Just off Jewel of the Seas

The 2 drills make sense. Having one and only one at 8:00 not only interupts dinner but also there are usually shows going on at that time. In addition, it is dark so to have that many people jammed on deck in lower light, with their dinners getting cold etc etc makes no sense at all.

I have to question those that say there is only one at 8:00. Anxious to hear what those who are sailing in the next couple of weeks will have to say.

I'll take note of whether it is one or two drills on Saturday. :D

We had only 1 drill on our cruise on Jewel on 21st September.

Btw, here is some new photos of the AFT balcony 7172:

DSC_0004_zpsdb10e8b6.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsf61b07df.jpg

DSC_0002_zps872626fd.jpg

What time was the 1 muster drill? If it was 8:00 tuen what did those who were in the middle of dinner do?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Cruised on the JOS 9/7/13 - 1 muster drill at 8:00pm. No escargot. For the Muster drill, our meeting site was Portofino's. You do not bring your life jacket. The sooner everyone gets there, the sooner everyone gets to leave after the instructions. Don't be late!

Sailed on the Navigator two years ago and loved that ship. Thinking about doing this itinerary in May 2014. Am I going to be disappointing dropping down to the Radiance class?

It depends on what you like. If the promenade and ice rink very important to you then it may be a bit of a disappointment on the Jewel . However the Radiance Class are my favorite ships. Since it is such a port intensive itinerary that the Jewel is doing I personally don't think anyone would miss the amenities of the larger ships. I think the Jewel is a more relaxing cruise experience, which is the perfect counterpart to a port intensive itinerary.

I was on the Allure this past May and I absolutely loved that cruise. My upcoming cruise on the Jewel will be a different experience, but I fully expect it to be just as enjoyable. We cruised on the Allure for the ship. We are cruising on the Jewel mainly for the itinerary, but we have been on the ship before and truly love it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from my B2B onboard the Jewel of The Seas. I wanted to report back on the muster drill and escargot situation. There is only one muster drill and it is at 8 PM. There is also no escargot because of a shortage in Europe (this is what I was told by a waiter, so I'm not 100% sure if this is true). Escargot has now been replaced by what is call crab and salmon gratin that you can get as an appetizer every night. It is the same recipe as the escargot, except that there are small bites of crab and salmon where the snails are supposed to be. There is also scallop au gratin on formal night now, which replaces the escargot. It is close, but not the same.

My DH and I had a great time on the Jewel. If anyone has any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

I just got back from my B2B onboard the Jewel of The Seas. I wanted to report back on the muster drill and escargot situation. There is only one muster drill and it is at 8 PM. There is also no escargot because of a shortage in Europe (this is what I was told by a waiter, so I'm not 100% sure if this is true). Escargot has now been replaced by what is call crab and salmon gratin that you can get as an appetizer every night. It is the same recipe as the escargot, except that there are small bites of crab and salmon where the snails are supposed to be. There is also scallop au gratin on formal night now, which replaces the escargot. It is close, but not the same.

My DH and I had a great time on the Jewel. If anyone has any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Looking forward to being there in about 10 days. How was the weather and water temps?

AceMonkey, I have several questions--What are the formal nights on the Jewel? Was there any theme nights on the cruise and if so, what were they? I've read about a white party. Were you on the itinerary to Martinique? Is there a midnight buffet? Do you have your cruise compasses, and are you planning to post them? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken me a little while to respond guys. I apologize. Been busy with work, etc. In regards to weather and water temperature, it was cool and comfortable. Highs in the upper 80's, so I was able to wear shorts and to get into the water and not be cold.

We did stay in Puerto Rico the night before at the Water and Beach club. It is located in Isla Verde. I loved it! It was a gorgeous hotel. If you do happen to go to the beach in Puerto Rico, bring some off as I was attacked by sand fleas.

I actually didn't keep my compasses, so I can't post those. They did have two theme nights. One was white and the other was a 70's theme. I will have to look at my itineraries again to see which nights were formal.

I have a few questions as well:

• Were the formal nights the same on both legs and, if so, which nights. (I think I read another posting that said the first was night 2 but the second was different on each leg of his B2B)
  • Which night was 70s party?
  • Which night was Quest?

For thetone:

I expected to be disappointed with the Radiance Class when I cruised on Serenade in 2010. I booked it because I loved the itinerary. Surprisingly, I liked the ship BETTER...which is why I'm back on Radiance class for my next cruise.

As Sunny said, the cruises out of San Juan are very port intensive. With only one sea day, you wont' have time to miss those extras. The Radiance Class ships are smaller and feel less crowded. The decor is more upscale and you can see the ocean from nearly EVERYWHERE, which I LOVE! Activities are more intimate and it's easier to get to know your staff and fellow cruisers. I love this class of ship.

For me, the cruise is primarily about the ports of call, coupled with a level of service that exceeds what I've experienced on land. For some, the SHIP is the destination - a vacation on a floating resort. I suspect those are the biggest fans of the new mega ships and I'm glad they have this option available. But personally, I hope RCL never eliminates the smaller ships that focus on the CRUISE experience. I'm not looking for all the resort features like carousels, bumper cars and animated movie character breakfasts. I love being able to see multiple locations on one vacation and being treated like Royalty every day. Ahhhhh....just four more months....

Crab and salmon gratin sounds good. I hope they are still serving it when I sail. :)

We did go into the liquor store, but we didn't buy any wine (we already had some with us), although they have a nice selection of wine. We did however notice that you could buy the smaller bottles of alcohol (and in some cases depending on who you got in checkout) even the mid size bottles of alcohol to bring on the ship. The larger size bottle they bagged and would have sent to the room via the ship after the cruise.