Silver Shadow Fails Sanitation Inspection After Caught Hiding Filthy Conditions from

mikedoes

Marian,

Just thinking rationally about your concern. If I were you, I'd book a 10 minute appointment as soon after you board as you can with he F&B manager and put to him all of your concerns and seek some reassurance.

This should put your mind at rest once and for all, and stop you spending valuable time fretting. If he is worth his space he will perfectly understand and respect both your concerns and candour and address them.

Jeff

So come on folks ,let's have some hard facts about current practices and less raking over the coals.

It is my pleasure to feedback and share some intelligence that emerged from a " trusted" SS source today.

I am told that all ships have been retrofitted with CCTV cameras to continuously record activities in food preparation and crew areas. If this is correct, it would seem to be a commendable step forward in the battle to restore SS credibility. This is the first I have heard of this initiative; but that may well be my own fault for not paying attention to the plethora of posts on this thread.

So the question is- has anyone else heard of this? If so, can anyone confirm that it is it factually correct? And if so what do contributors to this thread think about it?

Apologies in advance if I have been fed a porky ( translation of patois for Freddy and others - porky pie - aka a lie).

And even more grovel, grovel if everyone but me is aware.:o

It is my pleasure to feedback and share some intelligence that emerged from a " trusted" SS source today.

I am told that all ships have been retrofitted with CCTV cameras to continuously record activities in food preparation and crew areas. If this is correct, it would seem to be a commendable step forward in the battle to restore SS credibility. This is the first I have heard of this initiative; but that may well be my own fault for not paying attention to the plethora of posts on this thread.

So the question is- has anyone else heard of this? If so, can anyone confirm that it is it factually correct? And if so what do contributors to this thread think about it?

Apologies in advance if I have been fed a porky ( translation of patois for Freddy and others - porky pie - aka a lie).

And even more grovel, grovel if everyone but me is aware.:o

It would appear that I may have misunderstood somewhat. CCTV is not to be installed until the next dry dock for each ship. A good move but rather late to reassure passengers on upcoming cruises.:o

I wonder why the CCTV cameras cannot be installed now?

Marian,

Just thinking rationally about your concern. If I were you, I'd book a 10 minute appointment as soon after you board as you can with he F&B manager and put to him all of your concerns and seek some reassurance.

This should put your mind at rest once and for all, and stop you spending valuable time fretting. If he is worth his space he will perfectly understand and respect both your concerns and candour and address them.

Jeff

As usual, a very well thought out idea! While I am not fretting quite as much, we will probably speak with Chef David Bilsland, Silversea Culinary Trainer when we are onboard next week. We have met him before and have confidence that he will be truthful with us.

Thank you for another good idea:-)

P.S. I read on the Regent board that Silversea has apologized on their Facebook page. Does anyone know about this? I suppose I could check myself but really do not like to get involved with Facebook.

As usual, a very well thought out idea! While I am not fretting quite as much, we will probably speak with Chef David Bilsland, Silversea Culinary Trainer when we are onboard next week. We have met him before and have confidence that he will be truthful with us.

Thank you for another good idea:-)

P.S. I read on the Regent board that Silversea has apologized on their Facebook page. Does anyone know about this? I suppose I could check myself but really do not like to get involved with Facebook.

Thanks.

Sorry - you referring to David reminded me.....:)

In the depths of my memory, I think David was a standard Exec Chef on one of the ships and I have a recollection of a discussion with him about how to prepare deep fried food healthily. An interesting Phd student In New Zealand did some remarkable research and produced some contra- intuitive conclusions about how to deep fry.

In the other picture of my wonderful kebabs last night you may notice a double Lincat deep fryer which was the terrible result of my experiments to see whether deep fried food could be healthy. I spent several years in pursuit of the perfect batter fro fish and chips.

Happy days!

Enjoy your cruise.

It would appear that I may have misunderstood somewhat. CCTV is not to be installed until the next dry dock for each ship. A good move but rather late to reassure passengers on upcoming cruises.:o

I wonder why the CCTV cameras cannot be installed now?

To be honest, your post confuses me a bit.

I thought all of the ships general areas were already completely covered by cctv for fire and security purposes. If i have misunderstood, then retro fitting is no big project. IP cameras are simply spliced in to the existing coms systems or failing that are simply plugged into the standard power circuits using "home-plug" technology or even just wifi. It is a 5 minute job per camera.

To be honest, your post confuses me a bit.

I thought all of the ships general areas were already completely covered by cctv for fire and security purposes. If i have misunderstood, then retro fitting is no big project. IP cameras are simply spliced in to the existing coms systems or failing that are simply plugged into the standard power circuits using "home-plug" technology or even just wifi. It is a 5 minute job per camera.

Confused Moi? Oui.

I now have to hand a copy of the SS briefing to T/A's:

"CCTV is being placed in appropriate corridors at the next dry docking to ensure no foodstuffs or other equipment is brought into crew accommodation areas."

Not quite what I recall I was told which was there would be new cover in Food prep areas and crew accommodation areas.

Are you saying there is already cover in the Food prep areas?

If so, would this not have captured evacuation of trolleys and contents ? And any other dubious past food management practices?

Have I raised a hare and inadvertently made this far too complicated.

I need to lie down.:(

I thought I recalled from a bridge visit that all non-suite areas were covered extensively by cctv ie they could see every part of the ship from the bridge. I would have thought the kitchens as being a high risk fire area and therefore already have cctv to bridge cover ie so they old control false smoke fire alarms.

However, if not then the installation of High Definition colour cameras is very easy. The cameras are simply plugged into existing sockets, or at most a spur taken from an existing circuit and socket added. You then plug a homeplug into the socket and plug the camera into the homeplug. You can now see all cameras from anywhere you choose. If you want ( as the pics I showed earlier of the beach and mat of one of our homes) from anywhere in the world - even from a phone. If there is an existing socket then you simply plug it in. Obviously, they would secure their's just to the ship. 10 seconds. If you need a new spur then the on board electrician simply adds one. The cables aren't inside the metal, they are all surface mounted. That would take an extra 5 minutes. They can then be viewed and permanently record. Ours record for two yeas before they start to wipe old recordings.

I'm just a touch cynical of them making this sound complicated when it really isn't. I've installed (I think) around 20 of them which reassures us whilst we travel and is an insurance requirement.

They could instal them now if they wanted to.

Archived