Paradise island ferry????

spidybabe

Sailing on NCL Gem in August. Somebody told me that taking the ferry in Nassau to Paradise Island was easy, fast, fun and a nice way to see some sights and spend part of the day? I can't find any info on it, except trip advisor rates it high. Where would we get the ferry? How often do they run? What is near the ferries? Thanks in advance for any info?

Safe sailing

When you get off at the dock, you go through a building with shopping and such. There is a desk to buy the tickets for the ferry ($4 pp one way). You then hang a right and go all the way past the end of the building where there is a dock for the excursion boats. You can then get on and wait til the boat fills up because they won't leave unless they're full.

It's a decent little trip, but there is a "guide" who just likes to yell alot. Luckily noone paid any attention to him on our trip and he shut up.

It's alright once, I guess, but I'll stick to cabs in the future. They're quicker and you don't get wet if it rains.

Ferry Boats run every 30 minutes from the downtown wharf starting at 9:30am - 6pm daily.

Each boat has 30 minutes to put on as many people as they can to thier capacity (port authority inspected). If you're the first person on the boat, this seems like a long time.

There is a tour guide, who has to Shout over the rude people talking while he's talking. He works on tips. It doesn't hurt to give him a dollar or 2.

Ferry costs $4pp.

If you are in a hurry take a cab. If you want a relaxing ride in the harbour.. check out the Ferry boats.

Personally, I love them.

I'd call it more of a water taxi ...

and as I recall it is a fair walk from where it drops you on P.I. to Atlantis if that's where you are bound. Not crazy long, but you are certainly not at the front door....

from: http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/about-the-island/travel-tips/

Ferry boats (water taxis) can take you between Nassau and Paradise Island while at the same time giving you a waterfront view of Nassau Harbor. Tickets can be purchased at the tour desk at Festival Place and at Woodes Rogers Wharf right next door. Tickets cost about $6 per person and the trip is approximately 10 minutes each way. Ferries leave every half hour on the hour from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

I'd call it more of a water taxi ...

and as I recall it is a fair walk from where it drops you on P.I. to Atlantis if that's where you are bound. Not crazy long, but you are certainly not at the front door....

from: http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/about-the-island/travel-tips/

Ferry boats (water taxis) can take you between Nassau and Paradise Island while at the same time giving you a waterfront view of Nassau Harbor. Tickets can be purchased at the tour desk at Festival Place and at Woodes Rogers Wharf right next door. Tickets cost about $6 per person and the trip is approximately 10 minutes each way. Ferries leave every half hour on the hour from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

It's a block and 1/2 to Marina Village and the Coral Tower entrance.

The Cost is $4pp/

There is nothing fast about the water taxi. They will not depart until it's bursting to the gills with passengers, and the "tour guide" on the boat will more or less shake you down for a tip on the way out, saying that he's not paid by the taxi operator (which is not true).

I'd say we waited about 25 minutes after boarding the boat to leave, and it was a solid 15-20 minute "scenic ride"

There is nothing fast about the water taxi. They will not depart until it's bursting to the gills with passengers, and the "tour guide" on the boat will more or less shake you down for a tip on the way out, saying that he's not paid by the taxi operator (which is not true).

I'd say we waited about 25 minutes after boarding the boat to leave, and it was a solid 15-20 minute "scenic ride"

A little exaggerated, but I'll leave it at that.

As posted earlier.. each boat has a capacity.. and it's posted.

And the TOUR GUIDE is not paid by the boat operator.. it's the other way around. the tour guide has to give a % to the captain.

I know this because I have good friends who own a couple of ferries and my kids have worked summers on these boats.

Please don't post things that are simply not true.

I agree with you, very crowded boats that did not look safe to us. Waiting up to 20 min. while diesel fumes filled the cabin was not pleasant.

Take the cab !

Edited by runner15km

I agree with you, very crowded boats that did not look safe to us. Waiting up to 20 min. while diesel fumes filled the cabin was not pleasant.

Take the cab !

Stands to reason that if they run every 30 minutes that some people have to wait for the ferry fill up and leave on time.

• 4 months later...