour. Our tour guide and driver were quite entertaining and gave us some interesting facts along the ride and taught us some Patois.

Once we got to the ranch things were a bit unorganized. We were told we could get lockers to put our stuff in, but there was another group finishing and the area is very small. We were trying to get our stuff together and put into a locker and we were being told that we needed to leave to get our horse! It had literally been about 2 minutes. We asked if we were going on the trail first or in the water first, but no one seemed to know, so I didn't bring my camera on the trail. Also, I would normally suggest wearing pants for horseback riding, but since we weren't sure if we were going in the water we wore swim shorts and water shoes - not exactly recommended for horseback riding. After being a bit confused we went to the penned area to be fitted to a horse. They randomly bring a horse out, and then look to the group to find a person that fits the horse. We weren't asked about experience at all. It was just a bit backwards from other trail rides I have participated in.

Once everyone was horsed and moved around to be with the people they came with (i.e. their friends and family) we started out on the trail. There was a guide for every 5 or 6 people. They guides were funny, they sang and gave us information about local plants, like allspice, lemons and mangoes. They did like to show off a bit, racing back and forth and making their mounts rear and buck, which I thought was a bit cruel. The trail ride maybe lasted about 45 minutes. We brought back the horses and then changed horses for the swim portion. I really wanted to like this. I really enjoy riding, and did like the trail ride, but the water is just gross. Don't get me wrong, there was a good current in there and it looked beautiful, but a saw horses peeing, and my daughter's horse, two horses in front of me, decided in need to, well, how to put this delicately, poop. Sorry, but it did, and horse poop floats. And my horse walked right through it. It kind of ruined the ideal of riding through the crystal blue Caribbean sea.

After rum punch and jerk was offered (for a price). They also took pictures, but we didn't get any. Overall the day was fun. The horses seemed well taken care of. There were just some things that could be improved to make the excursion better. After we were done we loaded up the bus and listen to Bob Marley on the way back.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A7%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B587%3A337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54434%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B65%3B5337nu0mrj

I have a question for the readers...a family on the bus thought that they had lost one of their sea pass cards. They were freaking out. They literally found it as we were pulling up to the gate to Falmouth. They asked everyone to present their sea pass cards. What would happen if a sea pass card was lost?

Anyhow, we went back up to the room and got ready for dinner. We watched the runners, or in this case strollers. People always amaze me; it was actually after all aboard time, and people would just casually saunter back. Anyways.....

We went to the Concierge Lounge again for cocktails and appetizers before our 7:30 reservation at Giovanni's Table. I can't remember at all what we had, and I checked the online menu to see if it triggered anything, but nope. I just remember really enjoying everything! We had another great server who was helpful and quick.

We did head down to the Promenade after dinner, where they were having a disco party. This was the only time I got a bad drink. Tonight was "Mojito Madness" and my daughter wanted one of the flashy souvenir cups. The server talked me into a "passion" mojito, but it was soooooo sweet, I couldn't even drink it. The show tonight was the headliner show, and we had reservations for the 10:30 show. The show was a mix of comedy and singing. I thought he was quite entertaining.

After the show we brought the kiddo back to the room before heading out again, and we had another friend tonight. The Frontliner's were continuing the disco party in Dazzles so we watched and danced there for a bit. After we went down to Blaze to dance it up a bit. I thought Blaze was actually a mix of ages. There were a lot of young 20s, but there were also people in their 40s dancing. We only stayed until about one before heading back to the room for the evening. When we got back to the room the kiddo was still up! Rut roh!

232323232%7Ffp5434%3B%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B82%3C2337nu0mrj

Enjoying your review, was on the same cruise, so helps me with the "gloom" after the cruise that we all feel, seeing pictures and others perspectives are great.

On your question if you lose you seapass in a tour or at a port. Pretty easy, the cruise line has an office in each port where you will be brought, they verify your picture on file, verify some info (birthdate or SS) and they provide you with a new seapass card. This deactivates the previous card and you are able to walk on board. Experience, my son did this a couple of years ago in Falmouth.

I'm enjoying your review. Years ago (10 or so years ago), we did the same or similar horseback riding excursion. My DH and I still joke about how you could never have the same kind of excursion in US or Canada. I got switched to another horse for the ocean part because that second horse needed "a small rider". One of the guides held my horse's lead rope to keep the horse from running out of the ocean. It seemed like a crazy experience but it was a lot of fun.

I hope to get the next installment done tonight. It's back to work for me, and I'm traveling this week.

I just have to say it is absolutely gorgeous up here this week, and hot, hot,hot! Whoever is lucky enough to have a New England cruise this week is getting some fantastic weather! Last week it was in the 60s and rainy - this week sunny and 90!

With all there is to do, do you think it would be worth it to book a speciality restaurant package ?? We just booked all our entertainment and have MTD, I'm just wondering if there is time for everything ! .........thanks for any help !

Enjoying your review, was on the same cruise, so helps me with the "gloom" after the cruise that we all feel, seeing pictures and others perspectives are great.

On your question if you lose you seapass in a tour or at a port. Pretty easy, the cruise line has an office in each port where you will be brought, they verify your picture on file, verify some info (birthdate or SS) and they provide you with a new seapass card. This deactivates the previous card and you are able to walk on board. Experience, my son did this a couple of years ago in Falmouth.

Hey oracer! Yeah, I think writing is helping me extend the vacation a bit! Thanks for the answer. It seems pretty simple. They way that family was freaking out you would have thought they were going to be stranded in Jamaica for the rest of their lives!

I'm enjoying your review. Years ago (10 or so years ago), we did the same or similar horseback riding excursion. My DH and I still joke about how you could never have the same kind of excursion in US or Canada. I got switched to another horse for the ocean part because that second horse needed "a small rider". One of the guides held my horse's lead rope to keep the horse from running out of the ocean. It seemed like a crazy experience but it was a lot of fun.

Oh my gosh, that does sound crazy! Most of our horses were pretty used to the routine and just followed each other in a big circle in the ocean. It looked like they had a pretty good path. You could see that it was deeper off the path.

With all there is to do, do you think it would be worth it to book a speciality restaurant package ?? We just booked all our entertainment and have MTD, I'm just wondering if there is time for everything ! .........thanks for any help !

I'm glad that we booked the specialty package. We had MTD as well, but I really wanted to try the restaurants. For us it was worth it. We only ate in the MDR twice, but I think that our experience in the specialty restaurants was much better, both the service and the food.

Sorry I didn't get another installment in last night. I have been travelling for work and just got back last night. I hope to get some more done tonight. Stay cool!

Cruise Day 5 – Sea Day

Well today I finally was able to sleep in. Unfortunately I was supposed to meet up with some roll call members at 10 for the cabin crawl, and I completely missed it. After everyone was up and ready we decided to head back to the Concierge Lounge for breakfast.

Today we decided to take advantage of some of the activities the ship has to offer. First we went ice skating. We headed to get our skates and helmet (the helmet is required) when we were asked about signing the waiver. We were told we needed to see someone, sign the waiver, and get a stamp on our hand. So we headed back to waiver lady. I had signed all of our waivers before boarding, so we just had to scan our sea pass card. Signing the waivers ahead of time doesn’t save all that much time; you scan your card and sign the tablet if you had not done it ahead of time. We got the stamp on our hand and went back down to the ice to get our gear. You must have long pants and socks to skate.

The ice rink is pretty small, and it got crowded very quickly.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B4%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B5884337nu0mrj

After we finished skating we headed to the rock wall. As you get to the top of the stairs to the rock wall you will pick up your climbing shoes and sign your waiver. They will harness you up and get you a helmet. I think I did pretty good; I got about half way up the wall and then I made the mistake of looking down. It seemed like I was so high! Then I looked up to see how far I had to go to reach the top, so sure that I must be within a few feet. Yah, no. I froze, I couldn’t make myself reach for the next handhold so I just kicked off. The kiddo got almost as high as I did! Hubby chickened out about three feet off the ground!

232323232%7Ffp54374%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B5887337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B5889337nu0mrj

We were still in jeans from ice skating, and dying from heat, so before we went anywhere else we changed. Next up on our adventure tour is the zipline. Hubby had already done it once and was insisting I needed to try it. Kiddo didn’t want anything to do with it. I have ziplined before in Mexico and Honduras, but I am terrified of heights. There was something about looking down from deck 15 onto the Boardwalk that enhanced my fear. I didn’t really want to go, but I also didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to zipline on a ship, so I got in line. To zipline you must be in dry clothes with closed toe shoes and wearing no watches, necklaces, sunglasses and you may not carry any items such as your camera or sea pass card.

Once you get to the front of the line you’ll sign your waiver (notice the pattern here? I didn’t) and they’ll get you your gear. Meanwhile, my heart is just beating faster and faster, and I’m sure my face has gone pale. I watch a few people go ahead of me, and then it’s my turn. The crew member staffing the zipline was friendly and asked me how I was, to which I admitted I was scared. He must have been used to it; he had me take his hand and look into his eyes. It didn’t hurt that he had an incredibly sexy accent and was hottt! He put my hand on the handlebar, told me to lift my feet, and pushed me off. I concentrated so hard on the other side I didn’t even notice the height. I’m glad it only lasted a couple of seconds!

232323232%7Ffp73477%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8345337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54388%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8348337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv973%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8353337nu0mrj

Our next stop was the flow rider. I am pretty much uncoordinated so we headed to the boogie board side. This activity hubby was sitting out so the kiddo and I got in the very long line to wait our turn. We waited about 45 minutes before the staff member saw my daughter and I, then pointed at her wrist. We needed wristbands showing we had signed the waiver! D’oh! We ran over to the window to sign the waiver. There was a family trying to decide if they wanted to get lessons. They couldn’t figure out if they wanted to, or when our how many people, so they called up their friends/family, and we waited, and waited, and waited. We must have waited 20 minutes to sign the waiver and get our wristbands. By then our spot in line was long gone and I didn’t think it was fair to jump to the beginning of the line because I was stupid.

Unfortunately, this was when the previous late night caught up with my daughter and she turned into cranky teen. I’m sure all of you parents that have had/or currently have teen are familiar with this creature. I was hoping we had left cranky teen at home, but alas she somehow managed to tag along. She didn’t want to wait. I tried to explain my reasoning, but of course I know nothing, and cranky teen knows all. So we headed back to the stateroom, which is where cranky teen stayed until dinner (by her choice). Well I’m on vacation and I want to ride the danged flow rider! So back up I went and waited about an hour for my turn to finally arrive. Oh my gosh, I didn’t think anyone could be so bad. I had a long time to watch people to see how it was done. I thought it would be a piece of cake. I even had the staff member explain how to ride.

So I’m standing there with the boogie board in my hands. I place my hands as I’ve been instructed and launch myself onto the flow rider…and I head right of the edge on the bottom! I push myself back and the water pressure promptly pushes me to the edge. I look up at the staff member, he says something about my feet but I can’t really hear him over the rushing water, so I launch myself again, this time I lift my feet, but I’m still being pushed out, so I lean right (toward the middle) and that doesn’t work, so I lean left, and I’m out. Ugh! I look up again, and I think he says I need to put my feet down. I confirm this with hubby who is sitting in the stands. He is laughing his butt off. Okay, launch myself again, feet down, but I’m still being pushed out. I drag my right foot and lean to the right….and I’m out. The only thing that did was put blue smudges on my toenails! Oh for crying out loud! I can see the staff member is feeling bad for me, and is going to let me try again, but I’m done, and I get a round of applause as I exit. I did not know that someone could suck so bad at boogie boarding! It was pretty comical.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A9%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8355337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7589%3Dot%3E2447%3D%3C95%3D%3C38%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A554%3C4997246ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp54357%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8363337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp7348%3A%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B58%3A%3A337nu0mrj

We head back to the stateroom to check on cranky teen. She does NOT want to go to lunch. Okay. Hubby and I decide to check out the Solarium buffet. It was okay. Healthier choices but still buffet food that is lukewarm. We thought we might lounge in the solarium since it was just the two of us, but there was no breeze and solarium was quite hot. So we wandered the ship with mojito in hand. I thought a cupcake might appease cranky teen, but no dice. I spent most of the afternoon relaxing and reading.

Random pictures -

232323232%7Ffp54359%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B65%3A7337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5438%3B%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B5877337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3865%3Dot%3E2447%3D%3C95%3D%3C38%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A554%3C4969246ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp734%3A8%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8367337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B58%3B3337nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D39645%3B8368337nu0mrj

Tonight was our second formal night. I wanted to get some more formal pictures of the family, unfortunately cranky teen was still aboard and had zero interest in participating in that activity. Hubby and I did manage to get some nice pictures of just the two of us. We had reservations at 6:30 in the main dining room tonight. Our experience this night was much better than the first. The waiter was prompt and checked on us frequently and the drink server came back more than once! Hubby and I both had the prime rib, which was quite tasty.

232323232%7Ffp5435%3B%3Enu%3D3356%3E%3B%3A4%3E%3B47%3EWSNRCG%3D396459%3B%3A65337nu0mrj

We had reservations for Ice Games. I knew it would be chilly in the ice arena, so we all changed out of our formal wear. Suite guests have a reserved section right on the ice, and three rows back. We were able to get excellent seats in the middle and right on the glass. It was great because the skaters would have the audience participate in a few of the skits. I am always amazed at the skill it takes to skate in such a small rink and in a moving ship! The story was fun and the skating was great! The show had the power to send cranky teen packing, thank goodness!! However, we know she could return if the kiddo didn’t get some sleep tonight, so we brought her back to the stateroom before hubby and I headed out.

We didn’t do too much tonight. We most likely listened to the guitar player at the Bow and Stern, maybe headed to the piano bar for a bit, or hit the casino before deciding to turn in for the night. Thankfully when we got back the kiddo was sound asleep!

I am so enjoying your review! Thank you so much!!

This is why I read the reviews. Because of you, I now know we need to bring one pair of jeans (for ice skating) and socks and tennis shoes for skating, rock wall and zip lining. If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't have known that.

THANK YOU!!

Archived